Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My First Stadium Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 AM
freestylingford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Stadium Truck

Well since I can't get the speed and handling out of my pede i want a full out stadium truck. I was looking at the t4 from Associated. I already have a esc and motor all i really want is the truck and steering servo it can be a kit I have to put together. I don't necessarily have to get the t4 but they seem pretty cool and light. I plan on running a 10t mod motor at first since thats what I was really wanting to put in my pede but I am over that now and realize its just not possible. I am not a kid so I don't want this as just a little back yard toy I want a real machine.

I really just wanted some help in finding a roller chassis with a servo or maybe a whole kit. And a little advice on what to get for it to beef it up a little and make it durable and handle real well in the dirt. I think I am going to start racing these things instead of my mud racing truck (real) that drains many thousands of dollars out of my pocket every year. I thought maybe I could save some cash and still do something fun but not completely annihilate my bank account.

I have a track thats just 45mins away and I am very interested in this. So could some fellow racers help a guy get started?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
<<ADAMIK>>

Default RE: My First Stadium Truck

i see u mean the factory team t4. I would pick losi's xxx-t cr kit over the t4 though.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: freestylingford

Well since I can't get the speed and handling out of my pede i want a full out stadium truck. I was looking at the t4 from Associated. I already have a esc and motor all i really want is the truck and steering servo it can be a kit I have to put together. I don't necessarily have to get the t4 but they seem pretty cool and light. I plan on running a 10t mod motor at first since thats what I was really wanting to put in my pede but I am over that now and realize its just not possible. I am not a kid so I don't want this as just a little back yard toy I want a real machine.

I really just wanted some help in finding a roller chassis with a servo or maybe a whole kit. And a little advice on what to get for it to beef it up a little and make it durable and handle real well in the dirt. I think I am going to start racing these things instead of my mud racing truck (real) that drains many thousands of dollars out of my pocket every year. I thought maybe I could save some cash and still do something fun but not completely annihilate my bank account.

I have a track thats just 45mins away and I am very interested in this. So could some fellow racers help a guy get started?

Thanks.
The t4 is a good truck. Mine has been fairly durable. I've owned a Rustler and a Stampede aswell. They are two of the tuffest trucks I own. The t4 has only broken once on me though. The tranny can handle brushless stock from what I've seen aswell. It's good that you already have the electronics. Once you get into racing, you will probbibly want to upgrade. At that time, you will be glad you saved some money on the electronics.

cough cough brushless cough lipo cough
Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
biggame

T4's and XXX T's are for racing. They really aren't for bashing around a field or in the back yard. I love my T4 but end up driving my E-Savage around because of the larger tire size.

Since you have an everyday truck and would like to race. I would suggest getting the truck with the most available parts. The hobby stores around me only stock Associated parts. So I bought a T4.

James
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
<<ADAMIK>>

biggame is right, i just figured u wanted a more racing cause u wanted the ft t4. rustler or rustler vxl if u want more of a bashing stadium truck
Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Frozen72

The XXX-T CR is way more durable than the T4. I saw one at my track and I was amazed at the hits that it took.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
aebrock

go nitro like maybe on of those 2wd stadium firestorm truck it looked good i got the b4 its great but now i wish i saved that little extra money and bought nitro.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
freestylingford

Hey guys like I said i am not wanting to bash I want to race I am looking for some help in finding a roller to build or a full kit but I don't want to buy it retail. I guess I could but I would rather see if anyone knows where to get one for a decent price or maybe someone here would like to sell theirs to buy the "so much better" xxx-t.

Looking for some real racers on here or maybe there is another forum that have actual racers not really pro racers but people that do it and are in the Know so to speak. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 AM
freestylingford

Whats the consensus on the hpi firestorm? Can it be made to compete with the t4?

I am really liking this firestorm I am about to click the pay button can somebody try to talk me out of it? Is there something better I need to get instead?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 AM
freestylingford

Well I did it I bought the fire storm with next day shipping! I can't wait to race my stampede against it when I pull the stock electronics and put a 10t mod motor and tekin esc in it .
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
<<ADAMIK>>

if u really wanted racing u would have listened to us and bought the xxx-t cr
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
aebrock

i dont know u should get an electric for a first car but nitro is always better.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
aebrock

wooohoo u got nitro way to go man tell me if its worth it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Chris_RC

get the firestorm
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
freestylingford

No its the electric version this isn't my first set of wheels by no means. I done a lot of research and found that the firestorm is a much better truck than its been given credit for and is quite nimble stock. I figured when they get the aftermarket parts flowing it will probably get that much better.

Is there not a spur gear selection for this truck?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
freestylingford

Well I stuck my foot in my mouth the 10t motor is a Orion revolution price was 60 bucks this thing runs like a dog but handles well my stock stampede with a 15t trinity is way faster.

First I tried a 12t pinion way slow and hardly no heat so I went to the book it came with and for a 10t motor it recommended a 18t pinion so that makes since why it was so slow and not hot.

