Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I plunged and ordered a $100 1:10 Brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
padams10001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I plunged and ordered a $100 1:10 Brushless system

Has anyone tried out the new hobbywing 120A ESC & 4000Kv motor?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy it (with program card) for $127AUD or spend the extra $70 or so and get a sidewinder or VXL combo.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
snellemin

I would get it, as the same ESC is being used by other companies and being sold for more money.
The VXL setup is decent, but too much money for a 3s limitation. Side winder are programmable if you purchase the castle link, but if you do, then it's just cheaper to get the mamba max.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Yvanovic

Dear Michael, dear Modellfun.

Peoples here do not know, but its me that gave you the information about this thread August 1st in an email I sent you about my problems with your ESC - because I found this thread trying to understand my problems. You never replied to me, but I realize now starting August 1st you posted in this forum trying to mitigate the problems with your products.

I sent you another email telling about the stuttering problemes with your ESC, and that I *LOST* money and time with your product whereas you promized it would work with my Mad Truck & 7.2V NiMh 4200 MAh. I forwarded you to a video to explain the problem. I asked about the opportunity to get the *newer* and better version of the ESC at a reasonable cost. I did not asked for an exchange, but to *pay* a reasonable price to get the new product that was solving problems in the older that you sold me.

You never answered me - its over one month now.

In top of that, you are writing in this forum "... We have exchanged the ESCs if there were any problems, without exception". What !!!!!

Why did you never replied to my emails?

I will forget about this bad idea to purchase your product, and I wish you the success you deserve.

Yvan.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Yvanovic

Hi there,

I received from Modellfun the *new* ESC and programing card, as a replacement to the non working first generation ESC I purchased this winter. I had to pay to receive the new ESC, but I was not asked to return the non working ESC.

I promised to Modellfun to reply to this thread if the new ESC was working well, and so it is. So there is my positive reply

The new ESC works fine without stuttering at low speed, with my NiMH 4200 mah batteries from Tynergy. The ESC is much smaller, and easier to install into my Mad Truck. I use the brushless motor from the original kit, and it is much faster that origianl 540 motor. The new kit has a new sealed motor 4000 KV.... hmmmm.... I should have wait for the second generation !!!!

I think the new ESC, programming card and brushless motor kit from Modellfun deserves your attention.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 AM
peskelton

Hey guys, I have the older purple can with the heatsinks built in. I'm trying to run it on a Losi XXX with a 7.4v 20C Lipo and a Mamba Max speedo. It's the only 540 size brushless I've owned so I don't know what to expect. But it's slow. I mean, really slow. Do I need to run it with 11v to make it racing fast? From what I've been told, 7.4 is what they race with on the super fast motors so I'm confused. Any help?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Access

Do you know the motor KV? If it's close to stock which is around 2000-3000KV you gear them very high. The stock racing setup I have is running 32/69 and some people are running theirs even higher like 35/69 or so. With the newer stock rules (17.5 motors) it's going to move up even more. As long as the motor or ESC isn't overheating, you can keep moving the gearing up; if it's a well-designed brushless you aren't going to damage the motor by doing this (unlike brushed).
Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had to pay to receive the new ESC
if it was a replacement, why did you have to pay?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
peskelton

Thanks Access,

I have no idea on the KV for this motor. It's unmarked and I got it with the ESC off ebay. I've since sold the ESC and am now trying to get the motor working with my Mamba Max. I would assume that it's the 3000kv but that's just a guess.

Does anyone know the best settings for the Mamba Max with this motor as far as timing and whatnot?

Also, if I gear way up like 30/78 in a Losi XXX, will that draw a ton of amps and kill my Mamba Max or battery? I'll be using a 7.4 20C lipo...

Thanks guys!

Paul
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Stang444

Hows it been holding up??? Looks like a good choice for my losi e-xxx-nt
Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
peskelton

I got it figured out.

1. I was undergeared. So, I went with a 30t pinion and 70ish t spur.
2. My batteries were crap. So, I bought a Hypersonic a123 6.6v 4600mah pack.

I split the pack into two 2300 6.6v packs. I can't even begin to explain the difference. It's just ridiculous. I have never had an off road vehicle go this fast. It will even do rolling wheelies. Run times are about 8 mins full speed on the street.

If anyone has another one of these purple modelfun motors and wants to get rid of it, I want it!

Paul