Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

MRC ETK Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: MRC ETK Restomod

Good to know i'm not the only one putting brushless set ups in these things. I have a baja king with an HV4400. I'll post pics when I get home tonight
Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
john01374

pics as promised. The Baja king has a HV4400 that run on 14.4 volts. Seriously fast and almost too much spped.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIDICOULOUS! nice whips man!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 PM
triggeraa

Sweet rides John. The only weak link I have found is the front bulkhead. I have broken 2 of them. I'm thinking 17 year old plastic might not hold up to well. I am going to have one made out of aluminum.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 AM
mindwreck

man you guys really beat those things.. i recently picked up one that was in pieces for like 70 bucks. when it got here everything was brand new [X(] missing some bits here and there but i don't even want to run it because it will get dirty[&:]
Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
john01374

triggeraa - If you get a front bulk head made let me know. I'd like to pick a couple up as well. I have 4 of these truck total. I'm working on a a twin 700 motor version right now with twin shocks front and rear (weight) It's the blue thunder king in the pick. So far the only thing I've broken is a few servos. It could just be me but it seems like twin MG645's should be enough to steer this thing but so far i've stripped 4 of them.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
rcbeep73

If you guys want I have new bulkheads that I can use to make some carbon fiber bulk heads. I was thinking of making some anyway but I guess I will be doing it earlier. Let me know.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
rcbeep73

I am here thinking, did you guys mean the shock mount or where the front arms connect too? I might have miss understood you. If so sorry about the confusion
Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Derigor

http://picasaweb.google.com/Derigort...ajaKingReborn#

Gallery of my Baja King.

90% complete, waiting on batteries and new motors.

Had to extend the mammoth axles using steel fuel line tubing from a race car. This truck is WIDE, no wheel widdeners on this beast.

Also need to stick in a set of heavy duty mg servos. Basically got all the work done on it, just needs electronics to go in it... could use a new body. The original body has been bashed so hard the paint is coming off.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
rcbeep73

wow, you did alot of work. looks good. how strong are the rear axles, Do you think they will hold up.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Derigor

Yea, they are hardened steel/stainless steel. Used XTM hardened steel dogbones, big muthas. Then cut em in half and slipped em into some stainless steel fuel line tube that you use on dragsters. Tight fit. Then used some 4000lb crimper to secure the tubing to the axles. They aint going anywheres.

I'm waiting on a couple of 650 motors from kershaw designs to slap in there as well as some digital mg servos, I have a traxxas 16.8 esc out of an e-maxx that will do the job, just need to decide on which batteries to use and where to mount em.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:59 PM
rcbeep73

check out max amps. they got good stuff.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:24 AM
triggeraa

Your setup looks great. Keep us updated.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Derigor

Well I was running it with the same old silver can stock motors out in the ware house at work and was jumping the forklift ramp (you know what you use to get a forklift form the loading bay into the back of the van trailer) and the suspension is super plush. Still the original springs and shocks on 50wt shock oil.

Then I noticed massive loss of power so I checked out the axles... The nut that holds on the 23mm Hex keeps backing off and I lost 3 axle pins. Apparantly there isnt enough thread for the nylon lock nut to grab. Blue lock tight should solve this problem. Waiting on this pair of 650s to come in seems like forever.

I'm pretty sure on 16.8volts and those 650s that this giant thing should smoke my bosses emaxx. If not I'll just have to ram him I guess. Atleast I got him beat in toughness.

Triggeraa - How did you do all the turnbuckles on your truck? I had to basically make all of mine. Nothing I could find was long enough. I think my truck might be wider than yours since I used the same dogbones you did and they were atleast 1/4 inch too short. I snuck some Savage XL parts in there^^

I used the RPM arms and the uppers to make the turnbuckle ends. Apparantly when I built the thing in the 90s I used red locktight or something on every screw. The screws would snap before wanting to come out. That was a fun surprise.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:37 AM
artechroach

Default Complete Parts List

Hey, I was wondering if you had a complete parts list? Trying to piece together what replacements you used. I just came into possession of one of these trucks and it is going to need some work. Part names and Part numbers would be more than appreciated. Thanks so much!
Originally Posted by triggeraa
Small update while I wait for new lipos, Kyosho aluminum shocks and steel gears.[&o] I added aluminum body posts, heat sinks for the motors and vxl fans to both escs. Need to paint the JConcepts Illuzions MGT lid. Also replacing remaining phillips head screws with hexes. Having some "Twin VXL" decals made.