Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Please help

Old 03-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Rogue670
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

I just recently purchased the Mercedes dlk RC car from radio shack. Ya Ya I know, you can stop laughing now. Well I have done some modifications to it such as making it lighter and some other minor things because I wanted to see if I could get its speed to increase. Well after I started tinkering with it I got hooked on trying to make it faster. Well since then I have purchased a faster motor for it than its wimpy stock mabuchi. But I was disapointed in the result. It top end speed was slightly faster but it was really sluggish on the get go. So I thought maybe the motor I got for it was just defective. Not so. I wired the new motor directly to a battery and it had so much power and torque it just about jerked out of my hand. So I came to the conclusion that there was too much resistance between the battery and the new motor via the jumble of electronics. So my question is this. Is there any way I can modify the radio shack curcuit board so I can deliver more juice to the motor? By the way, the new motor I have installed in my radio shack special is the Traxxas Stinger 20 turn motor. Like I said, I got it to work but I want all the torgue and power I can get if possible. Please help me out. I can enclose an attachment of the circuit board if need be. Thanks
Old 03-13-2003, 03:35 AM
rcidiot728

Default Please help

well odds are the resistance comes from the speed control, its probably crap. also if u wanted to modify a radio shack car, the new "hobby class" viper would be a better choice, though it is more expensive and a whole lot worse than a a traxxas sport or spirit
Old 03-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Gecko

Default Please help

Go with a "Real" RC if you can, I've had alot of experiance with radio shack and I'm so happy I got in to the "real" RC cars instead. What might help beside the getting some sort of a better ESC you could try (If your handy with a Soldring Iron) to resolder the critical areas of the CP chip with a good quality Silver Solder.....RS usually uses lead based high resistance solder that has alot of resistance. Just think, if you get some sort of real RC you could also mess with gears, get lots and lots of motors, a much longer running range, and it will last longer (Debatable to users). One more thing is you might want to get some 12 or 14 Gauge wire, btw don't screw with the servo wires, it will totaly mess your car up if you get the right one. hope this helps

Gecko
Old 03-13-2003, 08:32 PM
rcidiot728

Default Please help

ya same here gecko, i actually have like 4 radioshack cars as past christmas presents, but now all i want for christmas is parts for my stampede, i'm hopin i can get it to hit 60 mph, now it only goes about 35 though