Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stripped 2 different gears in 2 trucks in <10 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped 2 different gears in 2 trucks in <10 minutes

Ok, so there I am running my Nitro Hawk.... and my radio wants to glitch/stutter whatever you want to call it but only while the engine is running. So I proceed to just finish the fuel in there and get it over with.... Never had it happen before. Maybe there was more dirt in the receiver pack + - terminals than I thought...No biggy.

Plugged the 3s lipo into my Emaxx to get my r/c doodles. Drove it for 5 minutes.... *Crackle *gggGGGRRRRRrriiiinnnDDDD!!*
... grind.. GGggGGrring.....GGrrrrind.... GGrrrinnd....

GREAT!! Stripped something. After a few choice words, brought it in home. Plugged the lipo into up my Rustler.

Drove it for 3 minutes....

GgGgGgGGggrraaaahhh!!! Grrainndd Grinnd Grrrriind....
Hmm...Screw it.
*squeeze*
GRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnndddd!!!!!! *Kick*.

Couple of PG-13 words later, brought IT home too.

A wonderful 1 dozen screws loosened... Found out my Rustler's main diff ring gear is completely stripped. Busted teeth all over the transmission like oily powder. Gotta wait to get to LHS to replace. Fun.

1 hour later opened up the Emaxx's gears. Found even more powdered residue all over. Stripped 2nd gear idler. No problems there. Had 2 spares to choose from. 1 dozen screws and 1 hour later, all done.

3 different trucks. 3 different bad luck incidents in a row within 15 minutes.

Of course, none of that comes close to last year, crashed a 5 day new $80 balsa airplane with $50 motor $45 ESC and brand new never used $80 lipo in less than 5 minutes of it's maiden flight. Yeah it still hurts.[>:] Why? Because I CA'd the wings instead of epoxy.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Lumpmister

Default RE: Stripped 2 different gears in 2 trucks in <10 minutes

Sounds like you need to learn how to tighten all of your screws..... j/k

It does suck when you have a day like that though!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
kimberklr

Default RE: Stripped 2 different gears in 2 trucks in <10 minutes

i hear ya man.

it seems when it rains it pours.

i've been running a brushless in my pede for about 6 months now and haven't hurt anything but a couple bodies and ground my tranny down to the screws.

well last week within an hour or so i stripped 1 spur gear,1 rear yoke shaft,and broke a front caster block in seperate incidents. []

gee cant wait to get my 7 cells.