Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What brushless setup?? Please help Quick

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
crazyman3737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brushless setup?? Please help Quick

So I have decided to go brushless on my losi xxx-t 2wd stadium truck. My track in my back yard and my local race track both have a lot of jumps (if that matters) and I also like a lot of speed.
I have the funds to go brushless but I dont know what combination to get. I was looking at the Feigao 380C 6T but i also dont know what turn motor is best for me.
I also just blew my 6cell 4100MaH battery so i need a battery too.

(Im new to electric so bare with me)

I need help deciding what motor/ esc/ battery to get and i need to order it tomorrow morning at the latest to be able to race next weekend.
Any kind of information/ input is helpful
Also, what kind of gear setup would i need for it, i am currently usin a 19t pinion and 86t spur gear on my trinity 19t motor

Edit: It also does NOT need to be ROAR legal. And whats the difference between sensored and sensorless? can i run say a sensored motor with a sensorless esc?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: What brushless setup?? Please help Quick

For racing, if you need a ROAR legal setup, then Novak GTB + w/e motor is the way to go. For long fast tracks, you want the 5.5R motor, for slower tracks with jumps and turns you want maybe the 7.5R or heck get the XBR esc + 8.5, even 13.5 motor if you race in stock class.

For batteries, you want 6-cell IB4200s or similar.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
rschoi_75

Actually the Feigao 380C 6T is a pretty darn good motor for the price ($50-$60). Since your losi is pretty light, even a MM motor will work. Something like a 5700 would be fine. But the Feigao will run much cooler than a mamba max motor for the same price. If you want a step up, you can use a Lehner Basic 4200 or 5300. There are also top of the line motors like the Lehner 1920 series and Neu 1509 series... but those will run you over $250 each.

You should get a Mamba max esc. Its by far the best bang for the buck esc around. Its sensorless, so you can use any sensorless motor on it. You can even run a brushed motor on it, but that's another topic... Expect to pay around $120-140 for the esc.

As for batteries. Brushless systems work best when paired with a lipo. But if you are on a budget, a good quality 6-7 cell battery will be fine. Stick with GP or Elite. I used to promote Intellect batteries too, but I've recently had a few bad batches and don't like them anymore. Their quality control is going down hill. They included too many DOA cells when I bought a bulk pack of 30 cells. I replaced the set and got another one. Same thing. 5/30 were DOA. That's way too many doa cells, so I just got my money back, and went back to GP. It may have just been my hobby shop carrying old batts, but either way, I was soured to IB.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
crazyman3737

-I cant find anyone who sells the feigao 380c. where can i find one for sale (preffrably the 8t)
Im going to use the mamba max esc with the feigao 8t and an IB4200 battery... <Is this a decent setup for my truck?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:07 PM
rschoi_75

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...AO_380C&cat=20
Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 AM
crazyman3737

ok one last question before i order the goods. I am assuming with all the extra power going through the tranny I will need some different pinion gears and such to get the ratio correct again but im not sure.

I have an 86t spur and 2 pinion gears (19 and 20t). Will I need some smaller pinion gears? If so what? i want to include the gears in this order that im placing this morning so any kind of help is greatly appreciated

and thanks to those people that have already helped me so far
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Phelansa

Do not discount the XBR/EX 8.5 combos from Novak. No, they are not as fast as something MM based. But they are cheaper and the performance is not bad.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM
crazyman3737

This combo is actually pretty close to the same price as the novak combo. the only problem I see is that a lot of people have broken their feigao motors but i think with my reallylight xxx-t and colder temperatures up here in maine I think itll be fine

Any insight on the gearing situation as i posted above though?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Phelansa

I know very little to nothing about the Lossi XXX-t. So I cannot even begin to guess at the gearing requirements. But if you are looking at about a 5000KV motor, then a pretty good rule of thumb is to gear the same as for a 10-12T motor.

If you are lucky then the different gearing setups for different Turn motors will be in your manual
Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
crazyman3737

ok so i got my mamba max and fiegao 9t motor but the motor didnt come with any plugs to go into the esc. Should it have come with some or do you just put the bare wires into it?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
rschoi_75

The motors normally do not come with plugs. You need to buy 3 male 4mm bullet plugs and solder them to the motor leads.

or you can just hard wire (i.e. direct solder connection) the motor if you like. Hard wiring just makes it more of a pain to change motors.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM
rvogster

ORIGINAL: crazyman3737

This combo is actually pretty close to the same price as the novak combo. the only problem I see is that a lot of people have broken their feigao motors but i think with my reallylight xxx-t and colder temperatures up here in maine I think itll be fine

Any insight on the gearing situation as i posted above though?
Where did you read or hear that lots of people have broken their feigao motors? I would be intrested in reading about that.