Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mamba USB Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
thaphillips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba USB Question

When I update the setting on my mamba and close castle link, the ESC still stays lit up. Is their any way to unconnect the ESC safely with out shutting down my computer? I know it's not safe to just unplug with it still lit up!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM
aer-wubby

Default RE: Mamba USB Question

ORIGINAL: thaphillips

When I update the setting on my mamba and close castle link, the ESC still stays lit up. Is their any way to unconnect the ESC safely with out shutting down my computer? I know it's not safe to just unplug with it still lit up!
I just update it, then unplug.. Not exactly 'unsafe' to do so..
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
bateater

yes on your computer in the " task bar " if you will there will be a little icon that I dont know is gray and has a green arrow on it I believe, havnt seen it in a while. and if you scroll your cursor over it, it will say safley remove hardware, i am sure you jut click that and follow instructions?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
rc10b4_racer

join the b4 thread. I never knew that was unsafe?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
thaphillips

ORIGINAL: bateater

yes on your computer in the " task bar " if you will there will be a little icon that I dont know is gray and has a green arrow on it I believe, havnt seen it in a while. and if you scroll your cursor over it, it will say safley remove hardware, i am sure you jut click that and follow instructions?
Thanks BATMAN!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 PM
bateater

ORIGINAL: bateater

Thanks BATMAN!
you sure are welcome
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 PM
chopndroptx

I just unplug mine. I havent seen any icon pop up in my task bar, so unplug is the way to go for me! It really shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 PM
thaphillips

The reason I ask, is because I have had other usb devices go bad from just unplugging them. Anyone own an Ipod? You certainly aren't suppose to just unconnect them.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 AM
chopndroptx

Ipods are crap anyway IMO. I will never buy one. And I have never had anything go bad from unpluging it, maybe didnt take the adjustments, but never went bad.

But if you do have the Icon use it, I just never have it pop up when I program mine.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Silentbob343

The reason I ask, is because I have had other usb devices go bad from just unplugging them. Anyone own an Ipod? You certainly aren't suppose to just unconnect them.
You are correct, the device could still be accessed and unplugging it can corrupt data. That said, if you are sure the device is no longer being accessed you can simply unplug it without going through the remove hardware wizard. I can't hurt to be safe and simply take the two seconds to go through the safely remove hardware wizard.

Has nothing to do with a brand of product as the poster above me would like to believe.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 AM
rcxboy

[quote]ORIGINAL: Silentbob343

Has nothing to do with a brand of product as the poster above me would like to believe.
Not specifically the brand, but the model is important, so that kind of is relevant...

Because USB 2.0 provides power to devices, if they lose power while reading/writing or doing whatever, it can corrupt data.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Silentbob343

ORIGINAL: rcxboy

Not specifically the brand, but the model is important, so that kind of is relevant...

Because USB 2.0 provides power to devices, if they lose power while reading/writing or doing whatever, it can corrupt data.
he was going off on apple and the same applies to firewire and USB 1.1.

USB 2.0 and 1.1 have the same power capacity 5v at no more than 500mA. You can also get corrupted data with an externally powered device, like a hard drive, if you disconnect in mid transfer.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 AM
proteus1377

It has nothing to do with brand, connection or media type. The problem is when the data is incomplete. If it's incomplete, it's unusable and thus corrupted. Some items (iPods) often change something about the firmware when they are being reprogrammed or data is changed. If you disconnect during the firmware change the device won't even function properly. Doing this will cause you to have to flash the device with a new copy of the firmware. Unrepairable damage rarely takes place, annoyance and time lost often will if you don't wait until the item is finished.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Silentbob343

ORIGINAL: proteus1377

It has nothing to do with brand, connection or media type. The problem is when the data is incomplete. If it's incomplete, it's unusable and thus corrupted. Some items (iPods) often change something about the firmware when they are being reprogrammed or data is changed. If you disconnect during the firmware change the device won't even function properly. Doing this will cause you to have to flash the device with a new copy of the firmware. Unrepairable damage rarely takes place, annoyance and time lost often will if you don't wait until the item is finished.
Exactly my point. Also worth mentioing is that you can brick a device to the point that it requires an external programmer. I'm not familiar with what safeguards CC has put in to the mamba so it might be a possibility that a corrupted flash could brick it and require it be sent in.

this is starting to get a bit OT, just use common sense with your devices when updating and you should be alright.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
s7jstep1

what are the advantages of updating the castle link?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Joe Ford
My Feedback: (1)

Just unplug the ESC, and unplug the link. I've done it this way for "man I don't wanna know how many times" and it works fine. If it does something goofy, you know who to contact.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
i like money

What does the safly remove hardware wizard do does it just dissconect the esc or un-install the whole program?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
chopndroptx

Just makes sure its safe to unplug your device so you dont mess anything up if its still communicating with the device. It doesnt uninstall anything.