Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

first time purchase - advise pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: first time purchase - advise pls

the motors are 550 size motors. i believe ALL e-Savages come ready to run with batteries and charger, i have never seen one without.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 AM
rcxboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nichop

Can you get the Savage without radio (so I can then fit my own)?
The motors are 14.4v whereas most other vehicles are 7.2v. Does this mean you can only really get the one same HPI motor or can you buy other 14.4v motors ? Whenever I look online there is no indication of whether the motors are 14.4v or 7.2v. Can anyone tell me what other motor choices I have if I get the Savage ?
You can't get it without a radio, but the one that's in there is not worth much at all, probably would only take $40 off the cost or something like that if they sold rollers. Just buy your own radio gear and replace what's there...

Motors don't care what voltages they get in 95% of situations... what you should be considering for faster motors is some s-600s.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 AM
nichop

Ok so excuse my ignorance but, what does the '550' or '600' denote ? Is there a way of telling, just by looking at a motor, what power it can deliver ? I was actually thinking of fitting lower speed motors but which would consequently last longer.....but have no idea what i'd be looking for.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 AM
destrega

Another thing to note is buying a truck that your Local hobby store stocks parts for will save you headaches and downtimes waiting on shipping, also the hobby store should be able to help you out with any questions or ideas you might have as opposed to buying online. The savage is a great truck, but i wouldn't say you'd get bored with a stampede very quickly. I bought one for my little brother (few years ago when they came with the old XL5 speed control and 20turn motor) and he beat the heck out of it, we bought a few upgrades for it as he learned to drive better and havn't broke anything apart from a spur gear, and an idler gear since we upgraded the motor so its very durable.

The e-savage is a step up in every way, its bigger, heavier, more expensive, slightly faster (this depends on terrain though on a flat road i think the stampede is actually a bit faster in a straight line.) and uses two battery packs at the same time (about 10-15mins run time with the included packs).

Then again if you can't get parts locally for one truck or the other, then it won't be very fun waiting on shipping for a simple 3$ part that broke.

540,550,600 etc are the physical size of the motors.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:53 AM
mahnewtoe

I really like Tamiya.But Traxxas for the win as most kits can be bought RTR.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 AM
rhowe

get the stampede and u wont have to deal with all that... its a perfect beginner vehicle, that can be made into a bad machine. for ur first rc the stampede is perfect. one batt one motor. upgrade as u use it. thats part of the fun of it start with a better brushed motor then go brushless. its the learning expeirience of upgrading which makes it so much fun..
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a first car/truck, Ithink you should go with a Tamiya Lunch Box. It is slower than a lot of them, but it is very fun, and very durable.

It seems pretty quick, because it is geared down; it will probably only go 12 mph or so. But it wheelies on demand. (has a wheely bar to prevent backflips) Since it only goes 12 mph, it is impossible to break.

AStampede or one of these HPI trucks would be good too. The XL-5 speed control that comes with the basic Stampede has a training mode that limits the top speed to 1/2 of what it normally would be. (probably on par with a Lunch Box when in training mode)

The Stampede has better suspension, but it isn't necessarily more fun.

PIck any of these monster trucks, just make sure you can get parts locally. (I doubt you will be able to with HPI)
Old 06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
jimmmy

For the young one's i would get a slash, decently fast, not too fast for a beginner and it doesent have the a-arms sticking out, so the only real thing that would break is a bumper or two haha. For batteries i would go for a 4000mah and up 7-cell. Good luck!