Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Rustler VXL 3s (Both Off The Line And Top Speed)
55.32%
Jato 3.3 Stock (Both Off The Line And Top Speed)
4.26%
Rustler VXL 3s (Will Win Off The Line But Get Beat In Top Speed)
11.70%
Jato 3.3 Stock (Will Win Off The Line But Get Beat In Top Speed)
1.06%
Rustler VXL 3s (Will Be Faster Overall But Have Less Low End)
4.26%
Jato 3.3 Stock (Will Be Faster Overall But Have Less Low End)
9.57%
I have no idea...
13.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Rustler VXL 3s VS Stock Jato 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler VXL 3s VS Stock Jato 3.3

ORIGINAL: Clear2Close

ummmm ACTUALLY the jato must reach 200 degrees for optimal performance....you must be thinking about a REAL(1:1) car which performs better in the cold...nitro rc cars need heat
Oh please give me a break. You obviously have NEVER ever owned a nitro everyone who has run a nitro knows it performs better in COLD WEATHER. I said nothing about the engine being cold.

Nitro RC cars need heat? Please stop posting wrong information on these forums people might actually fall for your ignorance.

The same reasoning applies for 1:1 cars as does nitro, col air = denser air = better performance. Yes as in a real car and nitro the engine must be warmed up and in nitro you must wrap the head in foil to keep it warm.

Ask around in the nitro forum about this you will feel silly for that post.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
bighound

autox man is dead on. why do real cars have cold air intakes if cold air is bad.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Always Dreamin

I guess It sounds like I should have him beat! [>:]

Since It looks like neither one of us will get up to full speed, I think 0-60 will be all that matters. Supposidly electric has the Jato there (even though the Jato has a 2 speed) so It looks like I'm good to go.

I even got the steel tranny gears for Lipo! Looking foward to it, If I could just get my truck running right now...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
dishun

go over to youtube ,and enter in 75mph vxl rustler rustler .watch my video ,and you will have your answer. the vxl rustler will kill the jato,and on my maxamps battery i'm getting about 55-60 minutes of run time .
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
sloppyG

the rustler has an open gear diff, and max torque at 0 revs, so it's going to be much harder to get that power put down compared to the Jato

the Jato has a sealed diff that can be tuned with oil to help make it act more like a locked diff

I think the Jato would still be the clear winner, it also has better and more advanced suspension that could be tuned to help plant the power better
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
bneterasedmynam

ORIGINAL: dishun

go over to youtube ,and enter in 75mph vxl rustler rustler .watch my video ,and you will have your answer. the vxl rustler will kill the jato,and on my maxamps battery i'm getting about 55-60 minutes of run time .
i agree that the vxl should win mine blows away a nitro rustler just on a 7 cell nimh pack on both top end and accel. one question though 55-60 mins of run time? on which gear set up? mine overheats on 3s lipo at 31/76 ratio in like 7 mins
Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: dishun

Saw that, nice video. I believe the Jato is faster now, but after Sloppy, IDK?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Clear2Close

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ummmm ACTUALLY the jato must reach 200 degrees for optimal performance....you must be thinking about a REAL(1:1) car which performs better in the cold...nitro rc cars need heat
You obviously have NEVER ever owned a nitro

i have a jato, nitro rustler...when i contacted traxxas about speed not being up to par on the jato they said: the jato must reach 220 drgrees for optimal performance...dont get me wrong im not a nitro PRO im simply relaying what i was told from the manufacturer
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Clear2Close

Oh please give me a break. You obviously have NEVER ever owned a nitro everyone who has run a nitro knows it performs better in COLD WEATHER. I said nothing about the engine being cold.

Nitro RC cars need heat? Please stop posting wrong information on these forums people might actually fall for your ignorance.

The same reasoning applies for 1:1 cars as does nitro, col air = denser air = better performance. Yes as in a real car and nitro the engine must be warmed up and in nitro you must wrap the head in foil to keep it warm.

