Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
32_d3gr33s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

put a new body and tires on mine. painted the body myself...

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
nitro-rob

Nice lines with the paint.   Thats the last era of chevy pickups I liked.  SC wheels will likely reduce the stability of the vehicle with loss of width unless you've compensated somehow.  I tried to run SC calibers on mine and it flipped constantly.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
JB19

Any suggestions for Servo and shocks? Trying to clean up the steering a bit
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
DarksideVR

nice body and paint. I haven't had time to play much. But I bash mine just like everyone else. haha Nitro don't sell!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM
speed lover

Trying to find a good set of shocks aswell. Looking at the Losi 22T shocks but there a bit pricey servo's I just got a pair of Savox 1251TG servos 9kg on 6V .09 seconds through 60 deg nice servo for the money. Low profile too. I think JR make the best servos but way too pricey.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM
abomnable_lemon

I fixed my e-firestorm! Here are some of the pictures I took off of my ipod so the quality is terrible[:@]

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
JB19

Is there a secret to not stripping rims? i just put a pair of new Pro-line rims on and stripped them in one run. I thighted them down really good but i guess the nut backed off or something. Also, when my car is sitting still the motor sounds like its winding up even though im not pushihng the throttle. It will even move forward a little bit. What could cause that?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

What would be a good set of upgrade shocks besides the HPI aluminum threaded shocks? Powerstroke shocks perhaps?(Kind of a shot in the dark question there)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM
nitro-rob

Both should be find although the stock shocks, which are basic, work quite well too.
I think my firestorm days may be coming to an end, I bought a losi 22t that should be here this week. The storm hasn't had a lot of driving time lately.

JB - check to see if your throttle trim is slightly forward. If thats not the problem try calibrating the radio again.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
nitro-rob

Losi 22t has come. I am going to start assembling it today. Comparisons to the firestorm are inevitable and coming soon with photos of the two side-by-side. I figure that is relevant to a firestorm thread since a comparison has never been presented in here. Its going to be set up for track running only so I have to change my mindset on a few things from what I know of the firestorm.
Here is a lap my friend recorded last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWlgs9Xyvo&feature=youtu.be
Its nothing special. Iphone quality.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Enzyme80

So I tried to light my brother's basement on fire... Not sure what I messed up or if it was just a bad battery or what. Anyways I was charging a lipo (brand new just 4 runs on it) and and new charger maybe 12 chargers total. Didn't think anything of it but went into the house to find something and noticed a strange smell. My brother's wife goes into the house and can't find the smell but when she is walking downstairs the battery and charger just burst into flames.
I have never seen anything like this. Luckily everyone was fine and not too much damage happened to their basement but I have learned that Lipo batteries are a completely different beast than NiHM.
My wife is making me do some things around the house before I can get a new battery and charger - mainly she wants the nursery completed and soon. So I am out of the hobby for a little but will be back with LiPos again.

And yes lots of drinking was involved.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
nitro-rob

Thats too bad man but luckily all were safe.   Its weird that it happened with new stuff but if there is a problem it happens early when there are defects or later when its worn out.

I had a battery the other day puff a lot on me and it split the case slightly and I discharded it and threw it out.  Getting a few extra charges our of a battery is not worth the possible downside considering what a replacement costs and what it is worth.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 AM
nitro-rob

Thats too bad man but luckily all were safe.   Its weird that it happened with new stuff but if there is a problem it happens early when there are defects or later when its worn out.

I had a battery the other day puff a lot on me and it split the case slightly and I discharded it and threw it out.  Getting a few extra charges our of a battery is not worth the possible downside considering what a replacement costs and what it is worth.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
wanna_be_racer

Hey hey mates. Long time no see.

It hasn't been a good year for me. Money's been tight, school's kept me hella busy, and the trucks just keep breaking. Upside though, did score a Venom V550 system for $45 the other day. Found a guy at the local track who was selling after buying a Castle MMp + 1410. After my 5700 blew up last summer, my poor Storm has sat silent in the corner on my truck garage....UNTIL TONIGHT.

I can see why most people stick to a 540 in something this tiny. Kept doing complete backflips on 3s. Geared it way up (22 or 21 pinion, I think) and grabbed what had to be 60 mph. Wicked fast. Uncontrollable fast. The wet pavement and bald Anaconda's probably didn't help though...

Anyway, I got some Integy hub extenders for the AX10 coming in next week and I'm gonna smack them on the Storm to see how it changes things. (Check 'em here.)

Also, my neighbor gave me his 2nd gen T-maxx 3.3. Needed a little TLC but I've nursed it back to running health. Never had a T before, and decided I'm not a monster truck guy; so if anyone's in the market, hit me up. Radio and all included.

So after a long absence, I bid you all hello.

~ Wanna-be.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Enzyme80

Nitro - it was a pretty crazy scene but could have been much worse.

