Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Redcat or Himoto ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
RCJesse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat or Himoto ???

I've been wanting to buy a 4WD buggy, ever since I bought an HBX on Ebay, I got hooked by them, but it was slow and a little weak and parts hard to get at hobby shops. I got an E-maxx and a Rustler but 4WD buggies are different in handling and looks. I was searching around and seems like these two brands are very similar, Redcat makes the Tornado and Himoto makes the ZMOTOZ 3, but don't know much about them. Is one of them a knock-off or are they just different models? The price is just about the same, so what should I be looking for? Which one would last longer, faster, more reliable? Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Phelansa

Default RE: Redcat or Himoto ???

I have been looking around myself and as far as I can tell they are identical. This is my opinion thoug, not holding it as a fact!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
infernos777

They're both knockoffs. If you want something that will last, get a higher quality 4wd from Associated (the B44), Kyosho (ZX-5) or Losi. The Himoto and Red Cat junk will fall apart on you and you'll probably wish you hadn't bothered.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: infernos777

They're both knockoffs. If you want something that will last, get a higher quality 4wd from Associated (the B44), Kyosho (ZX-5) or Losi. The Himoto and Red Cat junk will fall apart on you and you'll probably wish you hadn't bothered.
And you base this opinion on what exactly? Have you ever seen either of these vehicles up close? Or are you simply regurgitating what you have heard others say? Frankly, statements like yours contribute nothing to this forum. If you come with a fact or two, that might be a different matter.

While we are on the subject, have you bothered to read the forum rules regarding general statements like you just made?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:09 PM
pede_187

I would get redcat. They have a MUCH better parts support and they have an engine replacement program that's great (50% off).
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

redcat has a cult like status on RCU, and seems to have some busines ties as well so we probably arent allowed to say anything negative about them. As far as I can see the redcat cars ARE himotos, except with SH engines, which are better. Redcat also has pretty decent parts support. Theyre not at all a bad brand, I have a couple and like them. But theyre not Losi or Associated either. Have to be careful on RCU though, redcat is a touchy subject with some people :/
Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 AM
infernos777

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

And you base this opinion on what exactly? Have you ever seen either of these vehicles up close? Or are you simply regurgitating what you have heard others say? Frankly, statements like yours contribute nothing to this forum. If you come with a fact or two, that might be a different matter.

While we are on the subject, have you bothered to read the forum rules regarding general statements like you just made?
LOL I base this opinion on my eyes. Yes ive seen these cars in person. and yes they're rip off junk. they contribute nothing to the hobby and are a waste of money, in my opinion. I don't need to regurgitate anything when ive seen it in person.

I have read the forum rules and I didn't see anything about not allowing opinions. I'm not aiming this at anyone particular except at the poor people who may consider spending their money on a rip off junk car.

the fact is that both of these cars are cheap imitations of the real things. is that fact enough?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 AM
kuppler

LOL I base this opinion on my eyes. Yes ive seen these cars in person. and yes they're rip off junk. they contribute nothing to the hobby and are a waste of money, in my opinion. I don't need to regurgitate anything when ive seen it in person.

I have read the forum rules and I didn't see anything about not allowing opinions. I'm not aiming this at anyone particular except at the poor people who may consider spending their money on a rip off junk car.

the fact is that both of these cars are cheap imitations of the real things. is that fact enough?
Well i have a REDCAT VOLCANO SV.. and i love it..... RCU ias a big fan base of REDCAT as well.. and i think they can stand up to allot of other RC that are in there class....
i think everyone has there opinion....and u stated yours. but i think for the $$$ of a redcat... its a killer deal.. i would Rather spend $200 on a RC then $400-$500 and it would last just the same... but this is my opinion... but i would get the REDCAT........... heheh .....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Phelansa

1. Still only your opinion, very sweeping statements.....very low on facts...Unless off course you would want the rest of the world to base our purchases on your opinion?? Just a tiny bit presumptuous don't you think? You must believe yourself to be some incredibly gifted Engineer??
2. They contribute by bringing new people in to the hobby. People who cannot/are not willing to spend $500 on an RC toy. These people normally end up owning more than one car and usually from much more recognized names. Just read this forum and you will find hundreds of examples.
3. Imitations of what exactly? Of RC vehicles? Well if that is the case they do an admirable job of it!
4. Wasting money? When they can buy 4 or 5 of these for the price of one high end car? This before they have even established that they will stay in the hobby, and not just end up with an expensive toy that spends it life in some dark corner? No Sir, wasting money would be to have that expensive high end car lying there gathering dust.
5. I suggest you re-read those forum rules about sweeping statements when you cannot back it up with actual experience.

