Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
maxxdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Question...

Hey,
I see on some motors they say 14t double or 12 triple or somthing like that. What does the triple/double or any of those things mean? How does it affect the motor?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Default RE: Motor Question...

What does the turns mean on a electric motor?
A Turn is number of times the wire inside the motor is wrapped around the armature poles. Stock motors have 27 wraps (or turns) of 22 gauge wire, that is, 22 gauge wire wrapped around the armature poles 27 times. Modified motors can have as low as 5 or 6 turns or as many as 20 to 25.o have more comm wear.

What does single, double, triple, or quadruple mean on a modified motor?
A Single has one thick wire, a Double is a two thinner wires, a Triple has three thinner wires than the Double, a Quad has four thinner wires, and so on. So, an 8 Double will have TWO (Double) thin wires wrapped around the pole 8 times. A 12 Triple will have THREE (Triple) wires wrapped around the pole 12 times, and the 10 Single will have ONE (Single) thick wire wrapped around the pole 10 times.

What are the advantages of a single, double, triple, or quadruple modified motor?
A Single provides harder acceleration (torque), while a Quad will provide a much smoother power band. The 8, 12, 10, 14, or 16 turn motors will provide a lot more rpm than a stock 27 turn (less wire means less weight), but, obviously, the 8 will have the best rpm (typically).

Are there any other differences between a stock and modified motor?
A Stock motor has a set timing and has bushing in the can and the end bell. A modified motor has adjustable timing and has bearings in the can and the end bell

For more frequenlty aske questions on Electric motors visit this http://www.rcracingusa.net/electricmotor.htm
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
maxxdout

wow, that answered my question and more. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
JFACKY

The lower number of turns means a much stronger and more defined magnetic field is created at the poles of the armature. this is what gives the motor it higher rpm. not just the fact that it is lighter....just spin a stock motor and then spin a low turn motor and you can feel the differance.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Actually, the lower number of turns can not create a stronger magnetic field by itself. Here's what I mean. A 20 turn motor pulls only HALF the amps the 10 turn motor of the same model would pull in order to create the SAME magnetic power/ i.e. torque. That is one of the reasons also that lower turn motors will heat up more and give lesser runtime. The reason why lower turn motors have higher rpm has something to do with the magnetic field that the higher turn motor's coils of wires are producing working against itself so to speak.

I'm not sure exactly how it works or how to describe it, but somehow the longer length of wire around a high turn motor causes the polarity of the magnetic field to take a little longer to disappate and change in polarity and in a way limits higher rpm. I think it has something to do with the inductance of the wiring or whatchamacallit.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:50 PM
maxxdout

i already know all about the turns and that stuff, all i wanted to know was what do single, double, triple, or quadruple mean. Thanks anyway