Ask around in the nitro forum about this you will feel silly for that post.
the LAST thing im trying to do is provide people with the wrong information...im sorry if i did
Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Slo-V Flyer

What automan is saying is that the engine of course needs to reach whatever optimum temperature, but the actual air itself being cold that goes into the engine will produce more power.

I can too attest to that fact, I own a POS Traxxas Pro.15 Nitro Hawk, which I actually broke-in in 40 some degree weather in winter. It has ALWAYS run well in cold weather, without overheating it will reach top speeds. I'll usually let it reach < ~250'F and it will nearly pop wheelies if it hits a small bump on the road (awesome sight if you see it). While in summer, I am usually retuning the damn engine sometimes minutes apart to keep it from overheating too much (250'F), though it does seem to perform somewhat like winter, but again with overheating issues.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Clear2Close

i hear you..what i was trying to say is that in 30 degree weather it will take a long time for the motor to heat up to 220-250, ive driven my jato in temps under 30 to 30 for 3 tanks and it never heated up to that temp
Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 AM
calvino

the prob i see with the jato is it is on 2 wheels a TON, BAD, BAD, BAD, he looses sight, BAM right into curb, now he can manage the throt, but he will loose the all important acceleration... my $$$$$ is on the rusty, not because i say bl is better, it is because the jato will prob be out of control prety darn fast, if someone does have a race, please film it, should be interesting, plus, the jato needs to be tuned, and primed.... heck, with the rusty, throw in the bat, turn on the truck and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shure beat him there, why not have a "dead truck" start, like they do in lawnmower racing... see who gets off the line faster
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: calvino

the prob i see with the jato is it is on 2 wheels a TON, BAD, BAD, BAD, he looses sight, BAM right into curb, now he can manage the throt, but he will loose the all important acceleration... my $$$$$ is on the rusty, not because i say bl is better, it is because the jato will prob be out of control prety darn fast, if someone does have a race, please film it, should be interesting, plus, the jato needs to be tuned, and primed.... heck, with the rusty, throw in the bat, turn on the truck and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shure beat him there, why not have a "dead truck" start, like they do in lawnmower racing... see who gets off the line faster
So asside from your post being rediculously hard to read, you are saying the Jato is bad because it wheelies or it goes too far away to see?

Sorry for asking but the rustler will wheelie just as much (if not more with instant torque)? So your point about the jato having to manage the throttle holds just as true as the Rustler.

@Clear2close - No worries, I thought by your first post you were one of those internet experts handing out wrong information, happens a lot on this forum. You have to take measures to get your engine up to operating temperature in the cold, such as tin foil around the cooling head. I had no problems getting my engine up to temp. Also lean yours out more it will get hotter then.

And just as a real car should be warmed up before driving it hard, same concept.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 AM
jasonjax

I dunno about everyone else, but I sure would love to see a video of a Jato 3.3 versus the Rustler VXL!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: calvino

So asside from your post being rediculously hard to read, you are saying the Jato is bad because it wheelies or it goes too far away to see?

Sorry for asking but the rustler will wheelie just as much (if not more with instant torque)? So your point about the jato having to manage the throttle holds just as true as the Rustler.

+1

I have no idea why someone would think the VXL would have LESS wheelie issues

a rustler on 3s will be more of a handful to handle than the jato 3.3
Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
haole

The cold air where im from = less horsepower. In Hawaii the cold air is at higher altitudes so the air gets really thin. We lose about 25-50% hp in the mountains (but these are some of the highest mountains above sea level)
Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: haole

The cold air where im from = less horsepower. In Hawaii the cold air is at higher altitudes so the air gets really thin. We lose about 25-50% hp in the mountains (but these are some of the highest mountains above sea level)

the temperature of the air is not why you lose power

higher altitudes have less dense air which is why you lose power

it has nothing to do with temp, colder temps=more power every time in every case
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Always Dreamin

I'm pulling for the Rustler. I will find a camera man. We have been talking about how it would be the best R/C video on youtube!

