Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Nitro Rush electric equivalent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 PM
nikg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Rush electric equivalent?

I drove my friend's nitro rush this past weekend, and while it was a little old and underpowered, it was really fun. I have an E-Savage for bashing and good offraod capability, but I was thinking about getting something like the rush only electric. Priorities are
1. Relatively fast at least 25-30mph
2. Jumpable/bashable/tough---doesn't have to be savage tough, but should be able to take a high speed curb hit without breaking
3. Good handling---I'm not going racing, but the e-savage is too tipsy. I want to keep my stronger springs and height on it for jumps. This needs to be low to the ground but still able to jump.
4. Used and cheap---Not looking for new. Must be available on eBay/craigslist for $100 give or take. Don't care what brand as long as the track record is good and parts are somewhat available.

I'm open to older models that are still considered good performers. Again, not going racing I just want a lower vehicle with decent handling that can still go offroad. 2wd is fine. Don't need another MT.

Buggy? Stadium truck? Please give recommendations

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:24 PM
brushlessboy16

Default RE: Nitro Rush electric equivalent?

try the rustler xl-5
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Lumpmister

Yup... Rustler is the electric equivalant to the Nitro Sport (sorta). It is a tough car that lots of people love. Plus any good hobby shop in the US carries parts for it.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 AM
NitroNuisance

Rustler, duh
Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM
happywing

Yup, you pretty much described a Rustler.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: happywing

You also might want to check out the xxx-t series of trucks. There pretty durable.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Lumpmister

ORIGINAL: Takedown

You also might want to check out the xxx-t series of trucks. There pretty durable.
Not as durable as a rustler though. They are also more for racers.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
hands without shadows

The xl-5 Rustler on 7 or 8 cells will keep you satisfied. You might find that it doesn't do so well in grass but some bigger tires will fix that.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM
nikg

So, the rustler sucks. What should I buy then?
Just kidding. Thanks

How about buggies? What is the difference between buggy and Rustler?
What is the Rustler considered to be? (stadium truck?) How is the Stampede different from the Rustler?

Ironically this guy with the nitro Rush also has an older Rustler.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM
happywing

Buggies are smaller and won't travel as well over various surfaces. They tend to flip over a lot easier, but are very agile on smooth surfaces. The Rustler is a stadium truck. The Stampede is a 2wd monster truck. It has a higher COG, but will go over just about anything. Pedes are better in grass and great jumpers. The Pede is not very good at tight turns and, in general, it doesn't handle as good as the Rustler.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
nikg

Thanks Happywing. Like I said, I don't need another MT because I have the E-Savage that I am totally satisfied with for pure bashing/ jumping and offroad stuff. It is good on the road too, but the high COG does make it flip over easily. I know I could get offset wheels and lower it to help out, but I kinda want to keep it as it is. Maybe offset wheels for more stability on jumps in the future.

Thanks for the buggy info. I always thought they were more stable than the stadium trucks and did not flip over easily because they are so low to the ground. Maybe you mean flipping over during jumps?
Again, the description of the Rustler sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Now to find one cheap.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nikg

Thanks Happywing. Like I said, I don't need another MT because I have the E-Savage that I am totally satisfied with for pure bashing/ jumping and offroad stuff. It is good on the road too, but the high COG does make it flip over easily. I know I could get offset wheels and lower it to help out, but I kinda want to keep it as it is. Maybe offset wheels for more stability on jumps in the future.

Thanks for the buggy info. I always thought they were more stable than the stadium trucks and did not flip over easily because they are so low to the ground. Maybe you mean flipping over during jumps?
Again, the description of the Rustler sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Now to find one cheap.
Buggies don't flip over jumps if everything is right. My Losi flies like a plane, then it lands.

Rustlers are very easy to find cheap. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: annie_himself
Buggies don't flip over jumps if everything is right. My Losi flies like a plane, then it lands.
Exactly. Everything has to be right. You have to pay attention and square-up for successful buggy jumping. MT's and ST's don't require such precision driving.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: annie_himself
Exactly. Everything has to be right. You have to pay attention and square-up for successful buggy jumping. MT's and ST's don't require such precision driving.
Not everything has to be right, but most MT's don't fly as well as a buggy either. Plus, buggies are made for the track, pretty much like ST's, they are a bit limited to some terrain where a MT would not be.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
nikg

So, would a buggy be just as good for what I'm looking for? Are they not quite as durable? More expensive?
I want to be able to jump and handle some terrain (small rocks, uneven ground), but it also needs to be able to hit a tree at half speed and drive away.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
happywing

A buggy would not be good. Buggies like nice even terrain and yes, they do break easier. 1/10 buggies are for the track, not the backyard.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
annie_himself

A buggy would not be good. Buggies like nice even terrain and yes, they do break easier. 1/10 buggies are for the track, not the backyard.

ORIGINAL: nikg

So, would a buggy be just as good for what I'm looking for? Are they not quite as durable? More expensive?
I want to be able to jump and handle some terrain (small rocks, uneven ground), but it also needs to be able to hit a tree at half speed and drive away.
He is right, although they are durable and handle well they aren't for bashing.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Unless you get the Bandit, like my bro's brushless one. Then I'd say it's about as likely to break parts as my Rustler, if not less likely as it's been our experience. Damage so far has been a rear bearing hub that broke due to impact into a curb sideway (if I remember correctly), a busted front hinge and bent suspension pin after hitting a pole at 15mph (it's always the slow impacts....) and the occasional dings here and there with the tires/wheels shredding and all (going 50mph and power sliding, cartwheeling for 20 feet, etc etc.)....... As for the Rustler, I've broken 2 NITRO Rustler front caster blocks one right after the other from an ugly ~15-20 mph cartwheel, stripped two of the front camber links out of the rod ends from hitting curb sideways etc, (due to the turnbuckle not being long enough to grip into it deep, my fault) ripping out one rear arm from the tranny case suspension hinge from hitting... a pole..in slow-mo.

All in all, I'd say my Bandit handles/turns better, hops/jumps better (doesn't nose down easily) and climbs up the curb neatly compared to my widened Rustler. But yes, at high speed it can flip if it turns too hard, while my Rustler, assuming it actually steers (oh so much push...) doesn't flip as much due to its wider stance.

But yes, over thick even medium short grass, it needs momentum to cross it. And over rough terrain, with too many 1" stones and pebbles, it bounces around a little much (having a stiffer suspension setting with 60w oil, and being lighter and lower than my Rusty). I'm sure if I soften and raise the suspension it might do better.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:21 AM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

the race buggies break easier in the fron as some of the parts arnt a thick as the trucks. but as for the bandit...it wont be more frigile than the rustler everything is the same. only slightly smaller.

in your case i would just get the rustler xl-5, a 7-cell batt. and have at it.