Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Project Choice? Academy SBV2 Pro Carbon or XRAY XT8 BL Conversion

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Project Choice? Academy SBV2 Pro Carbon or XRAY XT8 BL Conversion

Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
VintageMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Choice? Academy SBV2 Pro Carbon or XRAY XT8 BL Conversion

I am at a loss as to which buggy/truck I want to get next. I know that there is no comparison between the two mentioned in the title but there are the two that I am torn between.

This will be mostly for bashing around. I am not much of a racer, but I know that the Academy won't have a place at any of the tracks around me whereas the truggy will have an available class. Also - I live in a city apartment so space is starting to become a bit of an issue.

Academy SBV2 Pro Carbon - small, has gotten good reviews, but I have never owned an Academy car so I don't know first hand how well they are built. Already have most of the elctronics that would go in it.

XRAY XT8 - much bigger buggy and I already have a converted BL LST2, but I have a smaller XRAY and I know the build quality is second to none, more complicated build - have to figure out how to do the BL conversion. Once again - have most of the electronics.

I guess I should also consider a XB8 because they are the ultimate combination of speed and handling for offroad bashing - but I've already had a 1/8 buggy, so I have that been there done that feeling.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM
brushlessboy16

Default RE: Project Choice? Academy SBV2 Pro Carbon or XRAY XT8 BL Conversion

check out my ''electric Raze" thread its easier than u think
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
VintageMA

What is it you are saying is easier - the BL conversion? I am not so much concerned about that - I've done plenty of nitro to electric conversions (look at my sig ).

What I'm trying to figure out is what buggy (1/8 or 1/10) of truggy I want to do it on.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Davey G

Either car sounds like it will suit your needs in one way or another. There is a big difference in the amount of money that your going to spend, but I guess thats obvious and not too much of a concern. If you need help with anything feel free to give me a call.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 PM
VintageMA

Dave - I was reading the thread over at rctech that you are very active in (http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143694) and I am defintely having some concerns with purchasing the SBV2 Pro.

I've read through the entire thread (and it is wayyyyyy long) and there seem to be people having a lot of build issues. Problems with steering, the outdrives binding in the diff cup based on ride height, seems a lot of damage can occur with a crash, having to spend a lot of time shiming the diffs to get the gear mesh right.

Obviously we are talking two different cars - but I am swaying towards to the build quality of the xray right now. Their tolerances are very tight and you just don't read a lot about people trying to solve problems with the xray cars. Seems most of the thread involved people trying to solve problems instead of people braggin about how great the buggy is.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Davey G

ORIGINAL: VintageMA

Dave - I was reading the thread over at rctech that you are very active in (http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143694) and I am defintely having some concerns with purchasing the SBV2 Pro.

I've read through the entire thread (and it is wayyyyyy long) and there seem to be people having a lot of build issues. Problems with steering, the outdrives binding in the diff cup based on ride height, seems a lot of damage can occur with a crash, having to spend a lot of time shiming the diffs to get the gear mesh right.

Obviously we are talking two different cars - but I am swaying towards to the build quality of the xray right now. Their tolerances are very tight and you just don't read a lot about people trying to solve problems with the xray cars. Seems most of the thread involved people trying to solve problems instead of people braggin about how great the buggy is.
Hello,

I can see why you would be concerned. The SBV2 Pro is a full blown racer. The instructions used to build this vehicle are the same instructions as the ones provided with the SBV2 sport series of buggies. There is a SBV2 Pro ammendment sheet supplied with the new V2 pro vehicle, it seems as if some people are getting confused as per what directions they should be using. There are no drivetrain or steering issues with this vehicle. This vehicle just needs to be built with the utmost care, it has nothing to do with tolerances, just takes a keen eye to details. I believe the people stating that they are having outdrive issues are the people that still have the original v2 sport, the v2 pro has solved this. The bellcrank steering throw is good but there are ways to increase it. This does not HAVE to be done, but some people do it anyway. This car is more durable then most of the other 4wd buggies on the market, and I'm not just saying that because I work here. Hope all is well, talk to you soon!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
VintageMA

Dave - Thanks - appreciate the info.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
rschoi_75

+1 on the quality of Academy products.

They are very well made. I'd love to have a SBV2 pro, but I already have the SBV1 pro and can't justify upgrading until I break it. Which hasn't happed yet. I drive the V1 pretty hard, and it won't die... My SBV1 pro is set up with a MM/Feigao 540 6S on a 2s 6000mah maxamps lipo.

I guess it comes down to major issues: 1) Scale 2) Budget

The academy will run about $600-800 depending on how expensive a motor you get (i.e. feigao vs lehner/neu). The xb8 should run about $1000-1200 ballpark.... (prices are assuming that you need everything. I'm assuming you already have radio equipment and some spare servos, so in reality, it should be cheaper for you).
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
VintageMA

Well, right now neither is really in my budget [&o] (just bought a home)

But depending on what I decide on - I will start to save up for the project.

I am actually planning on using this with the new Spectrum DX3R (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM3100) radio when it comes out. I've been dying to upgrade to DSM and glad I waited.......

For a servo - I will probably go with a fast digital servo.

I already have the LiPos in either case.

I'll be running a MM esc, motor selection would depend on what I end up getting.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
rschoi_75

Well, stick to the feigao/nemesis/wanderer motors if you're on a budget.

A 540 7S or 8S will be ideal for the Academy SBV2 on a 2s lipo.

A 540 7XL or 8XL will be good for the XB8 on a 4s lipo (or two 2s run in series).