Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hitting 80 mph!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
BanditMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitting 80 mph!?!?

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

ORIGINAL: custmemaxx

Are you clueless? Have you driven a BL truck at 50mph? And I doubt that it does 60+, it was a 2.5 stock
I have a good amount of knowledge. I have an emaxx that pushes into the high 40mph range with a hv 4.5. The jato stock is rated at 70+ so that means it should and will do 55-65 out of the box. Now apparently you don't have a clue if you can't read a traxxas box.
You really believe Traxxas claims? Go ahead and try to hit 80+. Oh, and get a video.
It's obvious he doesn't really believe in their claims......which is why he stated that if the box says 70+, it's got to be able to do atleast 55-65 out of the box......

I doubt traxxas would make a 70+mph claim and then have it go only 55mph, that number is so modest for what that model can do.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
custmemaxx

So the jato does what speed out of the box? I would expect it to do around 65 with no mods. My emaxx was rated at 25 or 30 and it did like 21. The speed for all traxxas vehicals on the box comes with one small mod. Like the emaxx is with 7 cells as apposed to 6 cells most people use. I think the Jato is gearing. Again I still didn't hit the top speed on the box. So 60-65 is what I am thinking the Jato can do.

I understand that 60+ mph is fairly hard to controll but we don't care about that. We are just now getting used to our emaxxes at 40+ but that is a very large heavy and unstable truck at those speeds. This vehical we build won't be at 90 mph most of the time it just isn't practical to drive that fast all the time but consistant runs at 60 will happen I am sure.

It is hard for me to follow half of these posts since I don't know the modle line up of any company other than traxxas and some of the tamiyas.
Since we have traxxas already we will probably just do a Jato. But Like I said he was looking into doing a car at first. Thanks for all your help so far. I will post pics AND video once we are done. I would guess it will be 2-4 weeks since he works 6 days a week, and I work five.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
coleholley

So the jato does what speed out of the box? I would expect it to do around 65 with no mods. My emaxx was rated at 25 or 30 and it did like 21. The speed for all traxxas vehicals on the box comes with one small mod. Like the emaxx is with 7 cells as apposed to 6 cells most people use. I think the Jato is gearing. Again I still didn't hit the top speed on the box. So 60-65 is what I am thinking the Jato can do.

I understand that 60+ mph is fairly hard to controll but we don't care about that. We are just now getting used to our emaxxes at 40+ but that is a very large heavy and unstable truck at those speeds. This vehical we build won't be at 90 mph most of the time it just isn't practical to drive that fast all the time but consistant runs at 60 will happen I am sure.

It is hard for me to follow half of these posts since I don't know the modle line up of any company other than traxxas and some of the tamiyas.
Since we have traxxas already we will probably just do a Jato. But Like I said he was looking into doing a car at first. Thanks for all your help so far. I will post pics AND video once we are done. I would guess it will be 2-4 weeks since he works 6 days a week, and I work five.
You also have the option of the 4tec if you want to do a traxxas and a car.

P.S. I don't live far away so I should come watch this thing. LOL Just Joking.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:24 PM
IamDisaster

If you go micro you can get 80mph very inexpensively. Your biggest issue will be aerodynamics and control. It is nearly impossible to do an 80mph speed run without a moving chase vehicle. You will run out of the radio range way too fast.

All you need to do is get yourself an M18. Drop a very large pinion in it. Use a Mamba or a Quark, a 7000kV motor and a 3 cell Lipo...maybe two in parallel. Accelerate slowly and you will be there.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 PM
imnew4321

Well I really dont know if it was traxxas but it was someone like them. Sorry I am a beliver
Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Medrivfast

If you do the Jato than i suggest getting the dirt hawg tires in the rear. They balloon like crazy and that should help you on the top end.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast
If you do the Jato than i suggest getting the dirt hawg tires in the rear. They balloon like crazy and that should help you on the top end.
And kill your control........get tires that dont balloon. Anacondas maybe?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
poe

It is easy to stop the balooning though.. A layer of duct tape on the inside of the tire works well.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 PM
mse4x4

i agree with cole holley 4-tec nitro 3.3 claims 70mph out of box and my LHS guy said jato's are under rated at there 65mph claim, but it's 4wd which u don't want, it's made togo fast and handle. heck if money is not a very big issue what's 5 bills for a car than another however much for the BL set-up. i'm sorry, i'm new will about 6 weeks old in this, but this conversion is interesting.

me
Old 03-24-2007, 10:21 PM
bxpitbull

My friend is planning building a car to do no less than 80mph. What would be the best car to start with and then what brushless motor and drivetrain up grades!?! Thanks for the info. Price isn't much of an issue but he doesn't want to spend any more than me must. Thanks again.
P.S. Planning on doing an on road car but if a stadium truck can be done what are the options there?
Reach out to RURC. He will build a fast car for you that will run circles around nitro cats.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: imnew4321

