Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Phukkitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Hi everyone,

I kind of need some help with choosing a servo to replace the stock one in my Storm. I ordered a Blue Bird BMS-630MG from Hobbyking, but still after two and a half months they still haven't received any shipments, ETA'sor whatever on it.
They asked if I wanted to get another one that they have in stock, but I have literally no ideas on which ones would be good except the 630...
Think you guys can help me out?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idCategory=84

Also, planning to buy some different size pinion gears since I have bought both bigger and smaller diameter tires recently. Will any pinion fit or is there some measurement I will have to take into consideration?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
nitro-rob

There is a forum in here by someone who converted their nitro FS. From what I remember it didn't handle well but I don't know what he ended up doing with it in the end. Its worth trying out.

Popsi - those leopard motors will fit and any sensorless motor will work with the stock ESC

JB19: there is nothing you need, all is a bonus, though. If this is your first RC I strongly recommend you going through this forum since there is a lot of good information and experience in here.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Cokeguy

ORIGINAL: Phukkitt

Hi everyone,

I kind of need some help with choosing a servo to replace the stock one in my Storm. I ordered a Blue Bird BMS-630MG from Hobbyking, but still after two and a half months they still haven't received any shipments, ETA'sor whatever on it.
They asked if I wanted to get another one that they have in stock, but I have literally no ideas on which ones would be good except the 630...
Think you guys can help me out?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idCategory=84

Also, planning to buy some different size pinion gears since I have bought both bigger and smaller diameter tires recently. Will any pinion fit or is there some measurement I will have to take into consideration?
I know everyone raves about Hitec servo's..... I use them for my SCT's but i tried something different for my Storm and went with a Spektrum servo... Its model S6010... I ve had it for about a year and still going strong.. Its 40 bucks on most sites i paid that at my local hobby shop and so far i love it!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
JB19

Right on. I ended up getting a DuraTrax DTX4600 battery and Onyx 200 charger. Not sure if they are any good, but its worth a shot.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
dwblue00

okay I have a question for you guys instead of trying to sort thru 400 pages of things, I'm looking for wheels for the e firestorm perferrably dish wheels. the only set of wheels I have found is the original hpi dish wheels in black. which black is fine but I would prefer the color white. I have found out that hpi has discontinued the white color and yellow colored wheels for this truck now, if any of you experienced veterans here could possibly tell me where to find these wheels or retrofit another manufactures wheel to the efirestorm that fit s properly that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Phukkitt

ORIGINAL: Cokeguy
I know everyone raves about Hitec servo's..... I use them for my SCT's but i tried something different for my Storm and went with a Spektrum servo... Its model S6010... I ve had it for about a year and still going strong.. Its 40 bucks on most sites i paid that at my local hobby shop and so far i love it!
Thanks, but $40 seems a bit pricey, compared to that the 630MG costs $17 at HobbyKing (if you look at the product long enough a box pops up in the lower right corner offering this price instead of the $30).
Also, I just bash the truck occasionally, so I don't really need something "great", just something that's strong, durable and waterproof/resistant. I would prefer something that is in stock with HK so that they can just change it on my order.

ORIGINAL: dwblue00
okay I have a question for you guys instead of trying to sort thru 400 pages of things, I'm looking for wheels for the e firestorm perferrably dish wheels. the only set of wheels I have found is the original hpi dish wheels in black. which black is fine but I would prefer the color white. I have found out that hpi has discontinued the white color and yellow colored wheels for this truck now, if any of you experienced veterans here could possibly tell me where to find these wheels or retrofit another manufactures wheel to the efirestorm that fit s properly that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I don't have any good alternatives to give you, but try to google "hpi 3090" or "hpi dish wheel white" and you might have some luck finding them in stock somewhere.
I found these two:
This one claim to have them in stock: http://thobbies.com/hpi3090dishwheelwhite222infs.aspx
This one say "usually ships within 3-4 business days", if you're lucky that might mean that their supplier might have them in stock: http://www.activepowersports.com/hpi...222-2-hpi3090/
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
nitro-rob

The storm doesn't need a great servo and you can pretty much run anything. Its 2wd and light so don't worry too much. I think I am running a hitec 5625mg for no particular reason other than I had it around.

edit - 5625 not 5645
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM
dwblue00

I put a Traxxas 2075 digital servo on mine.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 PM
JB19

Just got my FS today!!. I am still waiting for a diff battery so I have to use the one that came with it for now. How long should I expect it to run? can I charge it for longer than the recommended 6 hrs to get some more juice out of it?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 AM
speed lover

I just bit the bullet and bought an electric system for my nitro to electric conversion. I could not turn it down at the price I got it for. It's a Tekin RS PRO ESC with a Tekin Redline 4.5T motor. I might have over done it for power but if it does'nt work well then I was gonna get a Hyper TT to put it in. No idea how I'm gonna get it all together but there's a will so I'll find a way.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
nitro-rob

Thats a 9300kv two pole motor.  I've heard of a person or two running 6900kv castle 2-pole motors in the storm and thought that was pushing it considering how the 5700 has to be geared in the storm to stay cool.   Most run between 3800-5900 kv motors up to 3s for the 2wd stadium truck.  I would definitely watch temperatures.

