Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

hybrid motor, good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
ohgrfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hybrid motor, good idea?

I hope so, my rustler had a Trinity 15t Speedgem Extreme Modified motor and my evader had a Orion Method R 15t with Aluminum endbell. The trinity was wearing out while the orion's magnets were smashed completely, what does one do with a $50 motor wearing out and a nice almost new aluminum endbell just sitting around? Frankenstein!

I introduce a motor fueled by boredom and a tight wallet, the Extreme Method Speedgem 15t:

Hopefully, I can go brushless sometime, I'm thinking either a VXL system for my Rustler or a Novak system, but the Novak system I can afford states it is the equivalent to a stock 27t, on the other hand, the VXL by Traxxas states it's closer to a 10t. Anyone have any suggestions either way?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Snake_Eyes

Default RE: hybrid motor, good idea?

I have a Novak 5800 Super Sport plus system, and it flies. I've actually been thinking of getting rid of it because I don't use it. If you're interested, let me know, I could let it go for a very reasonable price.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 AM
ohgrfreak

i have the hybrid motor installed and tested on the workbench, tomorrow when i get some parts i'm waiting on installed, i'll take it out to the track and see what it'll do.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 AM
cheech4

let us know how it works, this sounds interesting.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 AM
wd40prerunner

Any updates if it worked ?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 AM
ohgrfreak

still waiting for some carriers and bearings in the mail, should be here in a couple hours, i'll throw them on then i'm out the door to the track for testing. test bench testing made me assume that it would be a screamer but it's a little stiff (hard to turn) when not on mid to full throttle which could be bad for my gears and diff, so i loosened up the slipper a bit to protect that area.

i also had to do a last minute adjustment to the chassis, my IB4200 had to be rebuilt and in doing so, it came out to be a tad longer than when it was new, so i had to dremel some chassis to get it to fit.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
hands without shadows

People have been combining motors like this for ages, sometimes it works out better, sometimes it doesn't.

Usually it was people that drove their stock stampedes until the brushes wore out (the stinger isn't rebuild able), got a new motor and drove it until the com was gone, and then ran the stinger armature in their new motor's can.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
ohgrfreak

kewl, well, it was a no-go, ran for a while, then slowed till the motor would not run anymore, total runtime was roughly 30 seconds. it also confused the heck out of my esc which had to be reset for some reason before i could run the stock titan again.