Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

serious problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious problem

When my TT-01 goes about 10 meters away it has serious problems.

When i acelerate to about 5 mph the car instantly goes to full trottle for about 1 second and when i reverse sometimes it refuses to reverve and goes full trottle forwards

this causes many crashes what causes it?

thank you.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Default RE: serious problem

i think i just found out why it keeps driving on its own:

The reciever has a little black wire coming out of it (the aeiral ) and when that is nugded near the reciever the car acelerates and the steering starts to twinge. But this begs the question do i need a new reciever and also how come it doesnt happen untill the car is a distance away?

please help? thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
RCHEAVEN101

I guess ill try a new reciever then
Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Is it a new car? or did it just start doing this? Is it the stock motor, or aftermarket? If it's an aftermarket motor then you may need to install capacitors on the motor. I once had a similar problem and installing caps solved it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Viper 15

Which radio system do you have? Do you have this problem everywhere you take the car. It could be some local interference.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 AM
mindwreck

what radio to you have. It sounds like a serious case of glitching. especially if it goes crazy when you poke the antenna.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Thanks for the replies this problem is really getting to annoy me!

anyway my controller is a ACOMS techniplus 27 mhz am (rx brand 3 crytal)n reciever is a ACOMS am 2 channel same crystal.

the car is used but only about 6 times i havent noticed the problem since i took the car somewhere i didnt usally go, that when i noticed it. I'm running just a tamiya sport tuned at the mo. yes i have the problem where ever it goes sometime ill take it somewhere and it will be better when it goes further away but some places it plays up when it very close. but yes it happens everywhere. yeah when i poke or wiggle the antener nearr the reciever both the steering and the whells start to move badly.

Would telegraph poles make a difference?

thank you soo much i cant use it untill the problem has gone cos ill end up braking stuff.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Viper 15

It sounds like there is some interference, you need a better quality radio system. Cheaper systems usually have bad glitching problems and pick up not only your signal but others as well. Some good name brands to look for are JR, Futaba, and Hitec. My favorite personally is JR. I have an XS3 which is a 75mhz synthesized(no crystals) and a XR2i which is 27mhz with crystals. You should be able to find an xr2i for under 40$ ans a xs3 for under 90$.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
RCHEAVEN101

If it is interference how come it happens when i wiggle the antena?

I really dont want to spend any money on the transmitter and receiver but if i have to i guess ill get the futaba attack 2er or whatever it called lol

do i need new crystals or can mine go in futaba redceivers and transmitters?

Before i spend my money, that guy up there drevil said i might need capaciters with aftermarket motors so ill try the stock motor that never been run and see if the problem persists,

On the motor there is the small gear (dont know if thats the pinion or spur) how do you get it off? pull really hard or is it a very small alan key job?

thanks alot.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
RCHEAVEN101

OK serious problem just got more serious:
i can now get the car to got about 5 meters in diameter from the transmitter with no problems but heres the wierd part, anything past 5 meters the esc makes that beeping noise when you turn on the car but not the transmitter. So the esc thinks that the transmitter is off why????

please help thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
hands without shadows

It sounds like the receiver's antenna wire is broken. I would completely remove the receiver from the car, remove the antenna from the tube, open the receiver case, and check for any places where the wire might be broken or squished. It can be broken underneath the insulation so if it flops in one place it is probably broken there. The best way to fix it is to cut out the damaged section and splice the sections together with solder.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:20 PM
mindwreck

something is really missed up with the receiver. take hand shadows advice and check the antenna. If you can't find it, i recommend just getting a better setup save you a lot of headaches and glitching mishaps.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Super Spider

