Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I'm going to get hate for this... waterproofing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm going to get hate for this... waterproofing.

Normally i would just go ask djmedic however YouTube sucks too much data from my phone. I only have 2.5gbs.
I've read a couple posts on here and rccrawler. However, I'm not getting what to do with the battery, balance leads, deans plugs.
Also, with my MMP can I use a rattle can of rustolium pastidip? Just spray the piss out of it?
Servos I'm good with.
Bearings and axles I'm good with... kinda. I'll use marine grease in my trans and axle. For my bearings, I have access to corrosionX should I soak my bearings in it for a few mins and they be OK or?

I also will be getting a brushless motor I've heard they don't like water. For a motor like the yeah racing hackmoto evo 10.5t how would I go about making it water proof? I suppose I could get a brushed motor for the rainy season here in Peoria az?

Send ur hate and knowledge at the same time please, I'll just sift through.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the esc I haven't seen anyone use a spray on Plastidip. The usual method involves removing the case and coating the board with brush on Plastidip but I guess you could spray it on too. Either way you don't want to coat the heatsink, just come up to the bottom of it with Plastidip to form a seal with the heatsink. If your going to spray it on I recommend using masking tape to prevent coating more of the heatsink than you need to. That's the Plastidip method, but you can also use CorrosionX the same way. Remove the the esc from the case and coat with CorrosionX. Personally I'd go Plastidip as CorrosionX needs to be reapplied periodically and I'm not sure how much I trust invisible coating or myself to periodically recoat.

Im not so sure about CorrosionX on bearings. Will it seep into them and break down the lubricant? Maybe just use some compressed air to dry any exposed bearings and put a drop of oil on them after a wet run.

Batteries. I've never done any kind of submerging with my Lipos. I'm afraid of moisture staying under the shrink wrap and resulting in corrosion of the aluminum tabs, solder joints etc. But for running in the snow, mud, splash situations I've used clear food wrap to keep them dry. Just charge your batteries, wrap them up with the balance leads under the wrap. Fold the end of the wrap over, secure with some packing tape and use some packing tape to keep the wrap tight to the main wires too. Your Lipo is now protected from water unless you submerge it and it's cheap and easy to do again and again. I wouldn't worry about the main battery connector, just dry it off when your done to help prevent corrosion.

The motor. I haven't heard anything bad about getting water inside a sensorless brushless motor. If it's not fresh water obviously rinsing out the inside of the motor is recommended and drying it out wouldn't hurt either. Sensored motors are another story though. I honestly have no idea how you'd protect the sensor assembly from getting wet. If water gets in the can it can seep past the bearing and into the sensor assembly. And if there's no gaskets for the sensor cover that's another entry point.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just note when done running after you rinse the dirt, and crap off take WD40, and hose off ALL Steel parts like axles, driveshafts, screws etc as they will rust to high hell. On my one old beater I forgot to do that once, and a week later my dogbones were rusted into the cups.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:20 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK cool. Great info, thanks guys