Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Truggy Throws a magnet

Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Shark413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Truggy Throws a magnet

Ok, so I took my brushless truggy out to the track and put in a few laps. It was running good, with good temps (135 degrees on the ESC, 140 on the motor and 107 on the battery). The thing was completely unreal, faster than any nitro car out there, popping wheelies down the main straight, just awsome power. Then nothing, the car slowed way down. I could hear the motor spinning but nothing. uh-oh, blown diff, stripped spur, snapped rotor? It turned out to be the notorious Feigao separated magnet syndrome. Now my question is can this be fixed? I did some preliminary research and some people stated they had success using JB weld to glue the magnet back onto the rotor/shaft. A techie at CC recommended green loctite. What do you guys think?

Ambient air temp - 100 degrees (SoCal in the summer)
gearing 12/46T
Feigao 8XL
Cen Matrix TR Arena (Modified truggy)
MM esc/with fan
TrueRC 4s 8000 mah lipo
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 AM
mindwreck

Default RE: Brushless Truggy Throws a magnet

i just lathered it in loctite. sliped the magnet back on and wiped the excess off and left it overnight. my motor stills to be working fine again.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 AM
happywing

I have used JB Weld with great success, including a rotor/magnet. Nothing that I've used JB on has ever fallen apart.

Man, these Feigao motors sell like hotcakes. Why? So many of them fall apart. I know of people that have had several and each and every one of them fell apart. Some on the first run.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
skidooguymxz550

how about some loctite 603. we use it to attach prop shafts to flex cable. it stands up to a fieago 14xl on 20cells no problem. infact i actually managed to snap a cable in the middle. the bond is stronger than what it's holding

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=40

first item
Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Shark413

Yeah I am going to try Loctite #638 which supposed to be designed for this type of application (shafts to cylinders) and is one of the strongest adhesives (acrylic) they make. I will use JB Weld for the end plate and between the two magnets.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
TheTick

Can you give us some more info on your power system?