I agree, it sounds like something is wrong with the antena wire, even the cheep radios shouldn't glitch only 5 to 10 meters away. It sounds as if you need to upgrade your radio system, I would suggest going digital, this way even if there are tons of other signals around you won't have a problem! I use a Nomadio [link=http://www.nomadio.net/?pg=hobby.html&sub=react.html]React[/link] (click on the link) system, however, it will cost you about $280 for the radio and the reciever. The great thing is this system allows you to have 2-way communication with your car & it has built-in fail-safes (which you should definately install on any car). If that is too much for you, I would suggest looking at the Spectrum line of radio systems - you can get a [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM20200]DX2[/link] (click on the link) for around $150. Either system will definately fix your problem! + you don't have to have the antena stick out of the car (it can be rolled up and tucked out of the way and where it won't get rubbed and worn) and the car will function properly with a very minimal loss of range (2 or 3 feet loss over about 300 to 400 feet distance).
Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 PM
maxximillion

take the receiver off of the car, open the little box and solder a new wire on for the anntenna
Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Super Spider

Soldering an antena back on can be done, however, if he isn't careful he could screw up the board. But I agree, I have done it with great success! I don't know why I got onto the "just replace it" ideal! That's one of the great things about this hobby, most everything can be repaired, even the electronics. Be sure to get a good solder joint, if you don't you will get more glitching.

Thanks Maxx!

Thanks & be good!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Jordandarkmagic

first of all, the gear attached to the motor is called the pinion gear and it can be removed by using an allen wrench. And sometimes these things are actually caused by very small and stupid reasons.. Like not feeding the antenna all the way through the tube..
Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

The first thing I would do is replace the motor with the stock one like you said. I'm telling you the glitching on my car was so bad it would suddenly lurch forward and then turn to one side and I couldn't figure out what the heck it was. It was only after I swapped the motor out that I realized that all I needed to do was solder some capacitors on the motor.

If that doesn't help then goto the hobby shop and see if they'll allow you to swap receivers. If that works then all you have to do is buy a receiver. If you're going for a whole new radio system any good brand name should work. I've been running almost all of my r/c cars/trucks on one of the cheapest pistol grip radios Futaba makes. (magnum sport)

As was said above, the small gear on the motor is called the pinion gear and it's held in place with an allen head screw.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Thanks guys yeah i did put in the stock motor but the problem got worse so im gonna leave the car for a bit and save up and get a new radio sytem thanks for all your ideas!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
C.A.R.

ORIGINAL: Super Spider

I agree, it sounds like something is wrong with the antena wire, even the cheep radios shouldn't glitch only 5 to 10 meters away. It sounds as if you need to upgrade your radio system, I would suggest going digital, this way even if there are tons of other signals around you won't have a problem!
That's a rediculous idea. He has a cheap car and you expect to use a really expensive radio system?

The Acoms Techniplus is the standard in the UK, and it is a really neat piece of kit, not something cheap. If you are having problems with signal, try redirecting the ariel away from magnetic sources (the motor) and towards neutral points. If that doesn't help, check the batteries in the transmitter. Are they all the same make? And are they all the same age? The transmitter ariel must always be screwed in all the way too, so check that. Don't open the casing on the reciever to check the connections, as this will void any warranty. We sell approx. 5 of these units every day, and they have a fault rate around 2%! If there geniunely is something wrong with it, then you can return it. If there isn't take a trip down to Stevenage, come into Time Tunnel Models and find me! I'll make sure you go home with a working car.

You don't need a new radio!

Chris.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Well thats comforting thanks very much. i tried the things you said but nothing worked and I'm afraid i don't know how old the batteries are i just know that they are all ansmann alkalies, you see i got it of eBay second hand and the guy used it like six times so i guess there prob the same batteries that have always been i there. The problem just started instantly one day and has been getting worse every time time i use it, for example i turned it on to use after moving the antenna and now the car can go about 30 cm away with out supposedly losing connection.
sadly i have already unscrewed the receiver any but i got it of eBay so i guess it doesn't matter now. one thing that i don't know if it could cause a problem it the end of the transmitter Ariel has came of and bent a bit but it was like this when the car was working so what you think....
also do you think it would be wise to buy a new receiver of the same kind... thanks chris
Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Well the car is with a guy at this hobby shop so hopefully he'll get to the root of it...

I'll let you know how it goes

thanks everyone.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Spider

ORIGINAL: C.A.R.

ORIGINAL: Super Spider

I agree, it sounds like something is wrong with the antena wire, even the cheep radios shouldn't glitch only 5 to 10 meters away. It sounds as if you need to upgrade your radio system, I would suggest going digital, this way even if there are tons of other signals around you won't have a problem!
That's a rediculous idea. He has a cheap car and you expect to use a really expensive radio system?

