Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How do i charge my batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
PPGpainted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i charge my batteries?

I am new to all of this and I dont have a clue what Im doing to my revo batteries. I have a Duratrax ac/dc single batt charger. I have a duratrax 1500 ( the one with the shark on it) for my e-z-start and the stock traxxas blue flat pack and an aftermarket flat-pack just like it .should i discharge my battery every time? should I slow charge every time? should I slow charge then peak every time? or should I just peak charge every time?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM
N8ight

Default RE: How do i charge my batteries?

I'm not an expert so I would suggest you continue to seek advice from other RC'ers - however I'm pretty sure that it depends on the type of battery pack you have. If those battery packs are Ni-cad then you should try to run them empty before you charge again - and you can do either a peak charge or a trickle charge, most peak chargers will charge it to peak, then switch to trickle charge until you remove the battery from the charger. If your battery packs are Ni-MH (nickel metal hydrate) then you don't have to discharge the battery before you charge it. Ni-MH batteries do not have "cell memory" which means they won't try to store any charging memory, however Ni-Cad batteries do have cell memory and that is why you are supposed to fully dis-charge before you re-charge. You do not to charge over a partially charged ni-cad pack because you will eventually shorten the life of the battery and the charge capacity. The other battery type is Lipo (Lithium Polymer - or something like that) and that is a whole different type of battery and I don't know much about them, so I won't act like I do! Hope that helps...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
LiL Richy

Check the nitro forums.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
kdz76

The Shark 1500MA in Nicad they should be fully discharged before recharging. This will extend their life if you charger is a peak charger try to run your batteries down all the way then peak charge them, when the cells get the full charge it will switch to a trickle to keep those batteries at full. One thing to remember is do not charge the batteries while the pack is hot this will also prematurely kill them wait until its cool to the touch to recharge.