Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
My Name Is Brad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

well last night was a blast. The first practice a brushless XXX rammed my blackfoot at full speed and ripped the whole back tire off! No worries though, I used a replacement some guy had there. Just a rear axle. Ordering new parts today.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 AM
hotshot32

whats the deal with the pinions for the blackfoot? i noticed the 18 tooth pinion that came with the extreme is way smaller than the 15 tooth i have. what pitch and specs are they? and can u put anything other than a 18 or 20 tooth in the extreme? whats the best setup?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:17 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: My Name Is Brad

The track by me is starting an electric monster truck class. There will be a few blackfoots there, stampedes, a wheely king and antother emaxx hopefully when the racing gets started in the near future.
Lucky.[&o] I always had to race with nitro trucks in my hometown. Revo's etc..[:-]
Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 AM
bighound

can you guys point me in the right direction? im looking to rebuild the rear of a super blackfoot. i pretty much want to replace the entire transmission. do i need to know any model numbers? where should i check out? thx
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
My Name Is Brad

check out tamiya america site. You can get the full parts listing,item #, and exploded views.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: bighound

can you guys point me in the right direction? im looking to rebuild the rear of a super blackfoot. i pretty much want to replace the entire transmission. do i need to know any model numbers? where should i check out? thx
hi i have a super blackfoot to, for parts, you can look up the rear parts for a king blackfoot, same rear end different front
Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Krazy Chicken

up date for me, i got the speed controll, it a duratrax intella speed with reverse, 16t, love it, still pulls wheelies with full on tracktion controll
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
ElectricGuy007

16T Super Blackfoot Eh? Not bad...hows the tranny holding up to that power?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Krazy Chicken

i dont have a 16t motor, the esc limit is 16t. but the tranny is holding up to the power of the unknown motor perfectly fine
Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
jwrAMC

A lengthy bit of personal history...just because:

My first race with my then-fairly-new original Blackfoot was accidental...and about 20 years ago. I bought the truck for fun, but one day was at a local hobby shop looking for more hop-up parts. Other than my steering blocks, the truck was fairly stock. As I was waiting to be helped, I spotted a flyer for a local club that had a dirt track. I asked when and where those folks met. I was told 'right now, across the street'. How cool is that? I went over to find about 40 cars in a lot parked around a huge dirt oval with a baja-inspired infield track. As I arrived, my battery was nearly spent, so when a club officer asked if I wanted to enter a race, I figured 'no way'. Well, a dad who was there with his 9 year old son offered to loan me a charged battery and to charge my current one in the meantime. Cool! So I handed my truck to the track monkeys and as luck would have it, that 9 year old's all-stock blackfoot was lined up right next to mine in the second row of a 4-wide, 3-row heat. ON the start, we charged into the frst turn where the kid's front left tire bumped my right front. This is how I confirmed that the stock knuckle is truly weak, as his wheel went flying and my reinforced BF kept going (that's how fast you can wear out your welcome!! Oops!). Now, most of the drivers were teens, but a few were adults like myself (25 at the time). But it seemed I had spent far more time actually driving my truck, as I was quickly picking off one modified truck after the other with my stock motor, pinion, dog bones and tires. It was a 4-lap race, and just after the half-way point, I was in second place. As we headed into the infield I was on the leader's butt. We evened up as we bounced thru the washboard and as we turned left into a hairpin U-turn, I stole the inside line. Seemed he couldn't get his wheels turned as far left as I could, so he had to take it wider. I kid you not when I tell you I had less than 1 inch of clearance between he and I on one side and the curb and I on the other. The pass ocurred so smoothly, that applause and shouts of approval rang out all around the track. This made me way more nervous, as I feared Murphy's law would kick in and send me flipping over an embankment. But my familiarity with the truck's handling really paid off as I held it on course and won the heat with about a 25-foot lead. Total strangers were slapping my back and shaking my hand. It was quite a rush. Several folks said they couldn't believe how well my truck handled and they wanted to see the mods...then were shocked to find only the new knuckles. I was invited to continue into the semi-final heat, and went to retrieve my own battery. The reception there was a bit cooler as I'd ruined the kid's day, so I made the swap, thanked the dad and skulked away quietly. By the time the semis were to start, tho, rain came in and everyone was pulling their cars off the track. Being the 'me' I've always been, I figured the races wouldn't get started so I'd waste my battery charging the mud and puddles (I had balloons on the motors and stock speed control, so no fear there). This torture was also met with big laughs and clapping as I rooster-tailed the puddles and covered my rig with mud.

Months later, my second-best meet was where a few buddies and I had entered. My BF, a monster beetle, and a few buggies were our gear. My most hot-headed bud got T-boned by a teen with a truck wearing a 69 Chevelle body that had way too much power for the small, indoor, carpeted track. He was just bashing into everyone, winning his heats by attrition. Well, I won my two prior heats, and was with this kid and four others in the final. I'd built a full lap lead on the field and had just lapped Chevelle-guy when my bud gave me the 'cut his throat' hand signal from across the track, so I got to the end of the straight and intentionally spun out. As the Chevelle bore down to pass me, I floored it in the wrong direction. My BF rode over his bumper and drove through his rig, under the body. I came out the other end with a splash of his electronics raining down around me. I pulled a quick U-turn, hit his front/left wheel to move the carcass out of my way and completed my last lap to the cheers of a bunch of folks that had been retired by that joker the same way earlier. But, since it was clear I hadn't done it 'accidentally', I was invited to compete elsewhere in the future. Even now, tho, I think it was worth it.

