Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The New Rustler/Stampede/Bandit VXL (brushless)

Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The New Rustler/Stampede/Bandit VXL (brushless)

Are you having any heat issues with the mamba setup in the e-savage?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Haulin Azz

no, it goes fast enough to cool itself down lol. nah it has never thermalled and i only run it for about 7 minutes a time.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Haulin Azz

no, it goes fast enough to cool itself down lol. nah it has never thermalled and i only run it for about 7 minutes a time.
Sounds good. Get a fan on the esc and a heatsink on the motor and you should be good.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Haulin Azz

ya i will do that, but i now have a major problem. One of the three capacitors on the esc is shot, What will that do to the esc? Will it damage it if i keep running it? The bolt going through both shocks in the rear hit one of the esc capacitors when the shock tower flexed after a horrible landing on the lid after a double backflip. There is a huge indention in the top of the capicitor and a tiny hole, so it is shot. Can i keep running? How much do you think it would cost to have castle fix it? Could/Should i just do it myself? I will get pics asap. I also decided to keep this and just put the DI on ebay.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 PM
R35_tunerVision

Do not attempt to fix this your self. Just fill out the repair form and check others as the option on the form, then there is a space where you can write down what happened. THis is what I did and replaced my motor with a new one and repaired my esc for free. Castle has one of the best customer services.

ORIGINAL: Haulin Azz

ya i will do that, but i now have a major problem. One of the three capacitors on the esc is shot, What will that do to the esc? Will it damage it if i keep running it? The bolt going through both shocks in the rear hit one of the esc capacitors when the shock tower flexed after a horrible landing on the lid after a double backflip. There is a huge indention in the top of the capicitor and a tiny hole, so it is shot. Can i keep running? How much do you think it would cost to have castle fix it? Could/Should i just do it myself? I will get pics asap. I also decided to keep this and just put the DI on ebay.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Haulin Azz

well here are a few pics tell me what i should do, i did drive it a little like this and it seemed ok but my runtime was a bit shorter than usual....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87950.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	691991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80242.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	691992  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Haulin Azz

so you think they might do it for free?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 PM
R35_tunerVision

Yes they will. That is just a simple fix that castle will do for free. As long as the esc still works and isn't burnt they can replace or fix it for free. You weren't really brutally bashing it, it was an accident.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Haulin Azz

y double backflips of a aluminum ramp is not brutal abuse.... I can still drive the truck with no problems at all. It will still wheelie and runs great, but i am getting a bit of studdering into reverse and sometimes taking off and my runtime is a tad shorter but the esc still work great!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
rc10b4_racer

the vxl series runs in the $500 price range!!![X(]
Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Slo-V Flyer

If it really is in the $500 range, then I reaalllly don't think any r/c newbies would be willing to risk their hard earned (or spoon fed) money on something they have no prior experience or knowledge about, especially if it's "just an electric" R/C truck. I say that from my not-so-long-ago perspective on all this overpriced R/C stuff that I would and still do occassionally laugh at when I would see the prices. Seeing as this is Traxxas, who aims at newbies and beginners into r/c, I can't see how someone who may not understand the practicalilty of brushless and wheel bearings and turn buckles and steel gears and stuff would want to plunk $500 in one purchase instead of steadily upgrading as they gained knowledge. Again, it's not a bad deal if their electronics aren't crappy as usual, but it's a bit of a stretch price wise.

It's hard enough for me to convince someone to spend close to $180 on a RTR Rustler, so I can't even begin to think what it would take to get someone to spend $500 for one that comes with "upgrades," when that person barely understands all that goes into one compared to a $99 RadioShack toy.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 AM
hemiblas

