Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless submerged...any problem?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 AM
cornel4web

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless submerged...any problem?

I just wanna know, whats happen to BL motors if are getting wet...I know that for the brushed motors, getting wet was nothing but a good inside cleaned up...but what about BL....???
i run on wet tarmac pretty much, and the inside of the car getting wet, I can protect the ESC, but the motor is exposed to soak [:-][:-][:-]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Brushless submerged...any problem?

what about the reciver and servo? and its bad if the motor gets wet
Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Fr33ze

Please expalin "its bad if the motor gets wet", hockeyplaya20.

We already know what happens when recievers and servos get wet, they twitch, and they become unresponsive or stop working all together. ESC's will pritty much always fry when they get wet. Brushed motors arent waterproof, they do rust, but you can spray it with oil afterwords...

I run 3 mamba powered trucks/cars in the rain and the only issue I had was a little bearing squeek behind the pinion, but the oil fixes that... I use battery shrink wrap, hot glue, pop (soda) bottles, silicone, and I even paint the circut boards to seal the servos and reciever up. I used hot glue to seal the motor where the wires go into the back, and thats all. It might not be proper to run in the rain, but so far Ive had only one reciever twitch out on us since the spring... Last weekend the e-jato totaly went right under water when my buddy drove it through what he thought was a shallow puddle, a minute later the reviever twitched out bad. So we changed the reciever with a newly painted one and kept on truckin.

However, dont do what I do just cuz I said I did, I can afford to fry most any part for the sake of trying new things.

I am currently corrisponding with castle creations in hopes of eather getting info about using the Hydra series BL ESC's for land RC's or even persuading them to develope a water proof ESC for land based RC's. Traxxas is on the right path with the new E-maxx waterproof electronics...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
leereyn

It so happens that I ran an old RC-10T3 with a brand new Castle Creations Sidewinder motor and esc into a water hole last week. I quickly unplugged everything and dried it with a blow dryer and let it sit for about 24 hours. Plugged everything back up and hooked my batts to it and everything (including receiver, I think I got lucky) works fine, at least for now. Long term may bring problems, but so far so good.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
The Hedgehog

A fully submerged brushless motor will most likely fail on you, but it is near impossible to fully submerge one. I run brushless in my seaplane with no problems.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Uhhh welll i never fully submerged my brushless =/ ha
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
rschoi_75

I've run my bl motors in wet conditions before with no problems. I just spray wd40 in the bearings before and afterwards to blast out any water, and prevent rust. Been doing it for over a year with good results.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
daveholm

I asked the same question over in the electric boat forum and the response I received was it will be fine. You just need to dry it good and relube when you are done. Rust is your biggest threat. I have also read forums by the brushless Sea plane owners like AutoXMan and they responded with the same answers as the boat guys. I would say those two groups are experts on BL and water so I go by what they say.

Bottom line clean and lube well when you are done and it should be fine.

Dave

Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 AM
bneterasedmynam

i run my vxl in the water and snow all the time i have never dried it out or really done any cleaning and have had zero problems with it.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:49 AM
cornel4web

of course i will not get my BL fully submerged...but using it in a drift car in various condition will gonna get some water get inside the car...
I know from my experience that running a brushed motor submerged, for a limited time, will gonna get the brushes clean becouse of the sparks that apear on the comm....that's the ideea of the new waterproof E-MAXX...using brushed motors...[:-]
Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, with liberal before and after use of WD-40 the motor should be fine. Brushed and brushless DC motors are pretty water resistant electronically. Avoid salt water however since its far more corrosive. And as for the other onboard electronics, balloon them up or something.