Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

3cell 4000 maH run times too short! vxl rustler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
bpd282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3cell 4000 maH run times too short! vxl rustler

Go-to,

Here are the pics of my fan setup.

I simply used a GWS EDF-40H ducted fan unit, which I already had for a helicopter application, some "Amazing Goop" glue and a Mega Power 7.4 850 mah 2s lipo as my power source. I made a flat spot on the ducted fan unit housing to attach better to the rear shock tower. The Ducted fan unit has a wire plug that directly plugs into the JST plug on the battery. The plug from the motor will plug into the stock ESC fan plug, but I wanted to keep my fan own it's own power supply. I am also thinking about buying a fan for the ESC. The fan blows a lot of air and has taken my temps way down. The fan unit adds 27 grams and the battery is another 44 grams. The temp reduction has been worth the minor increase in weight.

I like the looks of the Integy heatsink and fan, but I do not want to demmel my tranny case to get it to fit. My mod is not as pretty as the Integy fan/heatsink but it sure does work.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3cell 4000 maH run times too short! vxl rustler

ORIGINAL: bpd282

Go-to,

Here are the pics of my fan setup.

I simply used a GWS EDF-40H ducted fan unit, which I already had for a helicopter application, some "Amazing Goop" glue and a Mega Power 7.4 850 mah 2s lipo as my power source. I made a flat spot on the ducted fan unit housing to attach better to the rear shock tower. The Ducted fan unit has a wire plug that directly plugs into the JST plug on the battery. The plug from the motor will plug into the stock ESC fan plug, but I wanted to keep my fan on it's own power supply. I am also thinking about buying a fan for the ESC. The fan blows a lot of air and has taken my temps way down. The fan unit adds 27 grams and the battery is another 44 grams. The temp reduction has been worth the minor increase in weight.

I like the looks of the Integy heatsink and fan, but I do not want to dremmel my tranny case to get it to fit. My mod is not as pretty as the Integy fan/heatsink but it sure does work.
That's a nifty setup...I like that. I imagine the battery life will be slightly less if you start plugging fans into the ESC.

I've seen a few setups where a small northbridge PC heatsink fan was added to the ESC and that looked good and works decently I'd assume.

Cool setup man. Function over form is OK by me!