Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Rising Storm

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Rising Storm

I know this isnt a great buggy above all others out there but my younger brother picked this kit up cheap and is wanting me to build it. It comes with a stock motor etc.. But if anyone has one or knows about these buggies what would be a good motor, esc to drop into it? Castle Creation has some nice set ups I have some knowledge and have used then before so what are you "Electric Guru's" thoughts.. I dont run much electric I'm ore a nitro and gas guy..

So basically I am asking what would be a good motor,esc and battery set up? He will be driving this thing on road and off...

Thanks for your help..

Old 03-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Phelansa

Default RE: Tamiya Rising Storm

Hi there,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DF02. Sure there are newer faster designs. But very very few of them will ever be as tough as the "Old" DF02. One example of Tamiya over engineering is the metal internals for the diffs. I have been running Brushless setups in mine for ages and have never needed to touch the Diffs except for topping up the grease.

I will however say that a Mamba Max 5700 is just to much power. I would recommend that you look at something like the Novak XBR/EX 8.5 or even the Sidewinder 4600 combo. Both are entry level systems and neither will have that "tear your car apart" type of power. That said...... It will still be devilishly fast!!!! Keep in mind that you cannot fit a slipper to the DF02. That is about the only reason I would not recommend a more powerful motor. One of the Forum member runs a MM7700 in his [:-].

Good luck, and have fun with the build. Shout if there is anything specific you need help with.

Edit: Those two motors will be fine with any good qaulity 6 Cell pack. But to really bring the car to life just drop in an 3000mA 20C 2S LiPo.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
mog ruith

put a mamba 5700kv combo in it and you will strip the spur like i did
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Chriscru

I know this isnt a great buggy above all others out there but my younger brother picked this kit up cheap and is wanting me to build it. It comes with a stock motor etc.. But if anyone has one or knows about these buggies what would be a good motor, esc to drop into it? Castle Creation has some nice set ups I have some knowledge and have used then before so what are you "Electric Guru's" thoughts.. I dont run much electric I'm ore a nitro and gas guy..

So basically I am asking what would be a good motor,esc and battery set up? He will be driving this thing on road and off...

Thanks for your help..

What do you call "a great buggy"?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Phelansa

Stripped the Spur? [:-](It is no "Roth Ramach" thats for sure ).

The worst I did was to crash so spectacularly that I shredded the whole body AND the wing. That is why I run an Gravel Hound body now.

Bigger wheels for extra ground clearance. The XBR/EX has absolutely no problems running the large wheels.

PS Before I get my post deleted again..... Roth Ramach is a Fire Chariot from Irish mythology. Mog Ruith will understand

Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Monsterman--HBF

Cool thanks for all the info guys I'll see what I can come up with...

Chris
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 AM
mog ruith

yup its no roth ramach but it did strip the spur
i dont know how that happen maybe someone can xplain how or why it happen
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
J.D.T

stripping the spur is most commonly full throttle landings off bigger jumps, I have only burnt 4 in nearly 100 hours on these cars, mamba 5700 is okay if you want to run smaller buggy sized tires, I would say get the 4600, it will fast enough on 2s and buggy tires and when he wants to give you nitros a run for the money he can gear it down to 70/16, through some 4 inch tall truck tires on it and get a 3s, the only thing you really need for brushless is the center shaft upgrade in aluminum for like $8 but cvds are available and recommended as the dogbones will pop out if you got the suspension set up real loose or real high. Lots of upgrades are available for these cars and IMO they are the best $100 a basher can spend, tougher than 95% of the 4wd buggies out there, with some homemade hinge pin braces and its got everything covered IMO.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 AM
mog ruith

what i suggest why dont you put in a sidewinder 4600kv combo
like phelansa suggest. cos if your brother is throttle happy like me,
then he too may end up stripping spurs soon....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Monsterman--HBF

ORIGINAL: Phelansa

Hi there,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DF02. Sure there are newer faster designs. But very very few of them will ever be as tough as the "Old" DF02. One example of Tamiya over engineering is the metal internals for the diffs. I have been running Brushless setups in mine for ages and have never needed to touch the Diffs except for topping up the grease.

I will however say that a Mamba Max 5700 is just to much power. I would recommend that you look at something like the Novak XBR/EX 8.5 or even the Sidewinder 4600 combo. Both are entry level systems and neither will have that "tear your car apart" type of power. That said...... It will still be devilishly fast!!!! Keep in mind that you cannot fit a slipper to the DF02. That is about the only reason I would not recommend a more powerful motor. One of the Forum member runs a MM7700 in his [:-].

Good luck, and have fun with the build. Shout if there is anything specific you need help with.

Edit: Those two motors will be fine with any good qaulity 6 Cell pack. But to really bring the car to life just drop in an 3000mA 20C 2S LiPo.
Thanks for the detailed info, could you point me in the direction of the two motor set ups to mentioned? Links to them etc.. I seem to only be good at finding the Castle Creation set ups.. I would like to see the Novak or Sidewinder set ups or a good place to buy them..

