Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Evader Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:55 PM
mike_evader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Evader Motor

Hi everybody.

I recently bought an evader, and have alrerady decided to upgrade. I have a Duratrax 16-turn mild-modified ESC. I am looking for the motor with the best combination of speed, torque, and battery life. The car will be used mostly for backyard (basement untill the snow goes) bashing, and the odd race.

Proven setups are welcome!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Gecko

This might work >>>> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVJ0&P=7
Old 03-22-2003, 03:47 PM
mike_evader2

oh yeah.. i forgot. the motor needs to be less than $40
Old 03-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Gecko

Being that your ESC has a 16T limit and you only want to spend $40 this might work for you >>>> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCUP9&P=7
Old 03-23-2003, 03:44 AM
mike_evader2

Hmm.. sounds good..
but...
what about the chameleon 2 pro? at http://www.teamtrinity.com/motors/motorspecs.asp , it shows that the chameleon has 20,187RPM and 89watts of power, compared to the Speed gem, with 18,500RPM, and 72watts.

Also, the chameleon is a 19 turn, compared to a 16 turn. Does that mean that i will have longer battery life?

thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Gecko

That seems like a good motor but, a 17T should be faster 19T. I'm not sure how accurate that chart is though. My D5 8T has 37,071 RPM and the chart only says it is 35,000 RPM.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:14 PM
mike_evader2

ok, thanks... but...

the motor that the evader comes with, a 20 turn, is MUCH slower than the stock (27 turn) PKPK2 (or something like that).

I think the chart is proportionately accurate. I do not think that actual readings would be opposite, just off by a few RPMs.

Anybody else's opinions or setups would be appreciated too!

Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 04:28 AM
LITEGIDE24

Default Mike is the motor it comes w/really that much slower?

Hi Mike, I just bought an Evader BX for my son (although he won't know it until his birthday in 2 weeks)

Is the 20 turn motor that comes with it slow? You'd mentioned the 27 turn PKPK2 beiing Much faster...

If that's the case how much will it cost to upgrade to a motor that will be OK w/the existing sprint ESC that comes w/the evader. I really like the car - it looks super cool! And feels like a quality piece too.

I ordered the B4 for me and was tempted to get another evader buggy to avoid the uncertainties that come with me building the B4 (such as aquiring the correct components, assembly, paint etc...)

I decided to stick w/the B4 order, but really like the Evader for my little guy - if there is a heads up you could give me on the Evader I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-27-2003, 03:14 PM
mike_evader2

Hi.

I am probably not the right person to ask, but in my month with my evader, i have found out as much as possible.

The motor the evader comes with is not great, but is good for learning how to drive. I have heard that any trinity motor you can get will be better than the motor that comes with the evader. This is also reflected in the price. (the evader motor is half the price of most trinity stock motors).

The next motor you get entirely depends upon the price you want to pay. If you just want to spend $30, you could get a stock motor. But, if you want a really fast car, you need to get a new ESC (the duratrax intellispeed 16 turn is a good ESC, for $50. Then you will want a good motor. I am personaly getting the 16 turn P94 by trinity, for $50.

For now, stay with the stinger, it is a good learnig motor. But you will want to upgrade soon.

A little bit of a heads up with the evader. The parts are not very strong. You will most likely break a few in the learning process. Words of advice.. PLAY OUTSIDE!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:43 PM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

p2k2 a great choice, but the PHOTON 20 turn is not a bad motor by any means..... sorry the post is so short but i gotta eat!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:50 AM
mike_evader2

I agree that the photon speed is a very good motor for learning, but it is not very fast, and you will not be able to do great at racing. Also, you will probably have more battery life with stock motors.

Overall, you are probably fine for a while..
Old 03-28-2003, 04:21 PM
kbrent_d

If you are looking for a cheap motor for those 20 turn and up esc's
I've found that the orion pilot 21 turn double (for the price) is a good motor, It is faster than the photon speed that comes with the evader. Top speed it is as fast as a p2k that I have but doesn't have as good acceleration.

Anyway this motor is $13 at stormer hobbies, it is well worth the money for anyone trying to replace the photon speed motor in there evader.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:41 PM
LITEGIDE24

KBrent

do you have the part number or the tower link to the P2K you are using in the Evader BX w/the standard ESC.

I'm gonna place an order for my B4 ESC, I might as well pickup a P2K or P2K2 if you provide a link or a part number it'll make it much clearer for me.

There's the doubles, singles, quads...27T, 20T ...

Is anything 27 T considered stock and under 27T considered a modified - even the 20T evader photon motor considered a modified motor?

That's why it would help to know what P2K you put in your Evade.

Thank you,

Phil
Old 03-29-2003, 02:11 AM
NAPS

I got my Evader BX for christmas 2002. One of the first days out, i smashed it into a piano, and into my friends cars. The motor i agree, isnt that great.

I have been looking to upgrade the motor, almost since i got it. I have been looking into brushless as well, but am wondering about control problems.

If i dont get a brushless, i would like a 13 or so turn, and therefor would need a new ESC. Since i need to keep up with my buddies Nitro Rustler, what ESC and Motor should i get.

Thanks for any help

MIke
Old 03-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Gecko

Any ESC with no or a low turn motor limit would work fine (ie http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAKF6&P=7 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAKF7&P=7 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRE95&P=7 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBJ62&P=7 etc) If you have the stock gearing you might want to try a 10T D5 Single or Double. Also you might want to reduce the pinion teeth to mabye 15T or 16T. That should keep you up if not past the nitro guys.

Gecko
Old 03-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Gecko

BTW that was to NAPS
Old 03-29-2003, 02:28 AM
NAPS

Gecko

Thanks man. But due to the fact that i was new to the RC family, i have been asking my friends and cant really get a strait answer from them. What is the difference with a Single or Double. What does the single do that the double doesnt.

NAPS
Old 03-29-2003, 02:39 AM
Gecko

Yes, it does make a diffrence. A single wind motor is built for torque and power. It has alot of RPM's but a double has more, and a triple has even more etc. From my personal knowledge, most people who race on off-road tracks preffer a single or double wind motor (doubles would be better for a track that has some long straights, and the single is good for those tracks with short chanukes and quick take-offs). I like the D5's because they not only have the very effective P-94 Endbell but it also has the flat wire which for me makes it feel like it accelerates.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:49 AM
NAPS

What about the brushless. I was looking at the Hacker C40 brushless. Would that just have too much power to control?

NAPS
Old 03-29-2003, 02:56 AM
Gecko

It depends on your gearing and slipper settings. But if you want it, go for it. I still like the D5's though.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:57 AM
NAPS

The flatliner. I was looking into that one as well. Im just completely going by what my two friends say, so i dont really know whats what.

NAPS
Old 03-29-2003, 03:00 AM
NAPS

Also, i got i guess some thread lock on the motor shaft going to the gear, and i cant get it off. Any suggestions on how i could get the stuff to loosen up?

NAPS
Old 03-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Gecko

As in not listening to anyone else? Just wondering. I really like the flatliners and best yet, their ROAR legal!!! (At my track that is)
Old 03-29-2003, 03:04 AM
Gecko

LOL, I did the same thing. All I did is use a little force (After loosening the set screw) is take a pair of needle nose pliers and put the tip between the bottom of the pinion and the bottom of the motor can (where that little nipple thing sticks up w/ the bearing/bushing in it) and twist or pull really hard to get it off. Have fun.

Gecko
Old 03-29-2003, 03:12 AM
NAPS

do you think a soldering iron, jammed into the set screw hole would heat it up enough to become soft and easier to pull off. By me prying at it, its starting to bend my gear.

NAPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.