Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

serious problem

Old 08-04-2007, 06:53 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: serious problem

Ok the car went to the guy at the shop and he said that it was probably the battery and that someimes the batterys need to discharge fully before being topped up and i had not been discharging them because i dont know that i had too so he got my battery and got it all charged up properly and put it back and said that it would work he tested it and thought it would, when i say tested he put it on his desk and went backwards and forwards lol, i was not there so i couldn't say anything

brought it back tryed it and it did the same thing[:@] but going to him again today and ill be there so should get it sorted!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM
RCHEAVEN101

OK went to the shop again!

talked to the man about what happened and he had a look around the car for about a hour trying different crystals ans recievers and finnaly he got it fixed, as i suspeced it was the receiver but it took soooo long to figure that out cos one of the first thing he tryed was the receiver but didnt think to reset the esc after so after he did reset the esc with the new receiver it worked yah!

cost me £18 for a new (zebra?) receiver and £20 for these new on the market batteries that dont need to be discharged ever and will never lose run time. Plus i got a new ariel tube for free cos he forgot that he put it on the car lol!

The only thing now is that from a stand still you cant go full trottle in reverese but you can ease it up to full trottle weird hey?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
RCHEAVEN101

What a downer i just went out wid the car and it is starting to show the signs that the old one did before it completly broke, i.e being jumpy on acceleration when at a distance, i guess ill just have to wait and see if it gets worse[]
Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
NitroNuisance

The guy is servicing cars at a hobby shop and didn't think about recalibrating the esc after replacing the reciever? Sounds like someone I whant working on my car!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM
NitroNuisance

The odvious thing would be to try some good new batteries in the radio. Then do you know if there is metal gears in the transmission? Sometimes if there is 2 metal gears meshing together you will get radio noise. They reccomend only using for instance a metal idler gear and keeping the rest plastic or at least making sure there is a light coat of grease on the metal gear. I have also been told to make sure the esc and motor leads are far enough away from the reciever because this also can keep you from getting range. Just some things to try, it sounds like you have tried just about everything. I know I'd be frustrated. Otherwise it sounds like the only other thing you havn't tried is a new radio or esc.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Spider

I hate that you are still having problems. There has to be interference from the motor & gears or the transmitter (maybe). Take it to the hobby shop and see if they have another transmitter available for you to use and test your electronics. Try only changing one thing at a time, then change it back before trying something else.

Thanks & be good.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:31 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Well ive had an idea right now i'm in debt lol so ill have time to think it through but...

i was thinking about buying a new car but thought that there so much things on this one that work i could just buy all the electrics again, It would actually be cheaper than having the man at the shop do it,
i dont think the receiver is the problem but it does slowly get worse and worse each time i bring the car out so that leaves me with ESC and, well thats it really i dont think it could be the servo. I guess could be transmitter aswell.

But do you think that the ESC could be damaging the receiver because if it is ill have to buy a new receiver, cos if the ESC is damageing it it has already massed it up quite alot.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Spider

Could be a heat issue with the ESC. Try asking the guy at the RC shop to swap out the ESC, see if that works, again try one thing at a time. The hobby shop should have enough equipment for this purpose.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM
RCHEAVEN101

How easy is it to over heat a standard tamiya ESC,

because i use a sport tuned motor and in the past i have used all four of my batteries in quick succession thats a 1500mah, x2 1900mah and a 2100mah. Is this likely damage the ESC?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
RCHEAVEN101

I've had an idea!

If i was to take out the speed control i would be able to see if the esc that is the problem with the gliches/jumpyness

But im new to this and wondering would it still work? and if so im guess it would go full throttle or nothing right?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
RCHEAVEN101

Wait scratch that, ive just seen that the receiver and batteries wires are all connected there lol look like a tricky/impossible thing to do.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Spider

taking it out and setting it away from everythig wouldn't truely tell you if it were the problem. remove it completly, borrow another one (that is capable of handling your set-up) and install it, that will eliminate the ESC one way or the other! Same thing with the batteries and transmitter.