If I may presume to offer you some advice. If you do not want one of these cars, then for heavens sake do not buy one. It really is as simple as that. I for one will champion "cheaper" cars for beginners as long as they are available!! Or can you honestly tell me that you believe the best car for a first time owner/buyer is a $500 car that he can neither drive to its potential, maintain properly, or just plain destroy in his/hers ignorance?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 AM
kuppler

1. Still only your opinion, very sweeping statements.....very low on facts...Unless off course you would want the rest of the world to base our purchases on your opinion?? Just a tiny bit presumptuous don't you think? You must believe yourself to be some incredibly gifted Engineer??
2. They contribute by bringing new people in to the hobby. People who cannot/are not willing to spend $500 on an RC toy. These people normally end up owning more than one car and usually from much more recognized names. Just read this forum and you will find hundreds of examples.
3. Imitations of what exactly? Of RC vehicles? Well if that is the case they do an admirable job of it!
4. Wasting money? When they can buy 4 or 5 of these for the price of one high end car? This before they have even established that they will stay in the hobby, and not just end up with an expensive toy that spends it life in some dark corner? No Sir, wasting money would be to have that expensive high end car lying there gathering dust.
5. I suggest you re-read those forum rules about sweeping statements when you cannot back it up with actual experience.

If I may presume to offer you some advice. If you do not want one of these cars, then for heavens sake do not buy one. It really is as simple as that. I for one will champion "cheaper" cars for beginners as long as they are available!! Or can you honestly tell me that you believe the best car for a first time owner/buyer is a $500 car that he can neither drive to its potential, maintain properly, or just plain destroy in his/hers ignorance?

Phelansa you said that very well........ i got the REDCAT cuz it was my 1st nitro and i was learning. and for the price well heck you cant beat it for a 1st time nitro driver....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 AM
sheograth

Phelansa, relax.

There are tons of "opinions" on this forum, and we're all entitled to them. Without opinions and discussion we wouldnt have an RC community. Some people have more experience than others, and yes some opinions have more factual basis than others. But you are not required to be an RC Guru to express your opinion.

I have had a few Redcat vehicles, and enjoyed them all but feel that their quality isnt up to snuff with many other manufacturers that I've worked with.

Yes, its an opinion, but It's based on my experience - and thats all any of us have to say about our opinion.

Like I said before, I dont know what it is about redcat, but it seems to bring out most powerful emotions in people :/
Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 AM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Phelansa, relax.

There are tons of "opinions" on this forum, and we're all entitled to them. Without opinions and discussion we wouldnt have an RC community. Some people have more experience than others, and yes some opinions have more factual basis than others. But you are not required to be an RC Guru to express your opinion.

I have had a few Redcat vehicles, and enjoyed them all but feel that their quality isnt up to snuff with many other manufacturers that I've worked with.

Yes, its an opinion, but It's based on my experience - and thats all any of us have to say about our opinion.

Like I said before, I dont know what it is about redcat, but it seems to bring out most powerful emotions in people :/

You are right, I do get very passionate about this subject. And I would never dispute with somebody expressing an opinion provided that that person does not try to hold his opinion as fact.

I do not for one second dispute that there are better engineered vehicles. Lots of them in fact.... All I say is that there is a definite market for the "cheaper" RC's. And that to knock them just because they are not Losi, AE or such is an mistake. Especially if the person doing the detracting has never owned one before and has nothing to base his detractions on.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:08 AM
sheograth

Thats true as well, a lot of people do regurgitate stuff because other forum members have said it, and have little or no experience of their own.

And yeah, for their price, the Redcat cars and trucks are excellent. I got one of those $99 nitro buggies when they first came out, and for $99 its great.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 AM
pede_187

People told me it's "Cheap Chinese Crap", and some people said they are good cars. I wanted to see what they are really like so I bought myself one. They're very decent, especially for the money.

If you're getting a nitro, definitely get redcat, they have an engine replacement program.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
infernos777

I for one will champion "cheaper" cars for beginners as long as they are available!! Or can you honestly tell me that you believe the best car for a first time owner/buyer is a $500 car that he can neither drive to its potential, maintain properly, or just plain destroy in his/hers ignorance?

No, I believe the "best car" for a beginner would be a quality, affordable car like one from Traxxas, or associated or losi or tamiya. There are tons of RTRs out there under $300 that are hobby quality and affordable AND that won't break the first time out. plus the redcat cars are complete rip offs, just look at them. dont you think that costs money to the real manufacturer? i guess this is way over your head.

if you want to "champion" cars for beginners, get some nice cars that are actually designed by the company making them into a beginners hands that won't fall apart right away. and yes those statements are from in person, real experience and not "sweeping" statmeents that i just pulled out of thin air.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 PM
nikg

I got an e-savage used for $220. Came with four batteries, stock charger, stock radio system, two bodies. Since getting it I have bought many parts that I thought I might need, but so far all that has broken is a few driveshafts which I upgraded to Traxxas ones. I have since gotten better batteries and a better charger too. I have beaten the thing pretty hard and am satisfied completely with my purchase.

