Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Did I just ruin my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
tbfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just ruin my tires?

Ok heres what I did. I just bought a nice T4 on e-bay. It came with two sets of tires that look to be in real good shape. They were very dirty and muddy so I wanted to clean them. First I tried just spraying them with a hose but it wouldn't all come off, then I used a brush, but that was taking a long time so then I soaked them in a bucket of soapy water for about 15 minutes then came back and scrubbed them clean. Well.....they are clean now but.........water got inside of each tire and soaked the foams. I've tried to squeeze out as much as I could but I can tell that they are still quite wet. I'm letting them set out in the hot sunshine. Do you think they will ever completely dry? I thought about putting them into a warm oven for a while...will that work? Will the foams mold? Do I need to take them apart (they ARE glued). Or....am I screwed!

Learned my lesson.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 PM
s7jstep1

Default RE: Did I just ruin my tires?

that happened to mine. they stayed wet for a long time. i didnt notice any loss in performance. when i cut the old tries off the rims and put the new ones on, the foams were still wet. this was after months of driving. my advice is dont worry about it.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
cjg

You can drill small holes in the inside rim, this will help dry them. The holes can then later be glued shut, or left. Small holes in the rim let the tire expand and contract as it spins.

Some people even drill holes in the tread for the latter reason, it would also help force water out by centripital force.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:21 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I wouldn't worry about it. Let them sit for a little while and they'll eventually dry out.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
rcj

I did that to mine once (a mistake) and it took at least 2 weeks to dry up. My rims have the holes pre-made. The foam will eventually dry out and will be fine.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holes should be drilled in the rims, that would help dry the foams.