Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

mini t or slider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM
ohgrfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini t or slider?

Tough choice for me personally, my woman wants a mini baja, and i want either a mini t or a slider...

I know that the mini t and baja can tackle some off road items and maybe gravel, what about the slider, I haven't seen a slider in action and I have no idea what hop ups are available for it in terms of wheels, tires, and motors, etc...

I love the Slider because it's so unique, it's in my price range, and comes with everything, including the to-drool-for 2.4ghz radio. Does the mini's come with the 2.4 system?

The baja and the mini are both also in my price range, but they seem more upgradable than the slider, is this the correct assumption?

Tell me what you think of the 1/18 losi's, I'm having a tough decision here...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Rustler06

Default RE: mini t or slider?

If you want to go offroading with a mini slider. The stock tires are for onroad.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Mini-Slider...................................

All 3 Mini's are based off the same platform. Mini-Slider will accept all of the Mini-T upgrades.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
ohgrfreak

so even without the extra ground clearance that the mini and baja's give me, i might still be able to slap on some mini t pin tires and ribbed fronts onto a slider and take it a little more offroad than i would stock? I don't plan to take it off jumps and offroad too much, i have the rustler for that, but i'll still have the urge to sometimes.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:23 PM
ohgrfreak

Oh, did I mention that the slider is around 20 bucks cheaper at my LHS than the mini or the baja? 155, a steal if you ask me.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
PedeBeater

The slider is more for racing, are you going to race?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Wild YFZ 450

the min-t should only be 80...The baja is 150...Go with the baja it has alot of stuff you would upgrade in the future...Also if u ever went brushless it has the servo and its own receiver.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
The Hedgehog

Yeah I was going to say there's no way the mini-t costs more than the slider...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Actually, isn't the Micro-T $80? The Mini-T is $99 if I remember.

Get the Mini Slider. It'll handle power better (instead of popping wheelies too often), and rough terrain as well due to it's longer wheel base. Just slap on some off-road Mini-T tires and you should be set. As said earlier it comes with a standard 3-wire servo (and I think seperate rx?). Takes almost all Mini-T hop-ups. A little heavier but that's to its advantage when off-roading I think.

AND the Slider comes with nice oil shocks standard, while the Mini-T (at least from what I recall) comes with friction pogo stick shocks, and the Losi oil shocks for the Mini-T are hit or miss as far as quality.
My $30 Losi Mini-T oil shocks were half a waste of money. Both rear shocks leaked like crap. In fact, one has a hair line crack running the length.. The LHS wouldn't take it back even after I pointed that out. However, my fronts have not been re-built for almost 2 years....

Mini-Slider! (Though I don't like left turn car races .....)
Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 AM
ohgrfreak

I had a Micro-T that cost me 80 bucks, but I thought the Mini and the Baja were around the same price, I guess I need to double check that. I know for a fact that the Baja is indeed more money (at my local LHS), if it were 150, I'd be grabbing the Baja no question.

I'm not going to do any real racing, although Action Raceways (the next closest LHS) has a dirt oval that race Sliders, I might try it out, sounds like a blast. But it's sounding that the Slider is just going to be built a little better all around, even though I'm not going to race it, I'm also not going to bash it too much either, or at least not near as hard as my Rustler, mostly cement/asphalt with a little rough stuff thrown in for good measure.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
04DarkShadowGT

I have a mini slider, its neat and pretty fast. But I much prefer my duratrax vendetta, its jsut as fast, much more durable, and handles much better.

The Vendetta doesnt have the cool radio system but both are around the same price.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
ohgrfreak

Yes, I checked out the Vendetta, looks like a lot better basher and better off roader, but after my last foray with Duratrax, I decided to opt for something else for my next RC.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
J.D.T

I just got a slider from John at action, went down last thursday to watch them run, they look great going around the track, I hope to get to racing it either this week or next, I had heard he was making sweet deals on them but at $153.65 out the door with tax I couldn't resist, I am a basher but these sliders look so cool and cost so little I will soon be a racer.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
ohgrfreak

No flippin way, I'm there, Hobby Haven are selling them for 155 not including tax. Action is in Indianola right?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
J.D.T

yep right in front of the walmart on highway 69/E 14th street(I am not sure what that street is called in Indianola) He had all three colors when I was there, his number is 515/961/0062 he got 10 in on sept 12th so I am sure he still has some in stock, he was out of the dynamite batteries but was supposed to get some more, if you think you may race maybe a spair pack but for bashing you should be good as I was told 15-20 minutes on the stock pack. He is just running a stock class right now but thursday he said maybe some mods next week, I will leave mine stock at least until the motor goes away hopefully by then the mod class will be going good.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM
ohgrfreak

Hmmm, I've been reading up and it looks like a lot of people have been having problems with the Losi 1/18 R/C's. Motors dying and being replaced and having the same thing happen again, and the main thing is radio interference, I know the Slider has the 2.4ghz system, but at this price, I can't be expecting the best. I need this to be reliable.

My other choice that I just thought of (because my Soldering Iron is coming into my LHS today and I remembered that my LHS stocks them) are the Associated 1/18 scales. I have my eye on the RC18MT especially.

The Slider is still my main choice so far though...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
J.D.T

I got less than half an hour of carpet time on my slider so far but I think alot of the motor problems come from overheating, people try to drive a car with 3/8 inch ground clearance in the grass and its constantly dragging bottom and gets very hot, I originally sold my mini t as it was pretty much pavement and baseball infield only material, I got the slider to race but I see several companies offer kits to put 2.2 tires on them so that may help a little but the lush grass in my yard sucks up my 1/10 4wd buggy so I will not be running my slider in the grass at all, the only problem any of the racers have had down at action is some stripped servo gears from hitting the pipe but at $4 for replacements its not a big deal IMO, mini servos are pretty cheap so I may upgrade once I have a issue depending on situation and cash flow lol. My mini t was a bare kit with no radio as I have a JR XS3 syn FM system so I can't comment on the glitching and interference but none has been noted with the slider and the 2.4 system from what I have heard. Where do you usually bash your rusty?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
ohgrfreak

The rusty gets bashed everywhere, construction sites where me and my father construct massive ramps, skate parks (I frequent 2 main ones, one in Des Moines, the other in Indianola), the track at the LHS, pavement, gravel.

The mini will see halfway smooth dirt and pavement, maybe the dirt oval, if I get the RC18MT, the LHS track for sure. No grass for any of my cars, no matter the scale.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see you are the person from Des Moines, since there are many construction sites in Waukee, and that's where my dad lives, that's where the majority of the bashing is done, that and Waukee's school on the weekend. There's a skatepark on Douglas near 100th/Urbandale Ave that we like a lot. I also when given the chance to be in Indianola, their skatepark by the pool is wicked, that's where I "broke in" a Duratrax Evader, wow, it took some beatings, got some on video too.