Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slipper Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Jerohmeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipper Clutch problems

I went to the park and took my vxl rustler out on its first run. I was having performance problems and what it turned out to be was the slipper clutch. With the help of other posters I found this out and corrected the problem. Now the truck runs great! I got a 28 min. run in today! With no performance problems at all!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Access was right! Do not get a 4000 mah lipo!

Did you reset the mesh when you pulled it out of the box new? I've heard a few accounts of the mesh being poorly configured from the factory. As for the 11.1v going 7 minutes, that sounds a little low to me... Was that the first run with this battery?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Jerohmeee

I just finished charging the battery and it charged 1659 mah. So that means I had 2341 mah left in the battery. Thats more thans half. So why did the speed of the truck go down so much so soon? It was like i wasnt getting much power out of it at all and I did try reconnectiong the battery only to lose the speed again in liek a minute. This is all probably because of the esc. Should I turn the esc off?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Jerohmeee

ORIGINAL: hunter306

Did you reset the mesh when you pulled it out of the box new? I've heard a few accounts of the mesh being poorly configured from the factory. As for the 11.1v going 7 minutes, that sounds a little low to me... Was that the first run with this battery?

No i didnt reset the mesh... im not sure how to do that im pretty new to all of this.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't sound right for run time. I get over 20mins of runtime in my mini's with brushless and lipos. I also get close to 20 mins of runtime with a 6 cell 3300mah NIMH in my Stampede with a Mamba Max 4600kv setup.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Jerohmeee

Well I guess its not the battery cus i charged it and the battery still had 2341mah still left in it when i stopped the run. So i guess its not the battery its the esc that if up the speed.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 PM
t9dragon

What type of charger are you using? Do you have a balancer for the Lipo? Check to make sure there isn't anything causing the drivetrain to bind up. What does it do when you are holding the truck and give it some throttle? The gear mesh is how the pinion gear and spur gear come together.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
webdr

Yes, you should look at the charger as to why your only putting 1659 into it. If it has an adjustable peak detection, look there (thinking outloud; when charging a lipo, is there EVEN a peak detection??)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Jerohmeee

well i put in 4000 max to charge. It beeped and it was done. I think it only put in that much cuz thats all it could put in
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Heat could be the slipper slipping (friction) Maybe there's a lvc in the esc that is cutting power on the pack?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
lee172

if your new to this why not title the thread better, you make out its the lipo that is the problem, and from what you have wrote i doubt this is the case.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Jerohmeee

I ran my vxl rustler today in the park in the grass and yup access was right about the 3 cell 4000mah! I was lucky to get a 10 min. run out of it! I'd say 7 min. into the run the power went drastically down. I let it rest and started again and the power was good maybe for like a minutes and then went down the ****ter again. If i hit tall grass the thing would barely even move. It sounded like the motor was going but the wheels werent turning.

Now i checked the temps and the motor and battery were ok but there was smoke comming out of the gear cover. I took a temp. of the gear cover and that was like 170. So is this normal for smoke comming out of the gear cover. I went home and took the gear cover off and the gears looked fine. None of the the teeth were stripped.
Check the gear mesh. Your problem could be fixable. And drop the pinion a few teeth. The gears should never smoke, if they do, the mesh could be off, the slipper could be too loose, etc.

B'cos your battery still had more than half the charge after the run, you're seeing a different problem than I was and it might yet be fixable. Was the battery super-hot at the end of the run?

Smoke is never 'normal'. Especially with an electric.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM
t9dragon

I see that he has started another thread now about the ESC.........................[&:]
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Jerohmeee

no the battery was not hot at all.... ya ther was def. smoke comming out from the gear cover. the gear mesh looks alright. Like i said the spur's teeth r like halfway down into the pinion teeth. The slipper... ya i have no idea how to tweak that.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: Jerohmeee

no the battery was not hot at all.... ya ther was def. smoke comming out from the gear cover. the gear mesh looks alright. Like i said the spur's teeth r like halfway down into the pinion teeth. The slipper... ya i have no idea how to tweak that.

my guess is if the smoke is coming from the gear cover then the slipper is too loose and its spiining like crazy and burning up the pads quickly, i suggest you follow the manual and tighten up the slipper all the way and back it off 1/2 turn i think thats what the manual says, that at least would take care of the smoking problem.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Slo-V Flyer

You should change the title. The battey has obviously NOTHING to do with the problem you're having. Other than the fact that it's supplying all the power your motor wants.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 PM
aer-wubby

Slipper is slipping too much, man. Tighten it. Also, just because it's peaking at a low number, the remaining mAh it didn't charge isn't the mAh you had left (always). It could be a false peak. You mentioned when the power started to get lower, you let it sit off for a bit, and turned it back on. If the battery was pretty much discharged, you can over-discharge the LiPo which can damage it, possibly explaining false peak or not getting all that mAh in.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Vic Nyce

how many volts is your battery showing post charge? i believe a 3S should be around 12.6V.