Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 429 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

well you have the top big guys, Losi and Ae, they make a nice st, for racing and such, then you have your more starter st's like Evaders Rustlers that type thing so the markets full its covered from Expert to Beginner, will HPI be able to make a stab and take or have a spot with these St's/trucks that have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?
    6S E-maxx - 4S slash - 2S TT-01E

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys. It has been advertised that the E-Firestorm is brushless ready. I have the red one with everything stock. I would like to shift to brushless soon, but I'd like to assume that I don't need to replace my batteries, ESC and gear combinations anymore as it is considered "brushless" ready. Am I correct in my assumption? If otherwise, can someone recommend good but affordable brands for the brushless motor, ESC, etc. Many thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

well you have the top big guys, Losi and Ae, they make a nice st, for racing and such, then you have your more starter st's like Evaders Rustlers that type thing so the markets full its covered from Expert to Beginner, will HPI be able to make a stab and take or have a spot with these St's/trucks that have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?
    You missed the most common area. HPI has filled the void between a cheap inexpensive entry level truck and a top of the line set-up. The E-Firestorm falls right in the middle and has the price of the less expensive trucks and the quality parts of the more expensive trucks where they are needed. Effectively bridging the gap between the two.

I have had mine out about 30 times now and have bashed it pretty good including landing upside down off a second story. I have only broke 2 ball studs. I have been running with guys who have Losi, AE and Traxxas vehicles and I can tell you mine has had far less down time then any of their trucks. The only difference I have found when sport racing is the AE had better handling out of the box. However I through some AE shocks on mine and set-up and now feel it handles just as well.

I purchased one of the first E-firestorms from my lhs then they didn't sell much of them cause people were skeptical like yourself. Last week 4 guys were watching us race and after seeing my truck perform against the AE and Losi trucks 3 of them bought the E-Firestorm. I asked them why the decided to get it and they said simply "Best bang for the buck". I would agree.
    HPI: E-Firestorm with Sidewinder and E-Firestorm with Novak
    Team Associated: SC10 in progress

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: green_overcomer

Hi guys. It has been advertised that the E-Firestorm is brushless ready. I have the red one with everything stock. I would like to shift to brushless soon, but I'd like to assume that I don't need to replace my batteries, ESC and gear combinations anymore as it is considered "brushless" ready. Am I correct in my assumption? If otherwise, can someone recommend good but affordable brands for the brushless motor, ESC, etc. Many thanks!

I am pretty sure you have to replace the ESC. The one it comes with is rated for 15 turn brushed motors and above. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.
    E-firestorm MMP 5700 Hitech 925 MG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: green_overcomer
    You need to replace the stock ESC and motor with a brushless ESC and motor. Your batteries will need high current connectors that you will need to solder on such as Deans connectors or Traxxas high current connectors.

The best deal out there right now is the Sidewinder 5700 system (brushless ESC and motor combination) for about $130-150 depending on where you buy them and what discounts are available at the time. 5700 is good because it is fast on 6 cells.

For batteries you should at least be running 3000 mAh 6 cell stick packs...even Venoms work. Of course you'll get even greater performance out of better batteries.

Stock gearing works fine on an E-Firestorm with Sidewinder 5700.

My friend has a red E-Firestorm also. Completely stock except for the Sidewinder 5700 system. He used Deans plugs for the batteries and ESC. Just to be on the safe side we swapped out the connectors on his Castle motor (there can be some reliability issues with the original connectors ... which may be more noticable when running lower quality batteries like Venom 3000/3600 batteries) for 4 mm CC Bullets.

I've also got the Sidewinder 5700 in my E-Firestorm.

"Brushless Ready" is more or less referring to the fact that HPI incorporated an all-metal transmission and sealed gear differential that can reliabily withstand the stresses of brushless power.
    Savage Flux 2200Kv | E-Savage Trophy Truck 3100Kv | EX-1 Buggy 2200Kv | E-Firestorm Baja Bug 5700Kv | GB-01 Buggy 5400Kv

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you DARKWAV for the comprehensive response. I'll see if I can order some from Towerhobbies soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia
    have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?
    Most people aren't racing at the pro level, they are racing at the club level where even a rustler can get 3rd or 4th place (in a race of 6) if it is set up and driven well. The E-firestorm might not make all the sacrifices that a T4 or XXX-T makes as far as weight, but it is 80% of the way there and club level racing just isn't that competitive to the point where it will make a noticeable difference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spiffy shocks just dying to be on the E-Firestorm...

*drool*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57389.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	914844  
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pictures of my E-Firestorm...

Name:	Ca82814.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	914862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59501.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	914863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21157.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	914864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vo37942.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	914865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al70573.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	914866  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qh66837.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	914867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo13836.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	914868  
    Savage Flux 2200Kv | E-Savage Trophy Truck 3100Kv | EX-1 Buggy 2200Kv | E-Firestorm Baja Bug 5700Kv | GB-01 Buggy 5400Kv

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice! Dig the shocks, man.
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More E-Firestorm pictures. In their natural habitat...

Name:	Om31906.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	914956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19282.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	914957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ua70675.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	914958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey69694.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	914959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bm75751.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	914960  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ev24887.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	914961  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

Pictures of my E-Firestorm...

Can you say "sex appeal?"
    Saldly, 98% of teens have switched to rap music, if you\'re part of the other 2% that like real hip-hop put this in your sig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since this is now becoming a pic thread too I decided to jump in!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

More E-Firestorm pictures. In their natural habitat...

