Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Better motor for xl5

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 AM
freestylingford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better motor for xl5

I have a xl5 stampede with an 8 cell battery pretty fast if you ask me if i wanted to stick with the xl5 is there a better motor than the titan for acceleration and top speed? Also I have bought 3 titan motors new and whats funny is the original motor is faster than the 3 new ones identical to it. Is there some type of breakin on these motors Ihave pushed on the brush holder while the motor was turning and it does spin faster when I do that i guess it gives it a better connection to the commutator?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:29 AM
JacksSpleen

Default RE: Better motor for xl5

I have Team Orion SV2 BB 15T running in my Pede now, good top speed and tons more torque. With an 8 cell battery you'd be flying. One rule of thumb with the brushed modified motors is the gear 2 teeth down from the turn of the motor so if you running a 15T motor than you need a 13 tooth pinion gear (this only a rule of thumb with the Stampede tranny). (The XL-5 can only handle a 15T 540 size motor of 12T 550 size).You might want to take a look into a brushless setup if you’ve already replaced 3 titans and new brushed modified is going to take some maintenance to keep it running at top performance. I can’t say why your other titans aren’t as fast Traxxas does recommend a short break-in in the manual.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:47 AM
freestylingford

by going from a stock 19 tooth down to a 13 I'd still be faster with the orion gearing it down that much? I think the 8 cells may be frying the motors they last about 2 weeks.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought an Orion 17x2 motor for like 30 bucks from tower hobbies. I will be running a 15T pinion gear. I have heard of a few other guys who have these motors and really like them. All i have heard are good things. I havent installed mine yet but will soon.
I also run an 8 cell. So it should be ALOT faster once installed.

What 8 cell battery are you using? Got a link so i can check it out?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 AM
freestylingford

heres the battery great run times and lots of power over my 3800 mah 6 cells I have 3 of these 8 cells. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget
Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 AM
JUCD VPR

Yup we run the same batteries.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 AM
JacksSpleen

ORIGINAL: freestylingford

by going from a stock 19 tooth down to a 13 I'd still be faster with the orion gearing it down that much?

I wondered about that too. I first put the 13T pinion on the 15T SV2 and the thing would just about flip over with the torque. Top speed wasnt bad either I would say it was faster than titan by a couple mph it also stayed very cool. I seemed to have found th sweet spot for the gearing at 15T pinion on the 15T motor good top speed and still enough torque to flip it over. It does get pretty warm with constant driving. Really like I said it seems to be a good place to start (2 teeth below turn) than fine tune from there on driving conditions and such. I have to say I burnt up my titan in like a month on a 6 cell battery, I dont think they are the most durable of motors.

hey JUCD I see your looking for batteries I've heard these 8 cells will knock the heck out of motor (40a draw.) I dont know if there any good but might be a worth look see.
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1730
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 AM
JUCD VPR

I have 3 8 cell batteries that i run now, i'm always looking for a good battery to run.

These tenergy batteries are WEIRD, these 8 cells run GREAT in my Stampede.

So i fugured if they ran so good in my Pede then they would run good in my E-Savage 7 CELLS of course not 8 but the same brand right....WRONG they freakin caught on fire and started smoking bad. So i'm still looking for a good 7 cell battery for my E-Savage that dosen't cost an arm and a leg, the IB4200 7 cells are like 120 buck for the set WAY to much for batteries in my opinion. I already boguth a set for my brushless E-Maxx and they work good but thats to much money to be buying more ya know.