Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Rising Storm

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 AM
J.D.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Rising Storm

Yea with cvds even more than my old bx
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
J.D.T

lol that was supposed to be a quote but I replied, this is the answer to the suspension travel question above.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 AM
jsmithy

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

lol that was supposed to be a quote but I replied, this is the answer to the suspension travel question above.
Do you have any idea on an actual quantity? 1-2 inches? Just curious. Trying to narrow down my choices of vehicles.

I am down to choosing between three now.

Rustler VXL stock
e-Savage stock
DF-02 with 4" truck tires and Sidewinder 4600
Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
J.D.T

if you need a hard number I will have to check later tonight but I would say 2 inches reasons out about right, with a four inch tall truck tire you can push it down enough to make the chassis hit on the table underneath, since the arms are not perfectly flat with the chassis it ends up the centerline of the wheel is at or slightly above chassis level, half the diameter of a four inch tire is 2 inches
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
jsmithy

if you need a hard number I will have to check later tonight but I would say 2 inches reasons out about right, with a four inch tall truck tire you can push it down enough to make the chassis hit on the table underneath, since the arms are not perfectly flat with the chassis it ends up the centerline of the wheel is at or slightly above chassis level, half the diameter of a four inch tire is 2 inches

That''s good enough for me. Thanks.

My concern with the DF-02 chassis is the bouncing you get offroad sometimes with a short suspension throw car. Seems less of an issue in a monster or stadium truck mostly due to the more suspension travel to soak up those bumps.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
J.D.T

well with the bigger tires I went down to 25 and 30 weight shock oil, it takes the bigger bumps much better now, I hold it waist high and drop it to the floor below and it just barely makes the wacking sound 4wd buggies are famous for, its only three to four pounds loaded up so it will get thrown around by the bigger bumps and such, but hitting a one inch bump with a four inch tire at 40 is like hitting a six inch tall curb with your real car at top speed, you can bet its going to be a handfull lol. There are no vidoes on youtube of a big tired df 02 but lots of videos of stock tired ones, search under gravel hound, rising storm and plasma edge as well as df 02, heres a good quick video of a stock df 02 running on a typical basher type surface, far from prepared in any manner other than driven wind and rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfyndbrLOE

there is also a pretty good df 02 vs df 03 video, I was suprised the df 02 did as good as it did considering the stock df 03 tires are at least 50% better and the suspension geometry is supposed to be improved also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCfORJ8VNqc

the df 02 is the yellow one btw
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM
jsmithy

J.D.T.

Thanks. I have watched a ton of videos of all of the truck/cars I am considering, but like you say, have not seen a DF-02 with the big tires yet. I have always liked Tamiya kits and have never been disappointed with one. I really would like to stick with a single battery and would like brushless and 4WD. That seems to make the decision right there, doesn''t it?

Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Phelansa

My DF02 on larger wheels. Maybe this helps explain what J.D.T. was talking about.

With Medium Sized wheels. Two T smaller pinion is all that is required.

With MT Style wheels. Two T''s down on the pinion, Two T''s up on the Spur.

The Novak XBR/EX 8.5 that provides the motive force. On the big wheels and with the 4000mah 2S LiPo this car is way faster than my Sportwerks Mayhem ST Nitro.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
jsmithy

Phelansa,

It does look good with the Dirt Hawg Buggys on it.

Isn''t a 70T spur the largest that will fit in the DF-02? I hear 70/16 gear ratio said a lot. Isn''t that the tallest available?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
J.D.T

I originally tried to gear it 70/16 with four inch tires and the mamba 5700, it ran hot and would get the motor to the danger zone, the 4600 ran so much cooler I was quickly aware I should have went for the 4600 system and had a hassle free, fairly pissed off basher that with a good lipo doubles the stock speed and increases the grin factor a ton, Phelansa has access to a machine shop he needs to make an adjustable motor mount for the df 02(HINT HINT lol) and determine if it will allow any lower gearing, I am afraid it won''t as the motor can is nearly hitting on the chassis at 70/16, I am planning a special df 02 hybrid project this summer if time and funds work out right. I was going to get another on road car but I lost two bashing buddies last week to harley ownership so they sold there stuff and got completely out of rc, If my wife was cool with it I would probably get the harley and keep my rc stuff
Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Phelansa

I started off with a Tamiya TZ Superstock and a 302 ESC with 21T pinion and 65T Spur. I use the GPM Alloy motor mount. I machined the motor mount to allow me to slide the motor to get the best mesh, instead of having to try pick the correct set of holes. I also made a "Butt Plate" that the motor tightens against. This gives some additional support to the mount. Needed after my heavy handed machining. To give a testament to how tough the DF02 is? The only times I have ever had the rear gearbox cover open was the couple of times I changed gearing. The diffs I opened in December. I figured that after 2 years (1.5 of which was on BL power) I would need to replace the diff internals. Nothing doing. I cleaned out the old grease and repacked with new... That was it. Still the original diff internals that came with the kit!! I would like to see another brand make that claim!! Keep in mind... that is without a slipper!!

When I installed my Mamba I went to 19/68 which was fine for 2S LiPo or 6Cell NiMH... But incredibly hot on 3S. I am talking 200°F motor and ESC in about 5 minutes!! But man... fast does not even begin to describe it. Too fast!! One crash saw me tear my Rising Storm body into 3 pieces, the wing into 2. The car cart wheeled for more than the length of a cricket pitch before it started rolling! That is why I run the Gravel Hound body now. I tried my MM4600 as well... but still just to much power! Like JDT says, it does do much better on heat than the 5700!!