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Phelansa

This is a link to the Novak. A little bit more expensive. Smooth as butter and runs very cool. Excellent run times plus it is sensored. So no cogging EVER! Slightly higher KV rating than the Sidewinder 4600 combo. I do mean slightly (5000KV vs 4600KV)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRST1&P=7

And here is the Sidewinder. The best value for money brushless system ut there in my opinion. Sure there are faster more powerful systems. But nothing near this price. Just keep in mind you will need a $20 Castle Link with the first Sidewinder you purchase.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJJ3&P=ML

You can find the Sidewinder cheaper. But after my 90 day wait to receive my stuff from them I just flat out refuse to recommend B-P-P to anybody!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Monsterman--HBF

Thanks for those links Phelansa I'll be placing an order with Tower this week

Chris
Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 AM
J.D.T

don't forget the 06 module pinions

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX39&P=7

the car will only take 16-22 but I would just get 16-19 (19 included with kit so not really needed) as you will need to change the spur to the 67 tooth to use 20-22
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Monsterman--HBF

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

don't forget the 06 module pinions

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX39&P=7

the car will only take 16-22 but I would just get 16-19 (19 included with kit so not really needed) as you will need to change the spur to the 67 tooth to use 20-22
Thanks man I'll get a few extra spurs and pinion gears also.. What would be a good set of MT tires/wheels for the Storm?? I think I'd like a little more ground clearance..

Thanks again for everyones advice/help

Chris
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
J.D.T

I like the hpi wheels, many styles to pick from in black, white, chrome etc, etc

I run a couple sets of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM875&P=7

but these will work also

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZC9&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWX57&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWZ9&P=7

on a four inch tire with a standard all around tread like

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDU11&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUM92&P=ML

for serious mud or heavy grass

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT92&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT93&P=7

you will need to stick to a lower kv brushless motor and gear to 70/16 to keep the temps down, the mamba 4600 is a nice basher on 2s and a real beast on 3s with this setup, its like the four wheel drive stamped I always wanted.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
mog ruith

hey phelansa are those alloy shock from 3racing or yeah racing?
i did a search on rcmart but could only find the rear tower instead of front towers
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
J.D.T

gpm and yeah both make front and rear shock towers, it looks like the only one dinball/rcmart has right now for the front is the red gpm one and the square racing carbon fibre one, appears everyone wants blue, the front tower is the weakest part of the car, I actually run the gpm one in the stock location but have the sqaure carbon one bolted on the front of it, works great looks great, no failures since I went with both, my buddy is using two sqaure ones and its fine also. If you have access to a duratrax dealer the evader bx front and rear shocks will work great on a df 02, just don't forget the little bushings, I went with them as its much easier to track down rebuild parts for duratrax than gpm here in the US.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
mog ruith

yes everyone wants blue including me as well thats why i have ask where i can get those blue front tower
by the way i got to agree the front tower is the weakest part of the car
its a great buggy to have if you are just bashing but i dont want to keep replacing towers everytime i bash
and one question can this bugger take a brushless heard it can but when i ran it with my mamba max 5700 combo the spur strips
im running 67t spur and 19t pinion
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM
J.D.T

I ran the mamba max 5700 on 6 cells, 2s and eight cells without any problems geared 70/18 and 70/17 with the slightly larger buggy dirt hawg tires without any issues on a variety of terrain, some guys have said the gpm and yeah motor mounts cause issues with spurs but I only have two of the tamiya motor mounts and they don't seem to have any fitment issues, I think I only burnt one spur all last year drag racing a jato on 3s and the small crack in the road got all four wheels just enough off the ground to let it spool up and strip the spur on landing while full throttle, I have never burnt a spur on dirt or grass even with big 4 inch truck tires and 3s as the traction is just not good enough.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
redraze

I ordered the RS from my lhs and should be getting it in a week or 2. I have a mm5700 and will be keeping the buggy stock and I want to know will the 20t pinion be ok to run with the 70t spur or should I get a lower tooth pinion? Also I want to run 3S lipo, will it handle all this on dirt and grass?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Phelansa

That is way to much power for the DF02.

I would not go more than 2S with a MM5700. You will have heat issues on 3S. No way to lower the gearing sufficiently.

BTDT.....
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
J.D.T

I agree the 5700 will be hotter than heck on 3s and those 60 mph crashes are just brutal, the stock gearing is 70/19 so going up one tooth should not be an issue with the stock tires but I would get a temperature gauge just to be safe and run it 70/19 and check it
Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
jsmithy

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

If you have access to a duratrax dealer the evader bx front and rear shocks will work great on a df 02, just don''t forget the little bushings, I went with them as its much easier to track down rebuild parts for duratrax than gpm here in the US.
Does the DF-02 have as much suspension travel as the Evader BX? Doesn''t seem like it would, but I have not seen a DF-02 in person.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
redraze

whoa!! 60mph... I think 2S will be fine then. I killed my rusty with this mm5700 and 3S
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Phelansa

Lol. Yeah, Mambas and 3S have been known to "kill" RC cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.