So I put a 19t pinion on it a little faster terrible low end and not really that much faster I don't understand what is going on here should I wait a while for the motor to break in before I get totally pissed or is there something else I am missing.

And when I say slow and crappy bottom end it seems as though the motor just doesn't have the power should i adjust the timing on it towards the red mars? I am running on 6 cells 3500mah I mean my stampede with a 86t spur 16t pinion and alot cheaper lower turn motor is just running off and leaving this thing and I am really aggravated. Once up to speed though this thing is a real jumper it flys through the air without any momentum built up at all .

Help guys. I want answers from people that really know what they are talking about. Don't tell me the gearing is off because I am not getting much more heat with the 19t compared to the 12t pinion.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
freestylingford

Well I done a little searching on this motor and found out what the timing marks represented on a race forum and I adjusted the timing back to 13 degrees advanced. Put a fresh pack in and walla shes spinning tires and screaming around the field with nothing getting hot but the batteries and the esc. I am happy now.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 PM
powerslider

Default RE: My First Stadium Truck Update Help Needed!!

You need a better speed control and batteries to make your truck scream, the rebel is not the best choice for that motor. If your going to race a lot get a high end non reversing (3wire 13 ga) speed control (R1) or better yet a brushless system. You need the best batteries you can afford and get the gearing right for the track. That motor should take a 14t pinion and be plenty fast for the track unless there's a very long straightaway. A 10t motor will be a high rpm motor so to get the most power you have to have the gearing to let it rev into the peak power range.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
freestylingford

Thanks for the reply friend, I have since the last post realized what you are talking about I didn't think it was enough but hey thats what it says in the tech sheet ya know.

But you can't always pay attention to that I mean heck the motor was almost as much as the esc so that should have hit me in the face to begin with.

I want to use the brushed setup for a while so i am looking at the maba esc and then get a motor some other time.

I am also getting 2 4200 mah packs from orion.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM
olydemon

ORIGINAL: Frozen72

The XXX-T CR is way more durable than the T4. I saw one at my track and I was amazed at the hits that it took.

I see the opposite at the track I race at. The Losi guys are always repairing their trucks more often than the AE guys.

The owner of the shop even recommends the T4 over the CR for durability reasons.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:24 PM
powerslider

I used to race alot indoors on carpet and out doors in the dirt so I've had experience with a lot of different motors and speed controls. To get the most out of your setup requires good equipment and the right combinations that work well together. I have an E Firestorm with a Mamba 5700 which I run on 7 cells bashing, I use a 15t pinion with the stock spur and it's plenty fast for what I run.

I would avoid the IB4200 packs if you can as they are not the most reliable, too many bad cells and rather high mantainence to keep them healthy. Look for the newer EP's or EnerG's, hopefully they are better quality.....

Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 AM
freestylingford

I am kinda stuck on a esc money is no object what should I get to run brushed and brushless. I was looking at the Novak GTB

Oh and since you have a e storm have you tried running lube in the gearbox? You should it freed it up a whole lot on mine because I was desperate to find more power with what I had.

I put slick 50 oil treatment in the case not to much just enough for the differential to grab and circulate and its actually staying in there I havn't had a leak yet.

There was a major improvement in top end and how fast it got up to top speed with what I got for a esc and all you should see the same improvement.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
powerslider

I would get a Mamba from my experience with it. The new programming makes it much better although I didn't have any problems before but it does make the truck easier to control it seems. Power is more linear to throttle input. The Sidewinder system is at a good price so I would jump on that as I really think you'll like it. The brushed setups are more maintainence and the motor armatures wear out especially with low turn high current draw types such as your 10 double. The programability of the Mambas is very useful so you can experiment and set all the parameters up to your likeing and it's easy to use.

I haven't had my diff apart yet but I just got some lube to try so I'll get into it shortly.....
Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
freestylingford

Well I 'll let you you know What I have coming. I got the mamba max esc. 2 duratrax 4200 sxs packs integy 6x4 charger and the front and rear aluminum bodied shock up grade.

And I went a head and got a good radio a jr ss x3 fm and a novak xxtra receiver. So I should be ready for the track next weekend.
I was going to get the GTB but I didn't see anything about that it was worth as much as it was compared to the mamba.

I am going to run all my brushed motors on it for a while. And then throw the brushless motor on it later and when I can get some good trinity packs but at tower they are all sold out of the high end trinity packs.

Let me know if you see the difference in the truck after the gearbox is lubed. And I meant the actual gear case not just the differential I didn't know if you knew what I meant I have seen where people are scraping the grease out and putting gear lube in it I put some synthetic amsoil gear oil in my diff but in the case its self I put a small puddle of slick 50 in it to circulate throughout the rest of the gears.

Later.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM
powerslider

Yeah I knew what you meant on the gearbox, I'll try it. Looks like you'll be good to go with what your getting, check back when you get it all together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.