Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

df-03 makes weird noise when landing???

Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Adam C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default df-03 makes weird noise when landing???

ive only had my df-03 for alittle while now. after running at a local indoor track last night i noticed that, when it lands, it makes a grinding noise?? what could it be? i dont think its gears cause t goes fine in a straight line and the gears look fine. it seems to happen mostly when i land with the wheels turned, and its not the servo, atleast i dont think. any idea what it is?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: df-03 makes weird noise when landing???

Not the chassis slap to the ground??

Do you have a slipper clutch? Maybe the sound of slipper? (when landing, the wheel speed mis-match the ground speed)

Just wild guesses...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
yellowfuzzle

The only thing I hear when my DI lands is loud chassis slap but that doesn't make a grinding noise. I had a problem for a couple days where the gears made a really bad grinding noise when I was braking. That went away once I opened the gearbox and re-lubed it. Not sure if it was the lube or just a gear slightly out of place.

EDIT: I see you are getting an XBR Set-up. Let me know what you think about it when it arrives. I was thinking of one for my DF-03 but wanted some opinions on it from owners. Don't want to hi-jack the thread or anything; just send me a PM about it or something.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 PM
paperclip

That noise is just a heck of chassis slap like or the slipper it is not going to harm anything.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM
SS5800EvADer

i hate the chassis slap cuz it sounds like it breaks, you like it wen it goes down perfectly making no sound

it might also be loose motor mount wen ever it lands it could be the motor getting jammed over tight cuz it happened to me once
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Adam C.

well i just swapped the chassis over to CF. i have a slipper. it seems to only happen when i land with the wheels turned.

mikey, we'll just have to see if it does it on saturday at the dirt track. it didnt hinder performance so im not too worried about it. it always seems like my cars make weird noises! oh well
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
paperclip

yea i think you will have a pretty good chance of doing pretty good now especially with that cf chassis[8D], ye aI just talked to mike and I am working and then going over to mikes house and ride up with him. i was like that with my b4 especially when the diff started to break in and i thought it was going bad or something, the i juts got used to it and decided that if something broke iwould just fix it.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Adam C.

i figure if something breaks, its just the buggy lettin me know it wants a new upgrade!!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
paperclip

I like that Idea to. lol!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
cdis

mate, dont quote me, but I think I know what your trouble is. Check the top cover of your rear diff (or front diff for that matter). On mine, I managed to strip the plastic in the screw holes for the rear diff cover. The torque of the tranny cogs turning was lifting the cover of and hence making a really high pitched grindy squeely sound.

I just put some wood screws in with a bigger diameter than the holes, which fixed it up fine. Had to dremel the screw heads down a bit but yea, it works a treat.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Gravel-Hound

Sounds like a problem i had (i think its the same)

When i put the adjustable tie-rods on the front wheels to make the tires go like this /----/ Chassis \----\

I would turn and accelerate and theres like a grinding noise from the cup joints... so i went and bought the
universal cup things and i think its all better now