The Acoms Techniplus is the standard in the UK, and it is a really neat piece of kit, not something cheap. If you are having problems with signal, try redirecting the ariel away from magnetic sources (the motor) and towards neutral points. If that doesn't help, check the batteries in the transmitter. Are they all the same make? And are they all the same age? The transmitter ariel must always be screwed in all the way too, so check that. Don't open the casing on the reciever to check the connections, as this will void any warranty. We sell approx. 5 of these units every day, and they have a fault rate around 2%! If there geniunely is something wrong with it, then you can return it. If there isn't take a trip down to Stevenage, come into Time Tunnel Models and find me! I'll make sure you go home with a working car.

You don't need a new radio!

Chris.
Well, I know where you are coming from, however, all of these suggestions are fixes for his problem. I don’t know every car that is made, and how much they cost or their quality. Replacement for some reason was what I jumped to, and in a later post I agreed that his receiver could be fixed, if in fact it is a broken antenna (I have had to solder an antenna wire back together with great success). Of course if the thing is under warranty you should use that avenue first, and maybe I am wrong in doing this, I assume that if someone is asking how to fix this problem on a forum that the warranty has expired anyway (usually at most 90 days). As far as expense goes, repair work at a hobby shop will cost you something, and could cost you more than $150 for their labor, unless they are like you and give their labor out for free (you said for him to come down to your shop and he would leave with a working car, after talking about expense of getting a new radio system I hope you wouldn’t charge him anything for your labor). He also mentioned that there were telegraph lines around where he run his car, whether or not this may cause him a problem with glitching I don’t know, but the digital radio would take care of any of those problems. If he doesn’t want to spend the money to buy a new radio system, then that is up to him, we gave him at least 2 options that you were opposed to, you gave him a third – that’s great, but to call the other options that were suggested ridiculous is absurd in itself. In a post after yours, he mentioned that he got the car off of eBay, so unless he has a receipt that says the car is new and from a retailer, he won’t have a warranty – at least I am not aware of any RC companies that will extend their warranty to a second party. He may end up having to buy a receiver if he can’t fix the problem with his, my point was that if you are going to put money out for a new item, then go with something that will overcome other various problems that he may have. If the car is nice enough for him to have a moded motor in it, then he might find value in putting a nice radio system in it, also, the great thing about this option is, if he ever wants to upgrade to a “better” vehicle, he has a nice system to install in it.

Thanks & be good.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
RCHEAVEN101

Good points there super spider but i dont think C.A.R was putting you down, i think he was suprised that you sugggested spending so much money on a transmitter and a reciever when the car cost me (with radio gear) ÂŁ64
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
C.A.R.

No offense was intended, I just didn't want the poor guy spending loads on a radio he didn't need! We never charge for labour, only parts. Usually we can fix a problem in 10-20 mins so you can't really justify a labour charge (though it would be nice!). I hope the hobby shop you left it with gets to the bottom of it too.

Chris.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Spider

I am sorry, I did tak offense to it! And I don't want anyone spending more than they want to. I took what you said the wrong way, and as a you calling me ridiculous, for that I appologize.

I am not familiar with the currency you are using, I have to imagine that 64 is roughly equivilent to 140 ot 160 US dollars? I understand where you're coming from. As atated before I don't know every car by their names nor do I know every radio by their names. I may know the manufacturers, that may be as far as I go. I was not thinking about this being a "cheap" car. I still stand by my earlier suggestions, and think that we can give RCHEAVEN101 as many solutions as we can, and he can decide which to use.

I am glad to hear that you don't charge for your labor. The hobby shops here didn't either, until a bunch of people started buying used cars off of eBay and other online areas. These people were overloading (in the shop I work part-time at we had about 10 cars awaiting repairs at any given time) some of the shops and so they (about 5 different ones in my area and all of them do now) decided to charge for labor to work on vehicles that were not purchased through them. The hobby shop I work at was one of the last to do this, and the only reason we did was to eleviate the volume.

Thanks guys & be good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.