DUDE!!!!!! im going to go crazyy waiting on this car and now seeing those pics makes it worse lol
    my hobby shop special ordered the e-firestorm for me and i should have it sometime next week

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to sell my Evader to get one of these. How durable and reliable are they?
    \"My friends don\'\'t know I\'\'m black\"
    Rap - Lies = Hip-Hop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rbjeepthing

T4 shocks?!
    Saldly, 98% of teens have switched to rap music, if you\'re part of the other 2% that like real hip-hop put this in your sig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

T4 shocks?!
    er, no they stocks I believe are threaded, woot, because I love threaded shocks, er, how much pwr does the sidewinder have for it, enough (not lipo), not enough, the only drawback is the ESC on it[&o], dang, makes me wana get one as well
    Axial AX10, \"Irene\" with custom chassis, Thunder Tiger ST-1 [not working]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes those are AE shocks. Stock shocks are plastic threaded shocks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freestylingford

Yes those are AE shocks. Stock shocks are plastic threaded shocks.
    ok, ya, kindof looked like AEs but thought the sock one came with threads, er, how are the stock shocks on it, do they love to leak..... things like that, looks like the e-firestorm w/flux is POPULAR[X(]
    Axial AX10, \"Irene\" with custom chassis, Thunder Tiger ST-1 [not working]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No they don't leak. I guess they will over time. I like the HPI aluminum shocks better but they cost 110 dollars for the whole set and you can only get them from HPI.

Oh and when you get them they are completely disassembled so you get to put them together. But they really make a difference from the the stock ones as far as handling. Go get you one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

T4 shocks?!
    Bingo! They are AE shocks. HPI had a poor selection of springs and AE has a good selection so I purchased their springs however I didn't like the way they fit on the stock HPI shocks. The solution was to retrofit some AE shocks on to the E-Firestorm. The plus side they were slightly cheaper and something different to get people talking.

ORIGINAL: calvino

T4 shocks?!
    er, no they stocks I believe are threaded, woot, because I love threaded shocks, er, how much pwr does the sidewinder have for it, enough (not lipo), not enough, the only drawback is the ESC on it[&o], dang, makes me wana get one as well
    The sidewinder is more then enough power. Lets put it this way 2 guys that work at my lhs have 4wd buggies with the Mamba system and I can keep up with them everywhere except for the chicane. They always pull on me there but I tend to catch up on the straights. However I am mostly running LiPO. Wih NiMH it tends to be a little less punchy obviously but if you keep the momentum up it's still a blast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are these more durable than Rustlers??? Someone with both or that has had a rustler before and owns an e-firestorm please help. Mainly how durable are the common breakable parts like servo savers, servos, castors, stubs, carriers etc... Are they the same as in a stock rustler? or would you say they are more durable? Thanks.
    E-Maxx, Rustler & Stampede XL-5\'s, Stampede VXL, TB02(clone) drift.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thought I would pass along some lessons learned.

- Make sure you have a spare set of dog bones, because if the rear suspension comes apart you may loose a dogbone in the weeds! Why would the rear suspension come apart? …
    - Get a package of 15mm ballstuds. A good solid hit on the rear suspension could shear a ballstud behind the rear shock tower. This has happened to me and I've seen people mention that has happened to them as well. If you get Titanium ballstuds for more strength you'll have to get ball ends to match (until HPI or aftermarket comes out with ballstuds same size as original). When this happens your suspension comes part and you'll throw your dobone into the weeks (or into a pile of similarly sized and colored twigs that will camaflouge your loose dogbone.
    - The one other time my rear suspension came apart was after another solid hit on the rear suspension. Fortunately didn't break a ballstud this time but the turnbuckle popped off and the dogbone went flying into the weeds
    - Check those small M3 nuts at the back of the rear hub carriers. This nut will eventually get loose, fall out, get lost, and the ballstud will work its way out. Right before my aluminum carriers arrived I noticed this nut was gone and the ballstud was about ready to drop out. Last weekend my friend's rear suspension came apart and his dogbone went flying into the weeds for this same reason.

- I've heard that it is a good idea to add a washer to the screws that retain the suspension shafts/pins at the end of the arms. The head of the screw may not be enough to retain the pin if the suspension takes a big hit. Hasn't happened to me yet. I need to remind myself to add those washers this weekend though.

- If you swap out the stock motor for a new motor or brushless system, mount the motor with the wires facing forward as much as practical as opposed to rearward or straight up. So the way I have it in my pictures isn't the best setup. They way rbjeepthing has it is much better I've already made the correction. I suggested my friend do the same but he waited a little to long and the motor mount ended up taking a nice chunk of insulation off one of his motor wires. Besides cutting insulation or wires you also risk weakinging the connections at the motor or bullet connector if yoy flip and land on the rear portion of the truck.

- If the rear of the truck takes a big hit, like you land straight on the motor from a 6 foot jump, check your gear mesh right away!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only have run the car 4 times now and I love it. It is my first real rc car (took me only 26 years) but the thing is great. My buddy just got the ruster xl-5 and both cars are in stock state so hopefully we can do a pretty good review once we go bashing. His is not completely stock he does have some RPM parts but no other changes. Also we have the same batteries so it will pretty much be a level playing field. Of course it has snowed about 6 inches last night to today so that review will have to wait for a little bit.
    E-firestorm MMP 5700 Hitech 925 MG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Delete
    6S E-maxx - 4S slash - 2S TT-01E

Page 2 of 429 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast