Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Edumakated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL or Losi Speed-T?

Both of these cars are pretty nice. As a VXL owner, I will say that the Losi does look nice and it appears to have higher quality components. I will most likely buy one when it comes out to add to the collection. On the other hand, a lot of the people buying Rustler tend to modify them quite a bit. Mine is decked out in FLM parts, etc. After these upgrades, it takes A LOT to break this car. The only time I really ever break anything on my VXL is if I hit a curb going at very high speed. My Rusty easily does 65-70 without even trying on a residential street. Xtreme RC clocked the VXL getting to 60 mph in just 3.5 secs. Folks, that is faster than pretty much any exotic sports car you think of - Ferrari, Lambos, etc. The hardest part of driving these cars is controlling the speed. Trust me, all you will be doing is going in a straight line trying to keep the car from back flipping. Handling is pretty much irrelevant. This Losi vs Traxxas debate is like Ferrari vs Lambo. One car goes 200 and the other goes 205. Big deal, both are way too fast for any practical use.

They probably are going to be about the same speed, but the VXL should be able to be geared up a bit higher for more top end. No one knows till the Losi hits the streets though. My guess is the Losi isn't as fast as the Rustler or else Losi would be advertising they have the fastest RTR truck. If your truck is faster, why let the competition make the claim? The reality though is that it really doesn't matter once you start getting beyond 60... it all looks the same. The car goes by in about .25 secs and you are hitting the brakes before a mail box jumps out of nowhere and destroys your car.

This video pretty much sums up the power of the VXL. Some have claimed up to 80mph, but this is the only one that has been well documented... 75 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxNch5s5jXU

My VXL with FLM and RPM parts:

Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
TheTruckingGuru

Wow sweet video. thanks for posting that. Maybe is was the sound but those electrics are very quit even at high speed. I am not sure I like that. You are right on the comparison of a Ferrari vs Lamborghini the VXL and Speed T are both screaming fast. At 75mph that car just flew past in a blur. That hardly even looks fun. Now that Traxxas has competition, I wonder when they will retire the VXL line and come out with something even faster. 80mph out of the box anyone?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM
cheech4

i agree with your terminology, but because the handling is way better in the losi than the rusty, you will enjoy those top speeds more.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Edumakated

My point about the handling was that at 60+ mph in a stadium truck there is no handling. I don't care if you are driving a Losi, Associated, or whatever supposedly top tier race ready truck you want. While a stock Losi might handle better than a stock Rustler poking around at 20 mphs on a RC Track with a few jumps, it becomes irrelevant at the high speeds these trucks are capable of. From my observation, the Rusty is just a heavier car and more durable which is why it handles like a tank on an RC track without "jangifying it". The Rusty is built for jumping and bashing, not competitive racing. Both of these cars are practically uncontrollable at 60+ mph. All you can do is point it straight and pray. It isn't like you are taking turns and jumping your truck at those speeds. The VXL and Speed-T are made to go fast in a straight line. Nothing more. You try to turn an RC Car like these at 60 mph and you are going to have a 150 yard cartwheel and probably destroy your car.

I honestly never get bored of driving my car by at 60+. Even though their isn't the nitro noise, it has more of a jet whine. I actually like it better. I will take the quiet of electric any day. I do speed runs in front of my house at 10pm at night and my neighbors don't even know I am outside. Good luck doing that with nitro...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 AM
ftt4maniac

Thats exactly right edumakated, at those speeds there is no control. I am putting my money on traxxas in a wipeout, not to mention you can get traxxas parts anywhere.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 AM
The Hedgehog

Might as well get a touring car if all you are going to do is speed runs in front of your house [&:]
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM
ftt4maniac

Exactly
Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Edumakated

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Might as well get a touring car if all you are going to do is speed runs in front of your house [&:]
Nah. A stadium truck is much more durable and versatile than TC. Plus, I also like doing speed runs across large fields, so it just isn't asphalt. Best of both worlds. THe car goes 70 and I can still take it off road if I want.