Anywho, after 18 years away from the hobby, I've dug that same Blackfoot out, hosed off the mud and started a rebuild. I bought a 2nd original BF off eBay to become a shelf-queen, and have a brand-new Xtreme coming as well. We're back...but don't let the grey hairs and expanding gut fool ya. 'Blackie' and I have not mellowed with age.[>:]
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Krazy Chicken

great storys, be sure to post pics of the rebuild
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
jwrAMC

OH no....you mean I have to show the mess I'm starting with???? ARRGH!!

The last time I touched it, I was trying to convert it down to a pseudo-Frog so I could put a muscle car body on it and run street-car tires, yet still be far tougher than all the road-racer cars. That conversion never was completed so my current starting point is a half-converted, half-disassembled disaster....quite embarassing!

...but, I'll do what I can. Gotta get a copy of the original instructions to keep me on track before I start! Anybody know of a PDF copy I can download or something similarly 'instantly-gratifying'??
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Krazy Chicken

you can get a online copy from tamiya club
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
ElectricGuy007

I had the original Blackfoot also:
True Story I was 8 years old when I got the Blackfoot in 1988.
I gave it away to my uncle Roger in 1989 and he took it racing and didnt even tell me.
He placed in the top 3 with it modified in the truck class. At the dirt dome on 2nd street(closed 15 years ago)
He also raced other older buggies back then, like 1100Mah packs were used back then, and those were th 70 dollar race packs in 80's money.
They also had a Box Stock 540 class and you could put bearings an esc and any radio you wanted to in them but that was all.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Frozen72

I'm thinking about getting one of these so I can have a car like my friends Pede. Is it really stronger then a Pede? Post some REAL bashing videos to prove it!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Krazy Chicken

what like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMbXI...eature=related
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
jwrAMC

Thanks, SK. I'm golden now!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Krazy Chicken

not a problem, thats the siight i used to get my super blackfoot running
Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
jwrAMC

OK, so my 'new to me' second 'Original Blackfoot' arrived fromm the eBay seller today. I'm too busy doing a whole-house cleanup to stop and play with it right now, but here's a photo of it. Aside from a better motor and ESC, it is all stock, and barely used at all. I couldn't leave the yellow wheels on it, so I moved my new Traxxas wheels and Dirt Hawg tires on it. This baby will be returned to all-stock (except the wheels/tires) and put on a shelf to look pretty. I'll be detailing the grille, but little more than that.

My first one, bought new in 1987, will be returned to 'basher' status, with a lexan body...probably the old Jeep J20 Honcho one I have (which I'd love to strip and repaint). It will get ALL the mod parts I've got on hand (and maybe a few more).

Side note: My new Xtreme BF arrives tomorrow (woohoo!). Can't wait to get started on the project!

Oh, and I just won a 'like-new' shelf-queen Tamiya Ford Cobra TL01 on eBay. It will get a new 2000 Dodge Stratus body to mimic my 1:1 daily-driver.

I'm also hunting down a Tamiya Stadium Truck to run my as-yet-unpainted Jeep Comanche body from Andy's on.

Yeesh, when I decide to dive in, it's at the deep end, eh!?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
My Name Is Brad

make sure to take pics of the blackfoot xtreme build...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
jwrAMC

Anything specific? Here's what I've ordered up so far:

The new truck, new radio gear, new batteries, full bearings, lots of alloy pieces like the arms, uprights, shock mounts and 110mm shocks.

I plan to do all I can to make it fully waterproof so that charging into puddles, on the verge of floating or sinking, won't create control glitches or tranny troubles.

I also have a lighting kit coming for the kit's hard body (display only) while a lexan body (not yet chosen) will be on when out playing.

Got ideas I might be interested in trying out? Something you've considered but haven't yet tried, even? LMK.[8D]
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Krazy Chicken

i updated the look of my super blackfoot, same body new sickers. jwrAMC your blackfoot looks great

Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
jwrAMC

Thanks..it better! My battered original was $100 brand new 21 years ago. The one I received today is just as old and cost me $160....which with inflation, the added mods, etc, isn't as bad as it might seem at first, eh? It is in very nice shape.

Check my 'models' on this site to see the other one. Much rougher but much loved.

You still bashing the original hard body, or do you run a lexan instead?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Krazy Chicken

i run the original hard body, im only 15 with no job, so cant get one yet. but your trucks look good , mine actually has a lot more scratches because it wheelies alot, i also acsidently ran into the house, left a big scratch. my front grill is held on whth zip ties, and i have no tailgate, or rear bumper
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
jwrAMC

No job, but you have five cars??? Have you been misallocating your lunch money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.