Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need some Brushless Motor advice for E-Revo

Old 06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
rschoi_75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Brushless Motor advice for E-Revo

I just converted my revo to run electric and now I need some advice on motors and gearing. Here's the lo-down on my set-up.

- Revo 2.5 chassis w/ e-maxx manual 2-speed tranny & steel idler gear. stock spur (72T I think? not sure)
- e-maxx stock wheels/tires (bashing) -and- Proline bowties w/ dish rims (track)
- RD logics steel cvd's all around w/ center cvd's.
- BK warrior car 9920 esc. (4-20 cells, 99amp continuous, built in bec)
- Two 2s 6000mah maxamps lipos, and two 7-cell IB3600's for back up.
- pretty much stock everything else. I am considering of buying a Vantage C.F. chassis in there to drop some more weight, but it costs a pretty penny...

Ok, so my question is, what motor would you guys suggest? and what gearing should I use?
My truck will weight about 9-10 pounds with the lipos and 11-12 with the nimh's. Anyone that has any personal knowledge will help me out greatly.

I am considering these motors: Nemesis Blue 8L-10L or 7-8XL, Feigao 8L-10L or 7-8XL, or Lehner 3100XL (hard to find good info on it). Hacker is out of the question, because I of the price vs. value. I'd rather go for a lehner at that price. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

- Rich
Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM
TheTick

Default RE: Need some Brushless Motor advice for E-Revo

Are you going to wire them 2s2p 12000 or 4s 6000? I can run some numbers for you on pcalc and tell you which kv would be the most effecient.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
TheTick

Actually, I worded that wrong. It's guaranteed you will be better off wiring them 4S as long as your controller and charger can handle it. You just need to make sure the motor has a lower kv. I can help you with that if you tell me what the kv is on a 2s setup.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 AM
rschoi_75

running it as a 4s 6000mah set-up.

I keep hearing about the feigao 8xl being the motor of choice. Anyone have any opinions on that?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM
RURC

Buy a Neu Motor. If you are willing to spend the money for a Lehner, spend it for the best motor. A 1512/xx/x depending on your kv should be your best bet. The performance over the motors you mentioned, includeing the Hacker will be immence. The Lehner is a better motor then the Hacker. If you are set on a Lehner look for a 2230. I just did one for a guy in Aus, it is an LST and it runs a 5 cell with a 150 BK and it is crazy.

NOW DO NOT USE THE BEC BUILT INTO THE BK ESC. They are very susceptable to erroring with power surgeing. Buy an external BEC. On larger vehicles I run a seperate BEC to avoid voltage problems. The BK BEC's are known to be weak, I even have had problems with them on my converted Jato. Max Amps makes me a lipo BEC. It is a 2200 mAh with a regulator built onto it set at 6 volts. Just tell Austin to make you one like they send me.

Are you going to use the ESC for brakeing? This is going to be where the vast majority of your high current drain will happen. Keep an eye on things. I have seen brakeing currents upwards to 125 amps on MINI T's and 280 amps on 1/8 buggies. Granted these are absolute peaks for just a moment but they are still there. If you can supply the power you will use it.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
VintageMA

I think that a 2230 is way overkill for a 10lb truck. Too much motor and will add too much weight to the truck - it's just not necessary - especially considering that for the same sie motor the Lehner motors are way more powerful than the competition (you get what you pay for). I used a 1950/7 Lehner motor with a 6S 5000 mAh pack in my LST2 conversion. The truck weighs in around 14 - 15 lbs and with all of the gearing completely stock it hauls seriously a**. I can't even put the throttle more than 50-60% down at startup or it will flip on its end.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
RURC

ORIGINAL: VintageMA

I think that a 2230 is way overkill for a 10lb truck. Too much motor and will add too much weight to the truck - it's just not necessary - especially considering that for the same sie motor the Lehner motors are way more powerful than the competition (you get what you pay for). I used a 1950/7 Lehner motor with a 6S 5000 mAh pack in my LST2 conversion. The truck weighs in around 14 - 15 lbs and with all of the gearing completely stock it hauls seriously a**. I can't even put the throttle more than 50-60% down at startup or it will flip on its end.
I agree with you but that is what the guy wanted in it. It is in Austraulia now and he loves it. It runs a 5 cell 10,000 mAh battery from Max Amps. He tells me that it flips very easy, but then he is a happy customer and that is good. I have really found that in my opinion and in the tests I have done I find that the Neu motors perform the best. The Lehners are very good but just under the Neu and Plennenberg motors. They are way better then the Hackers in general. The C40 and C50 Hackers are very good but the rest of the line is in need of help.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
tekin

i am peter from trinidad RURC and i notice you do electric setups . ihave a system to setup and need help.
DO YOU HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

I'm running a Mamba Monster combo in my Revo 3.3. The only problem I had was I kept blowing out gears in the tranny but I bought a Robinson Racing forward only kit and locked it in 2nd gear. It's extremely fast now that the tranny holds together.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
MuggyDude

It's kind of funny when nebs bring up 3 year old threads
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: MuggyDude

It's kind of funny when nebs bring up 3 year old threads
That is funny, I didn't even notice that.