I have been running the xl-5 rustler and stampede for a while now. Even though the 35mph claims are a little much, the optional pinion gear they give you is not the way to go. I run 8 cell battery packs and geared it down 2 teeth. I get over 35mph and it doesnt get anywhere near as hot with a 7 cell and the optional gear. The titan 550 motor has been good for me. I know the older stinger motors were bad, but so were a lot of other manufactures that came stock with these vehicles. I run my pede on a mamba max 7700 with 8 cell 4500mah battery and its scary fast. Its so fast that I have the traxxas idler gear part number memorized now. Too much power for that tranny. If I could guess I would be in the 55-60mph range with that setup. It makes my 8 cell setup with the 550 look like its standing still. So I welcome a new beefed up tranny and maybe I can do more RCing without having to replace idler gears. I think traxxas has done a good job with these vehicles though. I run my mamba on stock pedes and rustlers and I bash pretty hard and I only replace idler gears. Cant beat that. Every other truck I had before had serious issues with a high power setup and more than just tranny gears. Anyone know what battery has 8000mah and 11.1v and will fit in that battery compartment??? I'm sure 350ish is a good price for that truck. I hope they keep it there and I will get one for sure.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Why aren't you using the aluminum or steel idler gear? For about $6-$12 depending on material, it will be stronger than your plastic one. Unless you're telling me that you've been stripping metal idlers!!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

That's unlikely since the diff case teeth are plastic.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
rc10b4_racer

towers prices are already set at 489.99 for the rusty and 503.99 for the pede. i forgot the price for the bandit. i think its a little less than the rusty. from the traxxas vids i can say its definatly faster than my b4 which hit a confirmed 44mph and sometimes a little more
Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: rc10b4_racer

the vxl series runs in the $500 price range!!![X(]

Might as well get the xxx-t brushless!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
rc10b4_racer

but the traxxas esc is better than the ss esc. so you can save money instead of getting another 300 dollar system just get a rtr with one. or you can get a xxx-t or t4 and put mambas in em. but the new rusty just looks so cool. and it has a wheelie bar
Old 05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
sloppyG

towers prices are already set at 489.99 for the rusty and 503.99 for the pede. i forgot the price for the bandit. i think its a little less than the rusty. from the traxxas vids i can say its definatly faster than my b4 which hit a confirmed 44mph and sometimes a little more
those aren't the real prices,

the thing's not even available yet

those are the "I'm a sucker, and I'm ordering it now nomatter what" prices

tower always starts high, and later will drop the price to the "real price" probably about 300 or just above
Old 05-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Myhre
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

tower always starts high, and later will drop the price to the "real price" probably about 300 or just above
I doubt they are going to drop $200 off of what they start out at. Maybe $50-75. Also, for the person that said the Rusty looks so cool. WHAT? I've never like the rustler layout, a XXX-T looks so much cooler than the rusty. Pfft....Please
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
rc10b4_racer

that was me and its a matter of personal opinion. and with a g10 fiberglass upgrade it looks super racerish. also i was mostly refering to the shell and how it uses big tires and it just apeals to me. i mean i dont see anyone dissing wild willy 2 fans or lunchbox fans and yet in my eyes those are like the apitimy of rc cars. again thats my opinion
Old 05-27-2007, 05:28 PM
rc10b4_racer

this is the g10 upgrades i was talking about
Old 05-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Myhre
My Feedback: (3)

this is the g10 upgrades i was talking about

But that totally changes the look of a stock rustler. I'm sure that's a pretty pricey upgrade as well. I was saying that I think the out of the box rustler looks very inept. And kinda sad. I've never liked the stock body that came with my rustler. I run it without a body, so it knows how shameful it is.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
rc10b4_racer

i love the vxl body and those upgrades are cheap. its like 50 for the chassis and 25 for the front shock tower
Old 05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Myhre

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

I doubt they are going to drop $200 off of what they start out at. Maybe $50-75. Also, for the person that said the Rusty looks so cool. WHAT? I've never like the rustler layout, a XXX-T looks so much cooler than the rusty. Pfft....Please
the revo has MSRP within 50 bucks of $1000, and sells for about $500
rusty XL5 MSRP is $290, and it sells for $170
rusty VXL won't sell near MSRP either
Old 05-27-2007, 05:52 PM
coleholley

Ya I'm almost positive none of them will be over $500, I'm saying around $350.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.