Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What motor/esc for beginner driver/racer

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:51 PM
BUGEYED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor/esc for beginner driver/racer

Hey all. Well I should be getting my XXX-BK2 buggy roller in about a week. I've been trying to look at some motors and stuff but im just totally lost.
Im going to be practicing driving this buggy at tracks probably like once or twice a week. The track has a pretty decent sized oval. I PLAN on racing this buggy when i get better and dont wanna swap out the motor/esc for a better one.

Well, I definatly want a brushless motor/esc combo. I dont want one that will make the 2WD car too hard to drive and learn on but I still want to be able to keep up. My only expierience comes from Mini-T's and such. The reason why i want brushless is becuase i know brushless is the best and i dont want to have to replace a new motor and ESC when i get good at drivign the buggy. I need a setup that i can learn on and go fast with. Is that possible?

I was looking at the MAMBA MAX 7700 kv ESC/BRUSHLESS MOTOR COMB0. The price fits me okay. Still alot of money but i guess thats what it takes.

Any help is appreciated!! thanks!

-Jeremy
Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 PM
cheech4

Default RE: What motor/esc for beginner driver/racer

if your racing in the stock class, just look at 2 motors, trinity CO27 and the epic XX, 2 best motors for racing. NOW what tracks your running will be the deciding facotr for what motor your running, short tight tracks go with the co27 it has better torque but not as much top end as the XX. longer tracks go with the XX. any ESC can power a 27t motor so you can get something cheap.

now if you decide on racing 19t spec class, then again i recomend 2 motors. my first pick would be the 2007 orion element and second would be the check point money motor, both motors are the best for 19t spec racing but the orion element is slightly faster. Lastly alot of ESC's can also power a 19t motor relatively cheap too just make sure that can run 19t's

As far as the brushless motor you have picked thats a very fast motor and chances are you will not be that fast with the BK2 because you will have trouble putting the power down. the 7700 is a speed beast and most used for bashing purposes and street racing. And also with the mamba set ups most people dont use them for racing because they can cogg or studder because its a sensorless motor.. What is better for racing is a sensored motor and what i like are the novak systems for racing, and the fastest motor for racing with the bk2 would be the novak GTB 5.5 system. they have lower and faster motors like the 4.5 and the 3.5 but there most designed for touring racing... hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM
brushlessboy16

try the mamba 4600 very efficient more controllable, still the mamba max warranty, CS and adjustability, not found on other systems.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
BUGEYED

cheech, thank you so much. I really dont know much about classes and stuff, but i have a feeling ill be driving the car more outside of the track then AT the track lol. Your right about the mamba,m i read up a little on it and realized that the 77 was too big. I will look up the motors you listed. I will probably get a combo so that everything matches
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: BUGEYED

cheech, thank you so much. I really dont know much about classes and stuff, but i have a feeling ill be driving the car more outside of the track then AT the track lol. Your right about the mamba,m i read up a little on it and realized that the 77 was too big. I will look up the motors you listed. I will probably get a combo so that everything matches

like i said the 7700 is a beast with a 6 cell nimh you can see 43-45 mph on it, thats fast and controllable but it can be alot faster throwing in a 7 cell will get you 50+ mph thats sick... i dont race my MF2 yet so i have the mamba 6900 in it right now which for me is perfect cuz i mostly run nimh cells anyway its plenty fast but more controllable than the 7700.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM
BUGEYED

I was looking at the smaller sized mambas like the 4600 and thinking about running a 6 or 7 cell pack . I think that will give me the power i need for a while. How fast do you think ill be able to go on a setup like that? Im not planning on running LiPo anytime soon since i dont have a LiPoo charger yet.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM
cheech4

with the 4600 with 6 and 7 cells you should be between 30-35 mph, the 5700 will get you 35-40 on 6 and 7 cells, the 6900 between 40-50 and the 7700 about 43-55 with 6 and 7 cells
Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you start out in stock or 19t racing. Brushless other than a Novak 13.5t or 10.5t will be too powerful to start racing with.