Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Yeah me too....I did see a reveiw once from a boat guy and he said the range was really good..the only problem he had is he could not get full reverse...so he opened it up and had to file out a bit of plastic in the trigger slot and then it was ok....
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 AM
kilimats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Yeah me too....I did see a reveiw once from a boat guy and he said the range was really good..the only problem he had is he could not get full reverse...so he opened it up and had to file out a bit of plastic in the trigger slot and then it was ok....
indeed, that guy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987019

He eve posted a DIY on how to fix the reverse, nice

cant wait. the AM is driving crazy. the car is unreliable past 20 meters (Lots of electric lines where I play)

Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 AM
kilimats

and a new problem to my endless list

the ESC is blinking green after being turned on, the front wheel can be controlled but the trigger speed does nothing, it blinks green forever. Only the first sound stage can be heard, second never

any ideas [] ?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM
redfisher1974

Allways with the bad news....
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
electricrcdude

Who distributes GPM? The website says rcninja.com, but the site will not come up. Thanks  for the link by the way. 
Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Willystylz

kilimats do u have a manual for that esc.......if not go to castle creations and they should have one for download, sometimes the troubleshooting section can be helpful, it should at least tell you what the blinking green light means.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
redfisher1974

I turned 35 yesterday and the wife is letting me order one of the new 1/16 vxl e-revo's with second battery and series adapter....I cant wait 50+mph in a 1/16...Awsome.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

kilimats do u have a manual for that esc.......if not go to castle creations and they should have one for download, sometimes the troubleshooting section can be helpful, it should at least tell you what the blinking green light means.
Thanks for the tip Willystylz, I went to their website and downloaded the Instruction PDF: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...er%20Guide.pdf

Solution is on page 12:

How to calibrate the ESC.

We recommend removing your pinion gear before calibration as a
safety precaution!

STEP 1: We’re starting with the transmitter ON and the ESC switched OFF and
not connected to the battery.

STEP 2: Plug a battery into your Mamba Max ESC.

STEP 3: Hold full throttle on the transmitter and switch the ESC’s switch ON.
Keep holding full throttle on the transmitter. If all your connections are correct, you
will hear one multi-toned initialization “ring” from the motor (all tones are played by
the ESC vibrating the motor). This tone should always play when the ESC is first
powered up.

STEP 4: After a second or two, the green LED on the ESC will blink rapidly and
the motor will “ring” 4 times rapidly in a row (accepting the full throttle endpoint).

STEP 5: After the green LED flashing and ringing tones, the ESC will blink the red
LED. At this point the full throttle endpoint has been set within the ESC and now
it’s looking for the full brake endpoint (red LED blinking). Move the throttle trigger
to the full brake position and hold full brake.

STEP 6: After a few seconds, the ESC will flash the red LED and ring 4 timesrapidly (accepting full brake endpoint).

STEP 7: After accepting the full brake endpoint the ESC will then blink the yellow
LED. Now relax the trigger to the neutral position.

STEP 8: The ESC will now ring 4 times and flash the yellow LED rapidly to accept
the neutral position.

STEP 9: After accepting the neutral position the ESC will ring twice and flash ALL
the LEDs. This is the arming tone/LED reaction. The ESC IS NOW ARMED and
the car will respond to throttle inputs from your transmitter.
Once calibrated, the ESC will give the initialization tone and flash after a battery
is plugged in and the switch is turned on, and the arming tone will ring a second
or two later. If the ESC is programmed for the Auto-Lipo setting, it will beep the
number of cells in your Lipo pack between the initialization tones and the arming
tones. After the arming tone plays, the ESC is ACTIVE and will respond to throttle
application.

If you have problems calibrating your transmitter with the Mamba Max ESC,
please see the troubleshooting guide on page 33 for more tips.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
tkopper

hey hows it going, i am planning to buy the efirestorm 10t flux, anybody know how fast this will go on a 7 cell 4600mAh battery, and is this a good truck to bash around.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:04 PM
redfisher1974

just over 40mph and yes its a great basher......And Welcome.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Willystylz

yup it's one of the better ones out there for durability, and has an all-metal tranny so you can throw in whatever motor u want
Old 06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Paron34
My Feedback: (1)

