Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A couple problems with my first RC- TT-01 w/ MC330R ESC

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 AM
DaveInLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple problems with my first RC- TT-01 w/ MC330R ESC

This is my first hobby-grade RC car, and I'm just about done, but a few things have come up.

1. I've done RC planes before, so I know to turn on the radio before plugging the battery into the ESC. However, even when I do that, the steering servo will make a quick jerk and then the car's wheels will start turning (in reverse at about half speed) before I even touch any controls. I can stop it by quickly pulling the throttle trigger. I suppose this has something to do with the ESC, but I'm not sure what I have to do. It's the Futaba MC330R.

2. I forgot to mention that this is a TT-01. If you're familiar with the TT-01, you know you can't take out the motor once everything is installed without taking out the entire rear suspension. The first thing I did when I got the car was install the motor Orion Method R) with the alum motor plate, and it was in there tight-- it didn't budge at all when you pushed on it. However, I recently decided to change the connectors on the motor leads, but I did it while the motor was still in the chassis. I foolishly applied a lighter to the heat shrink around the new connectors, and the heat from the flame must have warped the plastic tub chassis a bit. Now, the motor moves a little when you push on it. The chassis looks straight, but when I place it on a flat surface, the rear end will rock a bit. When I throttle the motor, it wiggles. I'm thinking of buying a new tub TT-01 chassis (like $9) and starting over, but I REALLY don't want to do that. But do I have a choice?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:30 AM
mindwreck

Default RE: A couple problems with my first RC- TT-01 w/ MC330R ESC

Did you set the esc yet? you have to calibrate the ESC to your radio first. That probably why its moving when you turn it on. It doesn't know where neutral is.

If it didn't budge when you pushed it, somethings binding in the drivetrain. The gearing may be too tight, or somethings just stuck somewhere.

um. the rear end thing. try to get a picture of it, so i can see whats up. you may or may not have to get a new chassis. depends. If the heat was just momentary it shouldn't have done anything too dramatic.

If you still need help dave, I'm coming home for the weekend. We can meet up if you want and ill take a look at it and set it up for you. PM a address or somewhere we can meet.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 AM
DaveInLA

Heh, I got problem #1 figured out by setting up the ESC. I had to change the throttle settings on the transmitter as well.

Problem #2 is an issue. I hope I didn't confuse you into thinking that the driveshaft is stuck-- no, that's not an issue at all. I'm talking about the actual motor. It's installed into the chassis, but it seems loose. When I push on the motor, it will budge about 1-1.5 mm. When I add throttle, the rotational force from the driveshaft also makes the motor wiggle a little. Basically, it's probably not stable in there. I think the issue is that the bottom of the plastic tub chassis is warped a little from the heat I applied to the heat shrink while the motor was still installed in the chassis.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 AM
mindwreck

hmm. Mine used to wiggle slightly too, there was some slack in that gear cover. Now that i sealed it with silicone for rallying its really stuck in there. you could try that.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 AM
DaveInLA

Yeah, I guess that might work. The thing is that the chassis used to be completely flat and straight-- it would sit on a table and not rock at all, and the motor was in there solid and wouldn't budge. Now, the rear end rocks a little and the motor is wiggling.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 AM
mindwreck

wow. must be more serious than im thinking. only way i can tell is if you have a picture or wait to have me look at it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 AM
DaveInLA

I think I'll wait until this weekend. It's not really obvious by the eyeball test-- that is, nothing looks wrong even when you stare at it, but the wiggling is definitely real and the rear end defintely rocks more than the front. Even if all this is real, I think the silicone idea is a good one.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:29 AM
TIGER76

If you're familiar with the TT-01, you know you can't take out the motor once everything is installed without taking out the entire rear suspension
u must have a different tt-01 to me then i just have to unscrew 2 screws and remove motor mount and im good to go u shouldnt need to remove any suspension parts at all.

and the ESC i had to use the extra battery box to setup mine then unhooked it and havnet used it since to save weight it all runs off the main battery.

as for the warped motor sounds like your motor mount is twisted or something,try the standard plastic one in there.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
DaveInLA

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

If you're familiar with the TT-01, you know you can't take out the motor once everything is installed without taking out the entire rear suspension
u must have a different tt-01 to me then i just have to unscrew 2 screws and remove motor mount and im good to go u shouldnt need to remove any suspension parts at all.
edit: wow, it's actually a lot easier to access the motor than I thought!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 PM
mindwreck

haha. good to learn something new everyday right?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 AM
TIGER76

lol yeah soz dave i didnt mean it too sound so harsh my bad []
sounds like it could be the tub then if its not sitting flush try a new tub like you said there cheap and its always good in the rc world to have a backup chassis