Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

..::Ener-G 4600 Sub-C NiMH battery review::..

Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
rymansl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ..::Ener-G 4600 Sub-C NiMH battery review::..

ORIGINAL: cheech4

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

I thought I'd add my own experience with these cell in here.

Well before my wheels shredded from all the torque I was able to make two videos of the Vader with its new Ener-g 4600mah 7 cell pack. The first video is with the 18t pinion I usually have on it. MUCH more torque. I used to only be able to pop wheelies from a start off, now I can do it on demand even at speed. Top speed also increased a good 5 mph.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=snas75LSp1I&feature=user

This second video is the same battery pack and car but with a 28t pinion that came with my brother's rustler. The top end on it is mind boggleing with that big of a pinion. The tires also swelled twice as much as in the first video (I didn't record it because there really isn't any point). I don't own a radar gun but I'm guessing it was cruising a good 45 mph.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_vJYtFK93Fk
you know you will gain more mph if you put bearings in place of the bushings right??
Yep. I will eventually get around to doing that. Probably when my front tires wear out and I need to get new wheels. I'll just get bearings instead of prying out the old bushings.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATTENTION!!! ATTENTION!!! ATTENTION!!!

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Time for a product update!

So far, I have ran this pack about 6 times in my crawler, and about 8 times in my XXX-T.

Performance with the XXX-T-----

My XXX-T has a Mamba Max 6900 brushless system in it, gearing at 16/86. With my IB4200 packs and Elite 4500 packs, performance was decent. Top speed was in the 35 MPH range. But with the Ener-G 4600 side by side 6 cell pack, my XXX-T becomes a whole different animal. This pack will really make the Mamba Max 6900 system scream. My top speed is in the 45 MPH range, and the torque is insane! I can pull a wheely when the truck is moving at about 20 MPH with ease, and if I lay on the gas from the start, the tires spin, trying to grab for traction, the truck drives away like a speeding bullet, and slowly lifts the front end into the air, usually resulting the the truck flipping over and sliding on its lid. Donuts on very flat and abrasive cement come easily with the Ener-G 4600 pack in my XXX-T, and I have worn out 2 sets of tires doing this. However, with the IB 4200 and Elite 4500 packs, the truck had difficulty breaking traction on the abrasive cement, which really proves that the Ener-G 4600 packs can pump out some serious amps! In the dirt, this truck is a total beast with the Ener-G 4600 pack. The truck has a hard time finding traction, even in the highest grip dirt, yet when it does find traction, the truck rockets away. On the track, these batteries make the truck seem almost undriveable as they allow the Mamba Max 6900 to really let it all out. When I compared the Ener-G 4600's to the IB4200's and Elite 4500's on the track, the IB's and Elite's made the truck seem "tame" compared to when I drove on the track with the Ener-G 4600's in the truck. However, because these are high drain type batteries, the runtime is short when they are put in with a high power brushless system. On the track, my runtimes were about 13 minutes, and when bashing, I was getting average runtimes of about 10 minutes. But when these batteries are put in a vehicle with a motor system that doesnt draw many amps, like in my super class rock crawler, runtimes are very long, averaging in the 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minute range. Temperature wise, after a run in the XXX-T, they were hot, but still could easily be handled, and after a run in the crawler, the batteries were room temperature.

Tire ballooning was an issue as well because of how much more power the Mamba Max 6900 put out with these Ener-G 4600 batteries. To control the tire ballooning, I used a common method of taping the tires, using a strip of duct tape all the way around the inside of the tire.

I highly recommend these Ener-G 4600 batteries to anyone in the market for some great quality Ni-MH batteries. Also, I recommend buying these batteries in a side by side configuration to get the most out of them.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 AM
c6z06

I just ordered two 6 cell 4600s based on your review. Hope im not disappointed. I just got done driving my brushless 7xl feiago ofna with two 3300 6 cell packs and it was easily fully extending the front shocks. I hope it can wheelie with my new ener-g 4600s. I had a elite 4500 and was about to order the next but cheapbatterypacks hasn't had them in for a while. But these ener-g packs are cheaper (48.99 vs 54.00) and seems alot better based on your review.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 PM
blade466

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

However, because these are high drain type batteries, the runtime is short when they are put in with a high power brushless system. On the track, my runtimes were about 13 minutes, and when bashing, I was getting average runtimes of about 10 minutes.
This is very a short runtime for 4600mah packs!