Hello to all
Spent the last 2 nights reading this entire thread,And now Ihave a few questions. First off I'm looking to go brushless and im trying to choose between a few differnt combo system's.
Right now it looks to be between the Mamba Max 4600/5700 or the Novak 3's Ballistic 8.5T. Im looking to make a good cross trainer , mostly on road and hard pack dirt. Iwant a cool running system with speeds between 35 and 45 MPH,any suggestions would help. I know I also need a good battery ,Idont wanna run 3's lipo's thats for sure, so I was thinking of mabye a 2's 6500 Mhz Maxamp, but dont wanna spend 300 on battery charger combo. Can I buy the battery from Max amp and get a cheaper charger/balancer that wont burn my house down and make me waste 150 bucks ?. Iwant tosimplfy this as much as possible,since I havent bought a new RCsince 1987 lol. please be gental !"
Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 AM
redfisher1974

If you want simple just by the Flux...it has a motive esc with the 5700kv motor and then get 2 zippy 4000mah 2s lipo from hobby city for $28 each and they have a charger for under $50...And bam you have a 44mph basher that will run for 45 minutes with the two batteries......cheers.

That is unless you already have the 10t non-flux version...then i would go with the Havoc 3s 8.5 ballistic.....with above batts. and charger which thier is a link for somewhere around here.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Willystylz

Just a FYI there's much better deals lately than Maxamps.  They do make good batteries, but definitely the performance of them do not justify the price.  I have a couple of the Maxamps 5250mah 2S and although they're good, they're definitely priced higher than a lot of the competition's batteries that perform as well or better.  A good charger for example would be the Duratrax Onyx 230 ac/dc which goes for $80 on tower.  But then you'd need a balancer to go with it for about $30.  Some lipo chargers have the balancer built in but you'd have a hard time finding one for less than $100, especially an AC/DC one.  Although there are the made-in-China ones.    Just a note when buying lipos you need to know what kind of balancing tap the battery has cause there's probably about 4 or 5 popular standards out there.  So it's just a matter of buying the approprIate harness for your balancer.   Have fun!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Paron34

Yeah Ive already got the 10T "noneflux" wanted to upgrade with something that can run 3's maybe sometime in the furture, and I knew the flux couldnty really handle 3's or 8 cells perfectly. From the looks of it I might just go with a Max amp charger/battery/balancer. Still not sure on the brushless system ? I just want somewhat better than entery level stuff.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Paron34

OK I did it I bought the Balastic 8.5T system combo with the mother cooling set up. Also purchased the Maxamp 2s 6500 Hardcase charger combo so all together little less than 500 dollar's. Now i need to get street tires ... will i need change the gearing alot to prevent overheating ?.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
redfisher1974

wow thats a lot of money...should be a nice setup...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
redfisher1974

best thing is to get a temp gauge and check the temps...if not a 17 to 18 tooth pinion should be good...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
redfisher1974

what is the "mother cooling setup"?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 PM
tkopper

ok, thats good to know. one last question, are there any problems that will occur with the brushless firestorm? if so,what are they, Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
kilimats

redfisher, I was wondering how you mounted that motor heatsink you got from ebay, got it in my hand but not sure how to install it
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Paron34

LOL I was tired and misspelled motor !! motor cooling system. How does this Novak Ballistic 8.5T hold up to the Mamba Max's Ive heard so much about ,save they like to overheat badly. Also orderd some T-bone racing bumper's, was hoping I could find some aluminum bumper's.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: kilimats

redfisher, I was wondering how you mounted that motor heatsink you got from ebay, got it in my hand but not sure how to install it
Its a little tricky but it does go on here is a pic it has to go forward toward the front of the car...it should slide on then you have to rotate it to this postion....hard to explain but you have to get it buy the wires and then rotate it into postion...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11079.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1218574  
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: tkopper

ok, thats good to know. one last question, are there any problems that will occur with the brushless firestorm? if so,what are they, Thanks
Depends how you drive...if your hard on it you might break the odd part...but if you take care of it ,you should be alright.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Paron34

LOL I was tired and misspelled motor !! motor cooling system. How does this Novak Ballistic 8.5T hold up to the Mamba Max's Ive heard so much about ,save they like to overheat badly. Also orderd some T-bone racing bumper's, was hoping I could find some aluminum bumper's.
Its hard to say..as not many people have the ballistic yet....but it should be fine...Should run the same as the havoc sport but with the option of going 3s....I have seen someone run it with 3s and a 24t pinion to reach 56mph...but thats pushing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.