I just got an HBX Bonzer for my son for Christmas for $85, came with one battery, truck, radio system. It broke within ten minutes. I epoxied it back together, and it broke again. I reinforced the epoxy with fiberglas this time, and everything seems alright for now. Surprisingly it is almost as fast as my e-savage although it does not have nearly as much torque.

I submit these two profiles for a reason. First, they are the only RC's we own, so it is all I have first hand experience with. From what I've heard, the Bonzers are way more durable than mine. Perhaps it was defective from the start, but it did break rather easily. I was considering buying one myself, but then decided on the e-savage instead because I wanted my first RC to be of real quality. If I had chosen the Bonzer and it broke like my son's did, i would have been turned off to the hobby. Maybe I would have stuck with it, but at the time I did not want to invest a lot of money. I would have had to get parts, buy something else or just give up.

The cheap models are good for bringing people to the hobby, but sometimes they may wind up frustrated and disappointed with them. Sometimes you luck out and get a great cheapo, and other times you don't. Overall they are better than toy grade but not quite true hobby grade, and the price reflects that. This hobby is like anything else, the more you spend the more you get. I am a huge fan of used gear and will continue to be so. I have gotten great deals on my truck, batteries and a charger that were all used.

My advice for people just getting in to the hobby?
1. Buying cheap may be great or it may be a dud. Be aware of what you are getting into.
2. Buying new brand name means investing money. Be prepared to sink $300-500 on something, and be prepared to take a giant loss if you decide to sell it because you don't like the hobby.
3. (My favorite) Buying used brand name is a great mid-point between option 1 and 2. Check eBay, Craigslist and RC forums for people who are upgrading or are one of the people from scenario #2 who bought quality and aren't into the hobby like they thought they would be. For $150-$300 you can get great quality used vehicles with extras. Just do your research and make sure you can trust the seller.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM
infernos777

ORIGINAL: nikg

I just got an HBX Bonzer for my son for Christmas for $85, came with one battery, truck, radio system. It broke within ten minutes. I epoxied it back together, and it broke again.

Perhaps it was defective from the start, but it did break rather easily. I was considering buying one myself, but then decided on the e-savage instead because I wanted my first RC to be of real quality. Maybe I would have stuck with it, but at the time I did not want to invest a lot of money. I would have had to get parts, buy something else or just give up.

The cheap models are good for bringing people to the hobby, but sometimes they may wind up frustrated and disappointed with them. Sometimes you luck out and get a great cheapo, and other times you don't. O
Exactly. Thank you im not crazy in spite of what some peeps think here, which is cool. it sucks seeing someone buy a cheapo rip off car thinking they're getting a "deal" only to have it break and possibly make them QUIT the hobby.

im over it now though, good luck w/the imitation rip offs guys. i for one will never ever recommend one to anyone because i want people to get in and stay in.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
The Hedgehog

I would look at the Tamiya Dark Impact. For not much more you get to build your own car and it has strong parts, and you know it is quality. If that doesn't suit fyour fancy then I am sure any of those models you listed will work.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Anomie

There is also a very informative and helpful [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_427/tt.htm]Redcat Racing Support Forum[/link], if you wish to head in that direction.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
pede_187

To be completely honest, I wouldn't get a redcat or himoto for your first car. They are good cars but when you break a part you will need to order it online. As a noob (no offense), your not going to now what each part is so you won't know what to order 100% of the time.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Phelansa

One think nikg left out was to tell you that his 3 year old son was driving the HBX.

I have a Stampede and a Rustler that will do testament to what a 4 year old can do to what everybody else here seems to think is a strong car.

She now has 3 cheap cars that costs less than it would to repair either the two Traxxas cars and all of them still going strong.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
willashcroft

infernos777 is so up his own arse with big brand buggy and truggy companies its unreal.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
ziiaad

i'd get a redcat, or get a sportwerks chaos, they're a 1/16 nitro buggy and they're only $100 at amain hobbies
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
04DarkShadowGT

I bought a Redcat Shockwave back when they were $99 and it was a nice car for the money, I mean a rtr nitro buggy for $100. However I had to buy the upgraded front and rear shock towers at $40 because the stock ones would literally bend in your hand. They would have been stronger if they were plastic. They defiantly cut corners and you get what you pay for.

If you have the $$ buy a better car, if you dont get a redcat and possibly deal with some quality downfalls. No big deal.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Paradoxmaker

IDK much about either brand but i've seen a couple of guys bashing at the local track with some Redcat buggies and BOTH were down and out within 15 min....In that 15 min i saw 3 rims shattered, a rear hub broken on both buggies, broken rear arm on 1 and both upper turnbuckles broken on the other...It wasn't even cold enough to blame that for the broken plastic, it was about 75°.

Neither guy even made a full lap of the track from what i saw and neither one was hitting a lot of stuff, they were on their lids more than anything.

Me personally, thats more than enough to make me stay far away from them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.