Do higher KV brushless motors draw more energy than lower KV?
I have a rustler VXL and those batteries look nice, but I won't try them if they only give me 10 minutes of bashing
Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
pede_187

higher KV will give less runtime
Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM
XXT-CRer

been wondering about these cells.

so would you say they are quite an improvenment over ib 4200s?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
haole

ORIGINAL: DRAKE-ULA

been wondering about these cells.

so would you say they are quite an improvenment over ib 4200s?
yes, thats what he said
Old 03-17-2008, 06:16 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

hey jolly, on the first run did you only get a 9 min charge and 4 min runtime? if not how long did it take to charge/ run int he truck?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: hockeyplaya20

hey jolly, on the first run did you only get a 9 min charge and 4 min runtime? if not how long did it take to charge/ run int he truck?
Hes got the 6 cell version so the numbers wouldn't correspond anyways. I have a 7cell ener-g pack and I didn't have any of the problems you seem to be having. Mine ran great even after the first charge. I got 20+ min run times and it took about 1 hour and 45 min. to charge it on 3 amps.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

quick question on these (or any) why 'I recommend buying these batteries in a side by side configuration to get the most out of them' versus the end to end stick style. what is the difference?
thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Frozen72

Less resistance = less heat and power
Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM
kistner

but why would there be less resistance side by side versus end to end? I do not have any side by side packs, but I have disassembled old stick packs. They seem to have an aluminum looking tab soldered to each battery, then folded over. How would it be less resistance if they were not folded over.
Trying to learn here.
thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Frozen72

The aluminum tab is very thin vs. the thick battery bars. Also the tabs are welded on there vs. the bars be soldered on there. They also solder in a special way that prevents battery damage.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
kistner

bars versus alum tabs - I get it now. I ordered some cells, going to try making my own. I guess I'll go the side by side route.
Thanks again
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
haole

I got my pack the other day and finaly had a chance to use it yesterday.

I used them in my VXL rustler. In comparison to my Tenergy 4200mah 7 cell (bright blue) packs the Ener-G 4600's (7cell sxs) are much better. First charge charged up to 4595mah at 3amps, my tenergy packs usually only take about 3000mah to charge. The Ener-g battery had much more power/punch, I can do slow rolling wheelies with the tenergy packs but the Ener-g pack I can do wheelies on demand up to about 15+ mph (estimate), if i punch it to hard from a dead stand still the truck will just launch on to its lid! Runtime was really long too, My tenergies last about 15+- minutes and this battery lasted 25minutes and it wasnt dead yet because i had to stop. The battery didnt get hot at all either, just a little warm, under the same driving conditions my tenergies would have been almost too hot to touch (they get really hot).

If i had a choice of getting two tenergies or one of these i would probably get one of these ener-g 4600's, its quality and performance double that of the tenergy.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Redvanmafia

thats great and all but c'mon guys go lipo, you wont go back to nimh, nicd some of these cells are getting expensive some over 80-100 bucks a pack, for that price i can almost go lipo, the orion 3200 witch will run longer then these 4600 or just as long and have more punch and more balls for 89.99 2s lipo is egual to 8 cells just about even tho 8 cell voltage is techically higher, lipo also will weigh less
Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM
haole

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

thats great and all but c'mon guys go lipo, you wont go back to nimh, nicd some of these cells are getting expensive some over 80-100 bucks a pack, for that price i can almost go lipo, the orion 3200 witch will run longer then these 4600 or just as long and have more punch and more balls for 89.99 2s lipo is egual to 8 cells just about even tho 8 cell voltage is techically higher, lipo also will weigh less
Thats true but I dont have the money for a decent lipo charger and battery. I didnt even want to spend the $60 on one nimh pack which is really high! but it was either that or $200ish for a lipo charger and battery that i deffinatly dont have. These nimhs work perfectly fine for now even though i said that same thing about my old tenergies =/ .... which I still use. But ya, im sure lipo is freekin awsome i just have too many things i want right now and not enough $$$$
Old 03-22-2008, 12:30 PM
pede_187

How are these going to compare with Losi's IB4600's (my lhs has them that's why I'm asking)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM
MahnkenVille

so they have great power, but i thought the higher the mAh, the higher the runtime? I'm getting the sidewinder 5700 soon, and I want really good runtimes but still a nice punch...

reccomended for the sidewinder for runtimes? or no? if not, what would be good?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
rymansl2

runtimes with my 4600 mamba is 20+ minutes. These are great packs for run times and punch.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 AM
BUCKY0315

New b here. I just recently order these cells after doing much research. Thought my brain was going to melt. yes I do read the post and they all make strong points. This one in particular says it all for me. I cannot wait for them to arrive. I have the SW/5700 running with a Venom 1800. hahahahahah. I know, but I just got into this sport. Rymansl2 can't wait to see your new video.

My Evader EXT will never be the same, I am sure of it, after reading this review.

Alex
Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: BUCKY0315

New b here. I just recently order these cells after doing much research. Thought my brain was going to melt. yes I do read the post and they all make strong points. This one in particular says it all for me. I cannot wait for them to arrive. I have the SW/5700 running with a Venom 1800. hahahahahah. I know, but I just got into this sport. Rymansl2 can't wait to see your new video.

My Evader EXT will never be the same, I am sure of it, after reading this review.

Alex
I already have the videos I'll post them up again so you can see um. These videos are with a brushless system but you can still see the difference in power between the two batteries. Before battery is a 3300 venom.

Before ener-g http://youtube.com/watch?v=IXhBVXGi7Qs

After ener-g http://youtube.com/watch?v=snas75LSp1I

After ener-g and with 28t pinion http://youtube.com/watch?v=_vJYtFK93Fk&feature=related
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
mrjobson

Hi! Do i have to change pinion on my Rastler VXL if i will use 7-Cell pack? I've read in manual, that they does not advice to change pinion if i am going offroad and often stop/accelerate. What do you think?