There is a nitro car that is supposed to do 100 out of the box, it is by traxxas.
Ummm... No there isnt Are you sure it didnt say 10?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
BanditMonster

ORIGINAL: bxpitbull

My friend is planning building a car to do no less than 80mph. What would be the best car to start with and then what brushless motor and drivetrain up grades!?! Thanks for the info. Price isn't much of an issue but he doesn't want to spend any more than me must. Thanks again.
P.S. Planning on doing an on road car but if a stadium truck can be done what are the options there?
Reach out to RURC. He will build a fast car for you that will run circles around nitro cats.
Alot of people can, just give them the money.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
hands without shadows

Ya.........but RURC will do it right.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 PM
thaphillips

What alot of people on this forum have not addressed yet is weight. You know a pan car will go very fast on a brushless motor. I would suggest a 1/10 pan car, a gyro to keep it going straight, lipos, and a brushless system. This would be the most inexpensive way to get the car to 80 mph.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Raguvian

Aren't pan cars RWD? that's not a good idea IMO because with all that power you relly need all the traction you can get.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 AM
BanditMonster

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Ya.........but RURC will do it right.
Much rather have the Custmemaxx have a learning experience with his buddy and do it themselves, no point in handing it to someone else. I know it was just a funny little idea, but still hehe.

Good luck on building the fast car guys! I'm sure it will be quite the speed demon hehe!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 AM
NewKid
My Feedback: (1)

try the tamiya f103gt( i believe that's the name)...reasoning it's direct drive thus you have no drivetrain powerloss like you would with something else...(run a 4s setup with a feigao 12s or something...and gear to the sky)...that should do it
Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Raguvian

Light a lipo on fire, watch it explode and hope that you'll reach 80 mph with that explosion.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:45 AM
fugadude

Get a really big rubber band and sink in two concrete pillars get steel ibeam then attach roller wheels to a platform which will hold the car and ensure that the car is propelled forward on a straight path. Then get yourself a fence winch and pull that puppy back, stick your car in and hit the release switch. Before you do so go beep beep like the roadrunner.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:20 AM
mOnO n.s.G^

ORIGINAL: fugadude

Get a really big rubber band and sink in two concrete pillars get steel ibeam then attach roller wheels to a platform which will hold the car and ensure that the car is propelled forward on a straight path. Then get yourself a fence winch and pull that puppy back, stick your car in and hit the release switch. Before you do so go beep beep like the roadrunner.
ha i would want to see that
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Lilredmachine

If you use a touring car you run the risk of it hitting a small stone or a sesame seed and flying up in the air and totalling itself. I would use something with a bit of ground clearence and more weight. If you are going for top end remember that weight isn't much of an issue.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
MaliciousRC

I have clocked many of RC vehicles including 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, and so on. The only ones out of the box that are over 60mph was the Cen CT4s(low 70's), the Schumacher with a 2 speed and 3 speed, and the new Traxxas. I took my .15 out of my CEN CT4s and dropped in a n Adam Drake .30 in it and i was hitting high 70's with in a few seconds and ran out of room. I couldnt even control the damn thing. Like someone said before, when you are going that fast it is really hard to control. So my thing is build on something that is already quick as hell. If you want advice from some one that has a really fast street car at the present time contact Toyhaus.com and ask for Sean.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
eddiebelanger

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

Are you clueless? Have you driven a BL truck at 50mph? And I doubt that it does 60+, it was a 2.5 stock
I have a good amount of knowledge. I have an emaxx that pushes into the high 40mph range with a hv 4.5. The jato stock is rated at 70+ so that means it should and will do 55-65 out of the box. Now apparently you don't have a clue if you can't read a traxxas box.
You really believe Traxxas claims? Go ahead and try to hit 80+. Oh, and get a video.
if they claim you can you can. it might have to be the best conditions in the would but you can!!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
NewKid

ORIGINAL: Raguvian

Aren't pan cars RWD? that's not a good idea IMO because with all that power you relly need all the traction you can get.

not always...with a speed car your gears will be so high(top speed) that it'll be like rolling on the throttle and if you have the proper setup you should be fine....I think it's easier than running a 4wd because you'll have to spend twice the money and time setting it up for 80mph runs and with pan cars you really only have to gear her up, run a descent motor....but most important thing to remember due to weight is have loads of downforce on that suckers..otherwise you'll be flipping over!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:58 AM
JR0D3N

i have a hobao hyper 10 pirate(one with all the Billet Aluminium shocks ect), with the older LRP electronic's SpeedControler and that does 70+ just with off road tyres, so that could be a bes bet, has an uprated Motor aswell.. i think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.