Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

car for straightline p-lot drag race

Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
hazegry1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car for straightline p-lot drag race

Started over in the drag forums but they said not enough traction on a parking lot for a dragster. I need a fast elec car to race with turning around is not an issue I dont mind going after the car but will need some steering. everyone else runs nitro I think I can get them with a good elec motor most of the races are won on the hole shot. a few of the guys have been clocked at just under 100mph. I am a dirt guy but want to get started. I obviously know nothing about street cars so any recommendations on a set up?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
kavvika

Default RE: car for straightline p-lot drag race

sounds like you want a 4wd touring car with foams. Try ebay or the the Buy&sell section of this site for a used TC3 or something.

Oh, you did say 100mph. Maybe a brushless motor could get you up there?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
kdz76

maybe a TC4 with brushless setup and high grip foam tires? just a stab in the dark
Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
rvogster

I'm more of an off road guy too but I would agree with everyone else. A nice touring car with a brushless motor and LiPos would do pretty well in a straight line. I don't know about 100 mph though.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM
NitroNuisance

Something like this dragster would be awesome for draging http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1 but I have looked for an electric one all over and I can only find nitro's. If anyone knows where to find one let me know. This thing would fly with a nice bl system. Whoever won this auction got a pretty sweat deal. I was at $130.00 and at work when the auction ended. I probably would have whent to $170 at least!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
rvogster

This company makes very nice electric and nitro dragster kits.

http://www.grandmotorsports.com/default.asp
Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
maxxdout

im thinking about making a dragster. im gonna use my mamba 8000. It gonna be tough cuz i never made one before though.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 PM
NitroNuisance

That graphite one seems like it would be pretty easy to make. I wish I had access to a mill. I whent to school for machine tooling but wasn't making enough money in the trade so I got my degree in computer science and am now a network admin. I found plates of carbon fiber on e-bay and was thinking about making a chassis like the one on the ultimate bandit project but that whole dragster would actually be simple to make with a mill since there is only a couple aluminum parts and a few carbon fiber plates.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
kavvika

The thing is that the Grand Motorsports dragster doesn't steer. What would better for drag racing, shaft or belt drive? Or does it even matter for this application. I'm think you want a car as light as possible, strength doesnt matter except for the driveline since you wont be bashing. A graphite chassis TC like an HPI Pro or TC3/4 should serve you well as you can get graphite chassis for both of them I believe.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. Are you looking for a touring car or a dragster? If you're looking for a cheap dragster check out the ones that Bolink sells. I had one years ago and even with a cheap motor and six cells it was plenty fast. I can't imagine how insane it would have been with a good motor and 10-12 cells like the drag guys run. I ran an ESC but alot of guys save money by running two micro switches which are turned on be a servo on the throttle channel. When the servo moves one way it gives the dragster full throttle, and when the other switch is hit it shorts the motor for brakes. For drag racing it's more than enough. (try doing a search in the drag forum or google for diagrams)
Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
drevil

ORIGINAL: kavvika
The thing is that the Grand Motorsports dragster doesn't steer. What would better for drag racing, shaft or belt drive?
Technically direct drive would be the best option. So if he was looking for something more along the lines of a touring car then I'd suggest something like a Tamiya F103GT. If I had to decide between shaft/belt I'd go with shaft drive because the power is more direct and he wouldn't have to worry about pebbles getting in the belt.

However if he's truly looking for something to go fast in a straight line then I'd still suggest the dragster. It'll go much faster with less power (due to weight). I understand what the drag guys mean when they say a parking lot won't have enough traction but I think they're refering to one of their insanely quick cars. For a budget dragster it should have enough traction. When I owned mine all I did was run it in parking lots. (no r/c drag races around here)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
poe

I wouldnt suggest a 2wd f103gt because a less efficient 4wd TC can put the power down twice as well. Thats unless you could fit some 30mm foams to the back or something wild like that.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is that the Grand Motorsports dragster doesn't steer.
The rail does have steering. If you look closely at the front axle, you will notice a small hole on the left side of the front axle. The front axle rotates about the center pin.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
NitroNuisance

Where do you find the bolink dragsters? I don't see any on the web site?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM
drevil

I don't think Bolink updates their site. They've been making what I believe is called the Econo Rail dragster, a funny car, prostock car, and nitro rail for many years. Tower used to sell them all but it looks like Tower no longer carries Bolink. I guess you'd have to find somebody who sells Bolink products or contact Bolink so they can point you to an online store who can get it for you.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: NitroNuisance

That graphite one seems like it would be pretty easy to make. I wish I had access to a mill. I whent to school for machine tooling but wasn't making enough money in the trade so I got my degree in computer science and am now a network admin. I found plates of carbon fiber on e-bay and was thinking about making a chassis like the one on the ultimate bandit project but that whole dragster would actually be simple to make with a mill since there is only a couple aluminum parts and a few carbon fiber plates.
Check this out:
http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/cnchome.htm

I have the plans already, I've got a project that I have to finish before I start one of these. I'm currently finishing a roll away tool cabinet made of 120+ year old white oak. As soon as that is done I'm going to start in making one of these CNC routers. I may make some modifications to the plans for a regular R8 spindle instead of a router. The funny thing is building the first CNC router will be the hardest part after that I can use the first router to make another. I doubt that mine will be made entirely out of wood as I work at a machine shop already, so I'll fashion some of the more critical parts out of steel or something sturdier than MDF.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
hazegry1

I think I am going to use a TC4 with a graphite chassis. Now I just need to figure out what brushless motor and lipo battery to run.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
hazegry1

Looks like its gonna be a maba max 7700 or 6900 with a 3slipo pack I will figure out the gearing after I get the car.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
drevil

BTW for anyone interested I contacted Bolink to find out if they still made the EconoRail dragster. Turns out that when whomever owns the company bought it they didn't get any of the drag race stuff in the deal. The drag cars will now be sold under a company called RJ Speed.

Thank you for your interest in BoLink R/C Cars. Unfortunately the drag
business was not included in our purchase of the BoLink company. I will
tell you that those cars will be available again soon through a company
called RJ Speed.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 PM
maxxdout

ORIGINAL: kavvika

The thing is that the Grand Motorsports dragster doesn't steer. What would better for drag racing, shaft or belt drive? Or does it even matter for this application. I'm think you want a car as light as possible, strength doesnt matter except for the driveline since you wont be bashing. A graphite chassis TC like an HPI Pro or TC3/4 should serve you well as you can get graphite chassis for both of them I believe.
The GMS dragster has steering. It has a hole in the front axle of which you put a steering rod in and mount a micro servo on the chassis. Thats why it has a screw and spring in the middle, for steering.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
drevil

It definitely steers. Take a look at the picture below. It doesn't have the ordinary steering setup that you're used to seeing which is why you probably thought it didn't steer at all. In reality the entire axle pivots in the middle.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
studysession

I have the Electric GMS 14 and I can turn around just fine.