I will buy a VXL 4tec though if Traxxas comes out with one!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
xxx-t2

ORIGINAL: Access

"Which one do you think is more durable? This is the most important thing for me. I don't care about little speed differences"
Then clearly you want the rustler. The XXX-T isn't even in the same ballpark when it comes to durability, it sacrifices all it's durability for superior handling.

true, the xxx-t is a true racer, and is far superior to any truck on the track, but if u want a basher the traxxas would be ur number one choice.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
xxx-t2

ORIGINAL: Takedown

ORIGINAL: cheech4

the losi speed T even with out the spektrum IMO is a better buy.
We seem to think alot alike...

the losi losi is a way better deal though, but if ur young and cheap just get the generic rustler.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 PM
[email protected]

I've been looking at these two great cars and i cant make up my mind about witch one i want.I want somthing realy durable im sick of always breaking stuff on my car i just want a car that can run for more than a day.please help me
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
haole

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I've been looking at these two great cars and i cant make up my mind about witch one i want.I want somthing realy durable im sick of always breaking stuff on my car i just want a car that can run for more than a day.please help me

its pretty clear what you should get...Rustler. Unless your racing.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 AM
[email protected]

IDk though because i looked at the rustler and it looks like it is built cheaper than the losi. but is the losi more complicating than the rustler? Yes I will be racing this car i just want somthing that can handle some jumps and take some roll overs in a turn without breaking? also which one eats up a battery quicker?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:35 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

IDk though because i looked at the rustler and it looks like it is built cheaper than the losi. but is the losi more complicating than the rustler? Yes I will be racing this car i just want somthing that can handle some jumps and take some roll overs in a turn without breaking? also which one eats up a battery quicker?
Well in that case you really should add the E-Firestorm to your list of options plus a Sidewinder brushless system. That would put it in a similar price point as the Losi Speed-T. It hasn't been out long enough or raced by many folks on this forum to definitively prove it is both as tough as it looks and competitive on the race track. I'm counting on it to be a robust race truck so I took the leap and chose to use this as a brushless race platform.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 AM
ftt4maniac

I am a diehard associated nut and i have owned numeroous losi vehicles. There is no tougher trucks than traxxas, call them generic or whatever, but most will wind up with there craziest and fastest brushless setups in a rustler, stampede, or bandit, for the simple fact of there toughness.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
[email protected]

Do you have a rustler?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: ftt4maniac
There is no tougher trucks than traxxas, call them generic or whatever, but most will wind up with there craziest and fastest brushless setups in a rustler, stampede, or bandit, for the simple fact of there toughness.
I cannot help but disagree, from personal experience at that. Even my HPI RS4 MT have out lasted my Stampede AND my Rusty.

But hey, I always say vote with your wallet!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
ftt4maniac

I have a brushless rustler and a stampede, oh yes i do have a rs4mt too, and i will agree the rs4 is a beast.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a rustler?
Nope. I only compared the trucks while at the LHS. Certain things it really just helps to get your hands-on them after you've scoured the internet for information and opinions.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
[email protected]

money is not a big deal right now. I just want the car that last the longest and can take a couple of crashes without breaking
Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
sloppyG

has anyone mentioned that the losi has a lot of "value engineering" done to make it compete on price with traxxas

there is no diff, it's a spool in there
the shocks look more like evader shocks than losi ones

I'm sure there are many other places that losi cheaped the thing out too
Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

has anyone mentioned that the losi has a lot of "value engineering" done to make it compete on price with traxxas

there is no diff, it's a spool in there
the shocks look more like evader shocks than losi ones

I'm sure there are many other places that losi cheaped the thing out too

i very much highly doubt that.... and losi shocks whether evader looking or not, will not preform like one, they will preform like losi shocks
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
sloppyG

a truck with a brushless setup and that nice radio for the same price as the traxxas has had some corners cut

it's not going to be as nice as a xxxt-mf2 or xxxt-cr
Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
savage25mt2

i'm planing on getting a losi speed t and i like it better being that it has road tires , lotts of alumunum upgrades already on it.[:@]
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

it's not going to be as nice as a xxxt-mf2 or xxxt-cr
Neither is a Rustler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.