THE OFFICIAL BATTLE, NITRO VS ELECTRIC!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
bneterasedmynam

ORIGINAL: Wipe Out

I'm pulling for the Rustler. I will find a camera man. We have been talking about how it would be the best R/C video on youtube!

i must still say that for it to an official nitro vs. electric that the playing field must be equal....meaning that the jato should not be stock as the vxl is not stock.
the vxl has been re-geared giving it an advantage where as the jato should be re-geared.
also if the vxl is going to be running a 3s lipo then the jato should be running a better tune pipe and 33% fuel.
and lastly the tires should be the same type as well sorry to say but the anacondas that come with a jato suck for acceleration at least unless the jato driver wants to spin them out for like 5 mins before the race.....that would be a better way of truely seeing which power source is better so that the set-up factor is less of an issue. and yes please post the vid....
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: bneterasedmynam

ORIGINAL: Wipe Out

i must still say that for it to an official nitro vs. electric that the playing field must be equal....meaning that the jato should not be stock as the vxl is not stock.
the vxl has been re-geared giving it an advantage where as the jato should be re-geared.
also if the vxl is going to be running a 3s lipo then the jato should be running a better tune pipe and 33% fuel.
and lastly the tires should be the same type as well sorry to say but the anacondas that come with a jato suck for acceleration at least unless the jato driver wants to spin them out for like 5 mins before the race.....that would be a better way of truely seeing which power source is better so that the set-up factor is less of an issue. and yes please post the vid....
My Rustler has nothing on a VXL stock rustler. It's just different. The tires are a little bigger, and It's got a swami instead of that POS Traxxas bar. Nothing that will really make a difference. I'm also getting some new tires before I go lipo. I will not gear up, but I will run the optional gear (I consider that stock).

I don't think the winner will be that obvious. It should be pretty close.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
bneterasedmynam

whats the optional gear? if its the one that was in the box that was i think (correct me if im wrong) a 28 pinion? and the only other spur was the 76 but that didnt come with the vxl.
in mine anyway i think it came with a 28 and a 23 pinion but just the 83 spur, if were talking out of the box only then i would say it will be really close except the rustler should accelerate better of course depending on how well the jatos two speed has been adjusted i want to say that mine went around 70 on its absolute top stock (jato) its average was 66 out of 5 runs.
the vxl on 5 runs was around the same average 67.5 but that was with the 31/76 gears, the ones in the box at top was 28/83 which only went around 55 (i only did one run that way so im not sure what the average was) so i would say unless the race is a short sprint the jato would have it on the stock gears (out of box).
also just in case anyone was wondering my mph speed tests were done on high-speed cam with 5 lines 10 feet apart and calculated by time it took from the first line and each line in between its the best meathod i have found for speed timing.
i would still like to see a full geared up race both at maximum maybe i will try and do one myself and post the vid i just need someone to race my other truck.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Always Dreamin

This might not be an official race then. I don't think either of us will be at the top of our game. My friend is not good at tuning, nor driving. I'm not good at setting up my car..

Although, some people I'm sure wont be satisfied with the winnder, my friend and I will. Hopefully I will shut him up about nitro. [>:]
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
bneterasedmynam

i hope the race goes good for you whenever i race i always have the faster car but then i always end up smashing into something and losing
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Always Dreamin

I was thinking about buying 1/8 scale tires/wheels. What do you think about this? I'm thinking of getting the neweramodels adapters and running those. How would they hold up to high speeds? How do they do for racing? Any pictures of them?

Thanks,
Wipe Out
Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 AM
bneterasedmynam

i would think that any bigger tires would probably change the ratio so you might have to gear it down some to compensate also tire expansion might be something to think about meaning how far the tires will expand at top speed the 8th scale tires might bulk up the ratio even higher and bog the motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.