Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

my mamba 5700 took a dive (question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM
gold_coin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my mamba 5700 took a dive (question)

well ive had my mamba 5700 brushless for i dont know not too long it seems, and yesterday i was bashing around with my friend, and the motor seemed to have seized, i took it apart and little tiny metal balls fell out along with some metal rings, im guessing its some sort of bearing, but im not sure, any ideas what it is and how i can fix it? also while i have my motor torn apart is there anything i should lube up or clean or anything? if so with what?
thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
brushlessboy16

Default RE: my mamba 5700 took a dive (question)

send it to castle.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
gold_coin

i just emailed castle, but i have a feeling they will want like a receipt or something........ good thing is i just saw the receipt last week, bad thing is i saw it in the trash hope they dont want that
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 AM
MadDogRC

hmm, if it is just a motor bearing then it shouldnt be too difficult to replace it. just measure the bearings thickness, outter diam and inner diam (in mm prolly) and search it up on the net and buy it!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 AM
gold_coin

well the thing is the "bearing" if thats what it was has basically disinigrated, all there is is a metal ring and little metal balls probably about the size or bigger then a ball point pen ill try to get some pics up
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 AM
gold_coin

sorry for the crappy picture my digital cam broke last week any ways thats all that fell out of the case once i pulled out the shaft im guessing its sume kind of bearing im just dont know......
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
SeanZ0r

Hmm, just try different bearings laying around, or go to a LHS and they should have a vast selection for you to choose from. Also castle doesn't care for receipts if you pay the i think its 50 dollars, correct me if im wrong, for the flatline service fee.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 AM
JFACKY

The parts you have pictured are the ball bearings, retaining ring, ( the thin 3/4 ciricle) and the ball keepers. the inner race should still be on the rotor shaft, and the outer race will still be in the end bell. the raceses will have small grooves on the outside of the inner race and on the inside of the outer race. what you need to measure, is after you remove the races from their respective places, is the depth of the races. the outer diameter of the outer race (the part that touches the end bell), and the imside daimeter of the of the inner race( the part of the race that is touching the rotor).
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
gold_coin

wow jfacky thanks alot, so then what do i need to replace that with? what is the part im looking for? is it a special bearing or is it like the on that on the end of the "cap" of the motor? also i dunno i would rather drop 100 bucks and get a new one rather than 50 bucks to get it worked on thats just me though
Old 10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
PedeBeater

I don't think castle will work on it. Correct me if I am wrong but if you open the motor doesn't that void the warrenty? I would just pay the little money (5 bucks, at most), and get a new bearing. I would also replace the other one. I think there are two bearings.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

I don't think castle will work on it. Correct me if I am wrong but if you open the motor doesn't that void the warrenty? I would just pay the little money (5 bucks, at most), and get a new bearing. I would also replace the other one. I think there are two bearings.
Most diffinetly! if your going to replace a bearing replace both so that one isnt weaker than the other and taking all the stress.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
brushlessboy16

no and thats why you pay them 50 bucks.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
PedeBeater

Wow, we agree! [8D]

That doesn't happen to often.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
gold_coin

guess i shouldnt have opened it hahah my curiosity got the best of me, so it is just a standard bearing? that i can pick up at the LHS? im still a littel confused at what i need to measure? the two bearings wouldnt be the same size would they ?thanks guys
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
PedeBeater

I would think they are the same size. And if you don't want to go through the trouble, just bring it to your lhs and they SHOULD have the right size. And if not I am sure they will order it for you.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

I would think they are the same size. And if you don't want to go through the trouble, just bring it to your lhs and they SHOULD have the right size. And if not I am sure they will order it for you.
You might want to look at ceramic bearings to. They have more free spin so theres less friction therefore keeping your motor cooler when operating.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 PM
gold_coin

ok well i think sat i may have time to swing buy and embarse myself at the LHS, still no response from castle, i did however find a new 5700 motor only for 70 dollars, the problem is talking the wifei into the purchase.....i think the bearings are a better bet i need to find some bearings tha will fit or else this is going to end up costing me some new jewelery hahaha
Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
dan02gt

You just need to replace the bearings. Boca Bearings is a good source for ceramic or steel, and you need OD 11mm ID 5mm and width 5mm. I put Boca ceramic bearings in mine about six months ago should be about $20.00 shipped.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM
brttnhill

COOL thanks i actually broke down and ordered a new 5700 from b-p-p.com they have some really good prices on motors, and combos with the ecs. i got the motor for 70 bucks, i am going to check out getting some bearings though and fixing the broke motor and maybe have a little rc project to dink around with, any ideas what i could drop a mamba 5700 into? or an idea to turn my rustler into a 4WD twin brushless ???? that would be great fun
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 PM
gold_coin

wow so that was weird i posted that at work, on my friends computer that used to work with me, well i got his old computer and well that kind of confused me i saw that he was the last one to post and i thought he was going to be making fun of me any ways i did buy a new 5700 and am still trying to figure out if i should buy a rolling chasis for a tmaxx or emaxx isnt one of those a dual motor 4wd??