Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Wheely King Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Wheely King Thread

The idea of making this thread popped into my head after doing alot of research on the wheely king. All stuff about the wheely king goes here such as tips, pics, comments, upgrades, reccomendations...

Heres what I might get...
1. Wheely King 4x4 assembled
2. Mamba Max 5700 or Xcelorin 6400
3. Flightpower 2s 5000mah 25c lipo

Im also open to reccomendations on upgrades so that my upcoming king will be able to handle the power that a brushless/lipo combo delivers. I know its just plain stupid to put this much power into a wheely king but if you dont already know I ussually go overboard with things.[8D]

And finally here are a few pics...

Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM
pede_187

Default RE: Official Wheely King Thread

You're going to want to extend the chassis with how fast you're going to be going.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Takedown

I really dont want to extend it. It doesnt matter how out of control its going to be to me. I just want somthing fast, fun and that is 4wd for under $150 and the wheely king caught my eye.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I have a WK, and it's lots of fun. It's now a crawler, but it might be interesting to see how long you can ride a wheelie.

I still have a brand new 2wd one and my record is about 50 feet.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: guver

I have a WK, and it's lots of fun. It's now a crawler, but it might be interesting to see how long you can ride a wheelie.

I still have a brand new 2wd one and my record is about 50 feet.
Is it stable while holding wheelies?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
CKBOYS

I saw someting in here about flipping the axles. what does that mean and does anybody have before and after pics. i am planning on stretching my sons wk within the next month or so and build a split 8 cell battery pack. 4AA on one side and 4 on the other side. i am new to this but i have a friend that has done his and that thing is sweet. my son fell in love with it so i got him one for christmas and now he wants it to become a crawler. i plan on building a custom one from parts off a wk just to tick off the wifr but i will need all the help i can get to find out what spec are best. also i thought about making my sons have 4-link instead of 3 link what is better i have seen both
Old 12-28-2007, 09:00 PM
s7jstep1

i know you dont want to make it a crawler but there is a lot uf usefull info in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6003634/tm.htm]here[/link]
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
hemiblas

Hey takedown. I just got one of those trucks. I put my old ss5800 novak system in it and its way to fast. You cant really make it go past 20mph without it being very unstable. I going to gear it way down for torque and see how it goes. The tires grip like mad and the motor, battery radio, speed control are all on the top of the truck. It has a very high center of gravity and if you take a turn to fast it goes up on two wheels. After playing with it for 15 minutes I think I am going to turn it into a rock crawler. I dont think its going to do what you want.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: hemiblas

Hey takedown. I just got one of those trucks. I put my old ss5800 novak system in it and its way to fast. You cant really make it go past 20mph without it being very unstable. I going to gear it way down for torque and see how it goes. The tires grip like mad and the motor, battery radio, speed control are all on the top of the truck. It has a very high center of gravity and if you take a turn to fast it goes up on two wheels. After playing with it for 15 minutes I think I am going to turn it into a rock crawler. I dont think its going to do what you want.
Thanks for you input. IDK I might just buy me another brushless system.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
hemiblas

Oh ya when I said it was up on 2 wheels, I meant the two wheels on one side of the truck. I've never been able to do that on an RC before. Getting it going straight and fast is easy with the wheelie bar, but its the turning that scares me. You have to slow down a bunch before even thinking about turning or it just tips over.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:47 AM
s7jstep1

yeah with my orion 15x2 in it, it was very unstable. do a search on youtube for "mamba king" there is a guy who put a mm5700 i believe in a wk
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 AM
pede_187

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=HWGlbU4XfXg]Mamba King[/link]
[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=JnD_x18r1wk&feature=related]Mamba King 2[/link]

This is why I asked if you were going to extend it to make it more stable.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Takedown

Looks very fun!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM
hemiblas

Thats a good video pede_kid. Thats exactly what happened to me. Every time you make a turn it flips over. This guy was able to flip it over and land back on the tires a bunch of times though. He gets it up on 2 wheels a lot too. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, it just wasnt meant to go very fast. Suspension has good travel too and it flexes like crazy. I tried removing the rear lower plate to get even more flex out of the rear and its just undriveable past 10mph with that mod. It wasnt till I drove it that I decided to make a crawler out of it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Takedown

It wasnt till I drove it that I decided to make a crawler out of it.
That makes me nervous. IDK, I might not even get the wheely king now that I heard its not fun to drive with a brushless system. I might just spend the money that I was planning to save for the wheely king on a nice brushless system. Possibly another MM or somthing.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:30 PM
s7jstep1

well, if speed is not your main goal, its a very fun truck. my friend has one with a co27 in it and it has a pretty respectable speed but is still controlable.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

if someone has a awd wheelie king can u take a vid i wanna c someone do a wheeie on the front wheels by going reverse so the front would be on the ground and the rear would be in the air, it would be awesome!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:39 PM
hemiblas

I agree. Its a blast to drive. Its pretty light weight for a 4x4 and only takes a single battery. It can do things the heavier trucks cant plus it can go places where the 2 wheel drives cant.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: hockey911

if someone has a awd wheelie king can u take a vid i wanna c someone do a wheeie on the front wheels by going reverse so the front would be on the ground and the rear would be in the air, it would be awesome!
the esc has that reverse limiter thing(idr what its called) that makes it so where you cant go in reverse unless the truck is completely stopped. i had a different esc in mine and i was able to do it but stock, you cant
Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
hands without shadows

If you don't want to stretch it at least flip the chassis, it will move the battery to the front which makes the truck much more stable and all you need is some 4-40 all thread. See if you can find another rear swaybar too, you can put it on the front and have less torque twist. The body roll will still be there but the torque twist will be less.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Sunny_B

Flipping the chassis seems like a good idea and a quick method to the put weight to the front. One teeny problem arises. This swap puts the steering linkage on the wrong side of the chassis. Now a major reconstruct of the steering linkage is called for. I left mine as it was for a short trial period so I could try the truck as a crawler and get some satisfaction playing with it. I will then look at swapping the chassis or moving the motor, etc. lower. I am beginning to think I may be room temperature before Stage 2 is published as to how to make this a better crawler. I like it so far though.
Sunny_B
Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
hands without shadows

I can't remember what I did for the steering linkage when I flipped my chassis but I remember it wasn't a big deal. I think all I did is extend the steering link with 4-40 all thread and flip the little L link.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I can't remember what I did for the steering linkage when I flipped my chassis but I remember it wasn't a big deal. I think all I did is extend the steering link with 4-40 all thread and flip the little L link.
thats all you have to do. i just need the allthread for mine
Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
hemiblas

I finally got my new spur gear and ran it again with my ss5800. I got the largest spur gear they make and kept the stock pinion. Its still way to fast for this truck. It flipped over 15 times on a 5 minute run. I got a lot of good exercise though. My advice is if you get it keep the stock motor and dont make it fast. My next step is to remove the sway bar and put the smallest pinion I can find. Locking the diffs. Looks like its going to be a rock Crawler. I will probably do the chassis extention mod too.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
s7jstep1

I finally got my new spur gear and ran it again with my ss5800. I got the largest spur gear they make and kept the stock pinion. Its still way to fast for this truck. It flipped over 15 times on a 5 minute run. I got a lot of good exercise though. My advice is if you get it keep the stock motor and dont make it fast. My next step is to remove the sway bar and put the smallest pinion I can find. Locking the diffs. Looks like its going to be a rock Crawler. I will probably do the chassis extention mod too.
you can put a little faster motor in it, about as fast as a stock pede or a little faster. alot has to do with driver skill too, thats part of the challange b/c its so much like a real monster truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.