Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Gearing for Stampede

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 AM
freestylingford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing for Stampede

Hey guys its been a while. I just dug my xl5 out with a 15 turn motor in it and have been playing with it for a while and got smoked by a mini losi with a brushless kit on it. So last night I bought a tekin rebel 2 and a orion revolution 10t double and wasn't sure on the gearing. I ordered the lowest gearing I could get with the 90t spur and a 12t pinion should I be alright like that with the talon wheels and tires?

I done the math and the final ratio difference will be -5.703

if I go with a 16t pinion I get a -.0407 is this more I deal or should I stay with the lower ratio for bashing and wheelies?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:52 AM
freestylingford

Default RE: Gearing for Stampede

Anybody wanna confirm?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
RCJesse

Im not an expert but I do know that lower turns on pinion is more torque/less speed...as far as the motor, I am not sure. make sure your tranny is strong enough for that kinda power[X(]
Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
freestylingford

To the top I wanna know what experienced runners think.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Ok here is my 2 cents.

10 turn motor + Pede + pede tires = burnt motor.

12/90 would not be even close to what you'd need to gear it. If it existed, I'd say 9/90 or 10/100....

I own a Rustler and a 13t motor geared 13/90 would get hot after a few minutes just running up and down the street (stock sized tires mind you), on 6-cell nonetheless.

If you want speed, get a good 14-15t motor and start out gearing it 12/90 to maybe 14/90. The Pede has bigger heavier tires which add more rolling mass and therefore stress to the motor.

I done the math and the final ratio difference will be -5.703. if I go with a 16t pinion I get a -.0407 is this more I deal or should I stay with the lower ratio for bashing and wheelies?
That ratio difference junk is of no use to you, trust me, it will only mess you up more. You want the proper total gear ratio, which is calculated like this: Spur / Pinion x 2.72 = some number. 2.72 is the internal diff ratio in case you're wondering.
So looking at it that way, you'd want something like 20:1 or even more ridiculously bigger number (like 22:1, 23:1) or larger in order for the Pede to run a 10 turn motor with stock 4+ inch sized tires and not melt it into a pile of $40 of scrap.

Not being mean or scare mongering, just letting you know how it is with these trucks.

Or just drop in a VXL system in there. Problem solved. Gear it however you want down to 30/78 (top speed only) and you'll still be somewhat ok.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 AM
freestylingford

Could you recommend a set of wheels and tires that would allow me to do this I have alreay bought this stuff.

I sort of figured that it wasn't enough because of the larger tires.

I appreciate the honesty I was ready for it. I have ran the 15 turns geared 87 16 just fine but its still not enough speed. Plenty of power there to insue a tranny beefing I had to do that the first time i put that 15t motor in it.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 AM
freestylingford

I realize thats not a normal gear setup but I have been pretty good at not holding it wide open for a super long time and usually drive it at 3/4 throttle and sometimes full blast and that seems to help with not burning up the motors so far.