Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

New to the game. Lots of Q's. Please chime in if ya know anything at all :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to the game. Lots of Q's. Please chime in if ya know anything at all :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Benny5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the game. Lots of Q's. Please chime in if ya know anything at all :)

Hi guys and girls,

I just got into the RC seen this week. Went down to the hobby shop and got a Tamiya TL-01 4WD. The shop owner is helpful and had me buy a lot of things in order to run on his oval track with others... Essentially suggested i get his standard kit and keep things stock so I meet his requirement for running his oval on Friday nights.

Well that's all well and good, but being curious and highly interested... I'd like to know what all I can get out of my machine.

A few questions...and answer any and all that you can... I'm sure they've all been asked a billion times and I apologize for that, and I've been reading a lot of posts and am just trying to pickup whatever I can...so if I've frustrated you by now I apologize, those of you patient enough and willing to help I appreciate it. Here's some Q's...

1) What would you suggest when it comes to batteries for
a)race performance
and
b) long running time

2) What would you suggest when it comes to best ESC for my model... I keep seeing the Super Rooster listed, is that the best available?

3) What kind of shocks do you suggest and what's the best available?

4) What's the best pinion gear and motor combination for
a)race performance with better LOWend (turning capabilities/acceleration, steady speed through tricky parts)
and
b)race performance with better HIGHend (overall top speed and maybe acceleration)

Anyways I guess that's all for now. I'm essentially looking for easy explanations of quality upgrades.

I'm looking to have an awesome car sometime down the road, but I might also get another kit and keep it stock with the little allowable upgrades so I can still race at the hobby shop. So your suggestions and opinions will definitely be taken in and analyzed by me as I sink my teeth into my new found hobby.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the car I bought...
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...l01/58287.html
Old 02-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Benny5

Default New to the game. Lots of Q's. Please chime in if ya know anything at all :)

i should also mention i already have an ESC in it...i believe it said EVX on it. and i have a Python AM remote. thanks again.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

personaly i see the rooster as a monster truck speedo.
all the answers to these questions are waiting for you down at the track, those guys have spent months and years racing there and theres no way anyone here can say "do this" and you'll instantly do something thats different and better than anyone there. the set ups are all there, ok, you have to go and race a pants car for a week or two, but it wont be long before you see the motor most choose, the batts, the pinions, the tires, even which shell.
my biggest tip unless its already got it is BALLRACES
Old 02-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Benny5

ballraces? i don't get what that is.

and as far as down at the track goes...it's everybody running the same exact kit and stock everything, so the only help will be the hobby shop owner and i was looking for other opinions... just other people's ideas of what would be good and what most people run on Tamiya, because there isn't much variety 'down at the track' for me. a general outline of simple upgrades and better parts.

thanks for your input though, i'll try to look around for other tracks, and see what i can learn.

peace.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

the ballraces are bearings, some kits come with plastic or brass bushings, some with propper ball bearings. this is one of the bigest things you can do to improve a cars performance.
While its true that everyone might run the same car and have the same upgrade bits what makes the difference is things like which spring do they use, how many holes on the piston, what shock posistion, and what oil, and all this is for just one shock! then you get things like which pinion, toe-in, toe-out, camber, ackerman, diff tension, which stock motor, which batts. things like this arnt standard, most are different depending on the driver, so see if you can get to use a few cars and see which feels best to you. then try and start with this set up and tweak it for your self
Old 02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Benny5

thanks for the info. anybody else? with anything else?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:59 PM
tedder06
My Feedback: (2)

Hey dude i'll tell you to get a novak cyclone unless you want to be able to backup then go with the super rooster. Get the ball bearing kit. and also get the better Battery holder. For batteries I would go with the 2400 NICD stick packs.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:30 AM
fun_dude101

If u can afford it and track allows it, go with 2400mah matched batteries. The matched means they are all identical. Make sure u have a pretty good peak charger. Not one of those cheap timer chargers. Ask, the shop guy what most people use on their pinions. Then try one and see how it does for u. If u need more punch, go down a tooth or two. If u need more top speed, go up a tooth or two. Every track is different on how u set ur cars up. Just practice as much as u can and see what works for you.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Benny5

yeah thanks guys... we can only run 1500s?? (1500 Dynamite Dyna-Sport) as a rule at the track.

i should've told you all that the charger i bought was the TEAM INTEGY indi 16X3-prov2.5vesc charge, discharge &cycle.

so i already own 3 of those 1500s and i'm guessing the charger is decent since i paid 130 for it and he highly recommended it and he seems to be a straight shooter.

i'll look into all of the suggested upgrades as i improve my driving skills and look to get away from the "stock" races. thanks for all the suggestions and comments, keep them coming, i truly appreciate the help.