Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Traxxas did alot more to the rustler to get it to VXL standards, but with that being said it had further to go.

The Rustler at $270 is a much better value than the Losi at $330. Both vehicles are aimed at the same target audience, both advertise speed and both are brushless with lipo capability.

The only downside to the Losi is it has only street tires, the VXL cars can be driven on road and off without needing new tires and wheels.

My main concern about hte Losi is are battery companies going to be as willling to adopt their battery conenctors as they have with traxxas. Traxxas probably sells alot more cars overall than Losi, especially electric not including minis.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
cheech4

a VXL rustler is a better value at 270 than a losi speed T at 329 with a similar brushless and a spektrum. NO WAY speed T get my vote.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
The Hedgehog

Yeah no way the Rustler is a better value with that junk radio.

And by the way Dark Shadows, that connector is an E-flite connecter that has been out for 2 years at least. Horizon owned companies distribute batteries with this connector.
And I say if you cannot solder yourself you shouldn't have a brushless truck, you have to be somewhat electric savvy to be driving such high tech brushless systems. It is similar as a nitro guy not knowing how to turn the mixture needles.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Access

The junk radio works though. It does the job. If you could get an $400 iphone for $200 (at a discount) or a normal phone that does what you want it to for $100, which would you buy (assuming you couldn't sell either on ebay)? A spektrum radio is a nice bonus, but most bashers aren't going to know the difference, much less notice it. How often do you see bashers driving in groups, I've never seen more than two driving at the same time and there you only have a 1 in 6 chance of a channel conflict.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:37 PM
cheech4

the losi speed T even with out the spektrum IMO is a better buy.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: cheech4

the losi speed T even with out the spektrum IMO is a better buy.
We seem to think alot alike...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
The Mad Modder

You can't really judge the speed t since it's not out yet. For all you know it could drive circles around a rustler.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: General_Rommel

You can't really judge the speed t since it's not out yet. For all you know it could drive circles around a rustler.
Ya thats just what I was saying. I could turn out that its one of the best things to hit r/c. You never know...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM
dirt101

not sure about the speed-t but I just got my vxl rusty today, and I have to say it is very nice. I used to have an xl-5 rustler with a mamba 5700/7700 and the vxl is MUCH NICER. smoother, and torquer even running on 2s. I will run a 3s whenever I can take it out to a field. even on 2s its to fast for my yard, and my street(its slick becuase there doing construction which causes the road to be really dusty)
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
sloppyG

the only reason to pick traxxas would be if you didn't have the cash for the losi

the losi will have far better suspension
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
MacMan72

"the only reason to pick traxxas would be if you didn't have the cash for the losi"

I don't think it changes anything. It is an existing platform with an existing BL system with an existing radio technology. You could build that truck today if you wanted to. The only thing they really did was package it in a nice RTR system. I also think the same general applications apply as yesterday. If you are a basher, the VXL may be the better match for you... a racer? the speed-T might suit your need the best. Either one can probably do well at the others "specialty" with a little tweaking and no matter what, driver skill makes or breaks it anyway. Just another day in RC land imo.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 PM
<<ADAMIK>>

not reading ever post but the first few, if u look at traxxas's website, their vids dont do a lot on the dirt, more on the streets. Losi on the other hand i think is much more durable =]
Old 01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
dirt101

Losi on the other hand i think is much more durable
not to be mean but its obvouis you only have 5 posts. LOL the rustler is a tank. trust me I own 2 of them. they are built very strong. another thing losi claims 65 out of there truck but in there video it only got up to 52mph. I know it is capaple of 65 but why would they make a video of it only going 52. doesnt make since.

their vids dont do a lot on the dirt
LOL all of losi's vids are on the street and if you plan on driving a speed-T on dirt add another $50 for new tires and wheels.(the jato gets lots of crap for this so I just had to bring it up.

IDK what everybodies big deal with there radio is. Its just like a normal radio without christals. it doesnt even have a screen. lots of you guys are taking it like its a spectrum or a 3pm. sry to bust your buble but its not, its not even close in comparision.

got to admit though it does look like a potent racer if it had some holeshots or something like that.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 AM
TheTruckingGuru

I am looking to buy either the Speed T or VXL and plan on racing it or just by myself at this long stretch of empty street near me, or the Fontana Speedway. Not really looking for a basher. Do you guys think the Speed T has more speed capability then the VXL assuming you buy optional gearing? It does seem to have a better motor with it's 4800kv brushless vs. VXL 3500kv.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru

I am looking to buy either the Speed T or VXL and plan on racing it or just by myself at this long stretch of empty street near me, or the Fontana Speedway. Not really looking for a basher. Do you guys think the Speed T has more speed capability then the VXL assuming you buy optional gearing? It does seem to have a better motor with it's 4800kv brushless vs. VXL 3500kv.
The KV rating on the motor has nothing to do with being better. The 4800kv just spins more rpm's per volt then the VXL. The VXL makes up for it though because it can be geared higher. It's a trade off. I think for what your doing the Speed-T is your best bet.

The Rustler is really made for bashing.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 AM
ty2000

i dont know where guys are getting this losi's are not strong stuff but thats nuts, losi's have always been tough i have owned EVERY losi truck exept for the jr.T and i have bashed & raced all of them and the only thing i can remeber breaking is the steering belcrank and a few suspension arms, only thing the rusty is good at is running up and down the street at 60+mph & you need 11 volts to do that, and with those ribed and spiked tires it barely does that well.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 AM
TheTruckingGuru

The Rustler VXL is a great car and I won't knock it since it really is an awesome RC and the first RTR designed to go 60mph+. Also buying street slicks for the VXL or dirt treads for the Speed T is not problem and I am sure you can buy a wheelie bar for the VXL somewhere. But I am really looking for the ultimate in speed and the Speed T sounds right assuming that after it's march release date they also begin selling after market gearing to make it go faster. Sounds like the 4800kv has more potential just need the optional gearing that the VXL comes with (VXL comes with optional 28t pinion gear).
Old 01-19-2008, 02:51 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Whoa just as I am reading my own post I see an ad for the new Team Losi 1/18 Mini LS2 Truck. I hit refresh and lost it so you might have to refresh several times to see it. It is not even on Team Losi's website that is so weird. Ok did not mean to side track there but that is cool I have the Micro T and cannot wait to see this mini. OK back to Speed T VS Rustler VSL before I wet myself..........to late
Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru
Ultimately it is how fast the motor spins that determines how much power (work/time) it can deliver. Torque will saturate at some point after which the motor cannot deliver any more. If you want to go fast, it helps to have more RPM (and gear it down) rather than fewer RPM (and gear it up). I have been down that road and the physics of motors supports that also. But at the same time you are not going to see a huge difference, maybe 5-10mph top speed. The only problem with the Losi might be the heat, the VXL does a pretty good job or staying cool and it's hard to fit heatsinks on either motor due to the fact it's surrounded more than halfway by chassis.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: dirt101

IDK what everybodies big deal with there radio is. Its just like a normal radio without christals. it doesnt even have a screen. lots of you guys are taking it like its a spectrum or a 3pm. sry to bust your buble but its not, its not even close in comparision.

if you think there is no big difference between a spektrum system and a regular radio, you obviously never owned one because theres a huge difference. i have owned a spektrum and now a 3pm fasst and i will say this i will NEVER buy a radio unless it has 2.4 ghz.. they are faster, you feel more connected, no glitch worries, and last but not least no interferences with other radio or anything else in that matter.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
04DarkShadowGT

if you think there is no big difference between a spektrum system and a regular radio, you obviously never owned one because theres a huge difference. i have owned a spektrum and now a 3pm fasst and i will say this i will NEVER buy a radio unless it has 2.4 ghz.. they are faster, you feel more connected, no glitch worries, and last but not least no interferences with other radio or anything else in that matter.
I have a DX3.0 in my DF-03, I have a mini monster baja with the losi spektrum radio and during 99% of the driving I do I can tell no difference.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

I have a DX3.0 in my DF-03, I have a mini monster baja with the losi spektrum radio and during 99% of the driving I do I can tell no difference.
he was comparing a spektrum to a normal radio without crystals, i have the JR xs3 which is a synthesized radio and a spektrum and a 3pm fasst and yes you can tell the differences between a normal radio and a spektrum. even if you cant tell the differences there are more advantages to spektrum, no glitch worries and no interferences with other radios
Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

he was comparing a spektrum to a normal radio without crystals, i have the JR xs3 which is a synthesized radio and a spektrum and a 3pm fasst and yes you can tell the differences between a normal radio and a spektrum. even if you cant tell the differences there are more advantages to spektrum, no glitch worries and no interferences with other radios
I know what he was saying and I was saying under most conditions I can tell no difference between my 2.4 models and the stock AM traxxas radios.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
TheTruckingGuru

I will call Team Losi and ask about their 2.4ghz radio and post what they tell me on monday. Sounds like it is similar to a Spektrum 2.0 or 3.0 but I will ask and see if you can bind it to other receivers.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 PM
dirt101

yes I know there is a huge difference between a normal radio and a digital 2.4ghz. I personally use a 3pm fasst, but what I was getting at is the losi radio isnt as nice as a spektrum or ETC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.