I fitted the Novak with that big @#ss motor heatsink and that got rid of the heat problems all together. When I originally tried the MT wheels I went to 17/70. Runs like a dream, but those specific wheels have almost zero grip. I am talking 4WD drifting on asphalt!!

For the Dirthawgs I just went back to the 68T Spur. You should see it fly on the beach! I am talking about a rooster tail of sand at least 8 foot high!! This is one of the cars I will never get rid of. Not even for something that is worth 3x times as much.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
jsmithy

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

I started off with a Tamiya TZ Superstock and a 302 ESC with 21T pinion and 65T Spur. I use the GPM Alloy motor mount. I machined the motor mount to allow me to slide the motor to get the best mesh, instead of having to try pick the correct set of holes. I also made a "Butt Plate" that the motor tightens against. This gives some additional support to the mount. Needed after my heavy handed machining. To give a testament to how tough the DF02 is? The only times I have ever had the rear gearbox cover open was the couple of times I changed gearing. The diffs I opened in December. I figured that after 2 years (1.5 of which was on BL power) I would need to replace the diff internals. Nothing doing. I cleaned out the old grease and repacked with new... That was it. Still the original diff internals that came with the kit!! I would like to see another brand make that claim!! Keep in mind... that is without a slipper!!

When I installed my Mamba I went to 19/68 which was fine for 2S LiPo or 6Cell NiMH... But incredibly hot on 3S. I am talking 200°F motor and ESC in about 5 minutes!! But man... fast does not even begin to describe it. Too fast!! One crash saw me tear my Rising Storm body into 3 pieces, the wing into 2. The car cart wheeled for more than the length of a cricket pitch before it started rolling! That is why I run the Gravel Hound body now. I tried my MM4600 as well... but still just to much power! Like JDT says, it does do much better on heat than the 5700!!

I fitted the Novak with that big @#ss motor heatsink and that got rid of the heat problems all together. When I originally tried the MT wheels I went to 17/70. Runs like a dream, but those specific wheels have almost zero grip. I am talking 4WD drifting on asphalt!!

For the Dirthawgs I just went back to the 68T Spur. You should see it fly on the beach! I am talking about a rooster tail of sand at least 8 foot high!! This is one of the cars I will never get rid of. Not even for something that is worth 3x times as much.
LOL. You sure write a convincing tale. I'm almost convinced the DF-02 is the way I should go. The e-Savage naggingly hangs in there though.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:54 PM
J.D.T

think of it as with the df 02 you will be able to play with your kids and their trucks, an e savy will have a hard time not rolling over every five seconds if you are chasing your boys evader...IMO of course lol.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM
jsmithy

think of it as with the df 02 you will be able to play with your kids and their trucks, an e savy will have a hard time not rolling over every five seconds if you are chasing your boys evader...IMO of course lol.

True that!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
jsmithy

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

My DF02 on larger wheels. Maybe this helps explain what J.D.T. was talking about.

With Medium Sized wheels. Two T smaller pinion is all that is required.

Are you running 4 - rear Dirt Hawgs on 4 rear HPI wheels? Or are you running fronts on the front end?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
jsmithy

Any opinions on this setup? Think it would better than stock? I'm exploring lower costs setups at this point with brushless later on.

DF-02
Trinity Co27 Pro Monster Stock
70/16 gearing
4" Dirt Hawg truck tires
6-cell NiMH 3,000 MaH
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
J.D.T

I would bet you could gear up quite a bit with the 27 turn so I would get the 16, 17 and 18 tooth pinions(you will get a 19 stock) to find the best blend of take off power and top end, the co27s give great run time, one local on road guy with a nomadio showed only 739 mah used in one five minute race quailifier 100 % all out. The top speed will be higher than stock as the tires and larger in diameter and the motor is turning about 25% more rpm than the silver can. I would start at 70/16 and work my way up to find the best of both worlds but then again I like torque and the ability to "go anywhere"(ok darn near) more than I like the difference between 21 and 26 mph in the street.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
jsmithy

That sounds good. I'll give those pinions a try. I think I have finally about decided.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Phelansa

I agree with JDT on this one.

And yeah, 4 Buggy rears on mine
Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
sitruc_bc

Would you get more torque with 70/16 gearing on the 27t motor?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Phelansa

You would for sure!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
sitruc_bc

Ok, cool. I think my speed controller or something is fried in my rising storm. :s I'll fully charge the battery, and I'll only run it for maybe 7 minutes or so before it dies. I'm thinking about gettinig an mm 4600kv though. Any tips on what batteries would be best suited for the 4600kv?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Phelansa

If you want to run a MM4600 then it really will be worth your while to get a LiPo battery. There are some really good 4000mah 2S packs for around $50. I would suggest that you also consider the Sidewinder 4600 and the Novak XBR/EX series before you do buy anything!

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6656]4300mah[/link]

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6598]3000mah[/link]

Little bit more expensive but higher C rating. [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6522]4150mah[/link]
Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 AM
J.D.T

I think one of the best things about the 4600 is lipo is not needed so badly as the other three systems so you can get by easier on six cell packs if you have a budget and need to upgrade in stages, If you got a lipo ready charger I would be hard pressed to tell you to go for the mamba over a sidewinder and a lipo for nearly the same money, I however don't have a sidewinder and have only raced one twice, I honestly could not tell the difference between both 5700 setups in a couple ta 05s, I was not able to keep up with the leaders with either setup but he was the leader most of the time in either car lol
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Phelansa

Very good points about the battery requirements being lower for the 4600. It makes more of a difference than you think!! Seriosly though, do not discount the Sidewinder or even the Novak XBR/EX 8.5. They are a LOT more powerfull than you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.