JP - overcharging will just shorten the battery life.  I've heard 10-15 minutes with the stock battery.

I just added two 8ight T 2.0 and two 8ight B 2.0 to my collection.  Most came from large lots off oevay.  I took an offer I couldn't refuse on my D8 and only had a losi 1.0 buggy so I went hunting.  The buggies are in the mail and the truggy is being rebuilt. 

I haven't stormed in a while but I charged up a battery tonight.  Maybe I will get out the video camera.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 AM
EnglishSamuraii

HI Guys,

When I last used my Storm ( 3 Months ago ) I was having a lot of trouble with it, things were constantly breaking and I ended up soldering a few wires. However, it was running fine for a good few hours when I last used it, but all of a sudden the steering stopped working (Wheels wouldnt turn), and the ESC just started to bleep constantly. Last week I decided to try and fix it, but Im completely mind boggled as to what is wrong. I have a feeling either the Servo or the ESC has packed up. 

ESC - Castle SV2
Motor- The one that comes with the Sv2 package. ( Cant remember name sorry.)
Servo- STOCK.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM
nitro-rob

Do you have a way to apply 6v to the receiver?  Try unplugging the ESC from the receiver and then trying to turn the servo.  If that doesn't work try putting the servo in the throttle slot of the receiver and see if it works.  Thats a start.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM
JB19

Any ideas on how to keep my ESC down? i have had the car for a week and the ESC keeps coming loose. I have taped it with double sided tape like 3-4 times.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
nitro-rob

Novak sells a two-sided tape that is excellent.  Its like a gel.  Is the tape maybe not sticking properly?  Did you clean the surface well to get rid of any oils or grease?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 AM
JB19

Yeah i cleaned it. I was thinking maybe even velcro or Double Bouble. I'll look into that tape though. So besides the ESC i have also, blown a bearing out of a rear hub, some how melted a rear hub, got the hex boltstuck into both rims, lost a pin that holds the hexbolt in place on the axel.Destroyed the body and it keeps pushing over the mounting post. Also, thepinion gear keeps coming loose. But, i have been beating it pretty hard. Taking it on 10-12 ft dirt /sand jumps with about 17 ft of distance.Its about 120+ degreeshere somotor and battery are onfire.I would say i beat it beyond what it was designedfor. Plus, im new so im not that good at landing.I amhappy though. I will haveto put some videos up. Deff not a cheap hobby. HOw do you guys bash your trucks.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 AM
popsi

I can buy a 5400kv motor from a friend. My question is whether my ESC (Castle Sidewinder v2) will handle it, since the motor is rated at 115 Amps? Will I fry my ESC?
Will going to a smaller pinion help anything?

This is the motor sepcs:
Max. Current: 115A
Lipo Cell: 2 - 3s
Max. Power: 1300W
Rotational Speed: 5400KV
Resistance: 0.0043
No-load Current (7.4v): 5.9A

Thanks...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
popsi

ORIGINAL: JB19

Any ideas on how to keep my ESC down? i have had the car for a week and the ESC keeps coming loose. I have taped it with double sided tape like 3-4 times.

I used some double sided "pad" my wife use for scrapbooking, it's normally a big sheet you cut however you like. Have worked out great, it's even a little soft to take out some vibrations.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM
EnglishSamuraii

Nitro-rob, I dont unfortunately
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
speed lover

What kind of temps are verging on the hot side for a Tekin motor anyone know ?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM
nitro-rob

Samurai, the only thing you can do is call support or find a nitro guy that has a transmitter battery pack you can use - or someone else with a compatible electric you can swap parts with to isolate the problem.  Servos are cheap, though, and the likely problem.

JB - How do I bash my trucks?  Two ways.  One is on a track which is where most of my driving time is now.  I don't enter races but I prefer a groomed track for most driving.  The other is street bashing of off road vehicles with street setups.  The two categories of driving do not share the same RC.

I recently started driving a losi 8 1.0 set up for street and its been such a good drive that I am thinking of selling some RCs again (I can't believe I am saying this) including my storm.  Likely not the storm since I have a bit more effort into it than others but I am thinking about it.   The losi is not the latest buggy but the parts are compatible with the new version and its still the same quality race roller grade chassis (especially when the 1.0 vs. 2.0 difference are mostly angles and geometry) .  Its hard, for example, to enjoy driving a savage XS when its being compared to an 8th scale buggy of this caliber.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM
nitro-rob

Speed - 175 is the max temp but most people prefer to gear with some safety room.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
abomnable_lemon

Hello all! I just got into this forum, and I own an E-firestorm! Im currently trying to fix it up a bit. The rear wheels are a bit too loose and the top shaft is bent. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
nitro-rob

Welcome abominable.  Looks like you need a new top shaft.  As for slop, it may be normal or check the worn parts - could be a bearing or stretched plastic.

I am thinking of selling my storm, been driving a losi buggy on the street lately instead.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
JB19

Any ideas on how to get my storm to steer a little better? Suspension or a new servo? everything is stock as of right now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.