Wanna-be nice to see you back. I took a while off and am on another break right now until I finish my daughters room (soon to be born and our first kid!!!). Once I have that done I think I will be able to talk my wife into letting me get another battery and charger. Would love to see a pic of the storm once you have the new part on it.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM
nitro-rob

Hey wanna-be, welcome back and congratulations Enzyme on having a new one.  You've been in this forum pretty much from the beginning from what I remember.  What happened to Red?

I had a nice tract to myself for four hours on sunday:  http://www.rcgearhead.com/showthread.php?115-2012-season-Directions-to-the-track-and-photos

and I am dropping off a deposit tonight to rent this track with seven other guys on saturday:
http://www.hardcoreracersrc.ca/media.html 

I also met someone that has invited my friends and I to his personal track that is about 15 minutes away.  Things are looking up...

Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
wanna_be_racer

That looks like a good spot, Nitro. I wish there were more tracks around here. But as I've said before, the indoor track at the lhs is pretty much it. And with the V550 in the Storm, no way would it work in there. So it's still parking lot car chasing for me. lol. Clocked the Storm today with a small onboard gps...with the 21 T it's hitting 61.2 on flat ground. Heavy throttle roll was required to keep the nose down, but it got there. I think my thirst for speed has been satisfied.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
nitro-rob

I'm setting up my 22t now for a track and regret selling my novak 10.5t motor.  I have an SCT motor in it for now but I want something smoother.  Bash setups don't work well when you want true control.  

I was thinking of bolting a losi 2400kv buggy motor in my storm and gearing it to the moon with the 77t spur but I figured it would blow up or fly away with that setup.  I've had problems getting my storm to stay in control in the high 50's and geared it for 50ish. 

Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 AM
wanna_be_racer

Passed the 50 mark it is nigh uncontrollable, I agree. The nose is almost never on the ground to steer. Specially with a T-Bone bumper. It acts like a wing and just pushes it up. I have had no issues with heat, so I'm gonna try adding some of my aluminum stuff that I've kept from installing with a 540 motor. Just because I like the look aluminum gives it. I won't go bulletproof style with it, just a little hear and there and mix some carbon fiber on the less vulnerable parts, as you did with your build, Nitro. Still working on that aluminum plate chassis. I'll have to dig it out and see where I left off on it...cuz I honestly don't remember. lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Enzyme80

Thanks man! Yeah - I was just starting this hobby (well just getting back into it after 20 or so years) when the e-firestorm was new and found the thread. I was amazed by the size of the truck - hence the picture of the tire w/ a quarter.
This truck is still great. It can take a beating that is for sure. My only gripe is the light front end but that can be taken care of for the most part.

I haven't seen Red on this forum at all in a long time. I assume he got lost in the world of Reddit or something like that but hey we all need a break sometimes.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM
nitro-rob

You were the fourth post in this thread. 

I put the castle SCT 3800 motor back in mine with 83/24 gears and the low profile road rage II tires.  It has insane speed and wheelies on command (even with 70% punch control) and I blow a tire of the bead every time I take it out.  150F after 20 min  in 75 F weather. There is quite a difference with this motor and the 1406-4600 kv motor.  I took the telemetry off for another vehicle I drive more which cleaned up the wiring a little bit as well.  

The motor came from my savage XS.  Selling that thing. 

I have a novak ballistic 8.5T (5000kv) motor coming in this week.  I had the 10.5T motor in the storm (think it was my first) and found it to be very low on power but it was very smooth.   We'll see how the lower wind does.  Its going to be run on 2s only.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
EnglishSamuraii

Hi guys,

My Servo ( HPI Sf-10w ) in my HPI E-Firestorm recently got fried. So I am looking upgrading to a better servo. IM am currently running with 2s Zippy LiPos, a Castle SV2 Sidewinder ESC and a Castle 1406 Neu Motor. Does anybody have any recommendations for a better servo? Im thinking of this - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-sf-5...roducts/363700 ( I know that the price is a lot, but thats the UK for you...)

P.S Please use Servos listed on this website as its based in the UK and is easier/quicker for me.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
nitro-rob

I learned a lesson today - had a thunderpower battery fail and they wouldn't fully warranty it because I used a soft pack in a surface vehicle. Technically against warranty.  I am still disappointed in that battery - although it was used out of its intended application I am very familiar with every minute of its use and am certain this wasn't an issue.

Here is a tip.  They followed up with a question about what application the battery was used in. My advice is to always say you use it in the right application regardless of where it was used I was honest and shouldn't have been.

I am finding the TP batteries to be just as reliable/unreliable as the other brands - they are by far not special as far as durability goes, but they do hold their reputation for performing well and I do trust their C-rating.  I've had good luck with venom and I plan on trying out Reedy as well but there is no need to try thunderpower anymore for me in this flooded battery market....except for the 50% discount I can get on my last thunderpower battery order (the consolation of the warranty).
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 AM
quadracer707

hi
im new to the rc cars and got a e firestorm flux brushless for my first car after using it for a while my esc went out and i am clueless on what kind i need to replace it i dont want the stock one just something that will last longer and maybe a fan on it any help would me great
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: quadracer707

hi
im new to the rc cars and got a e firestorm flux brushless for my first car after using it for a while my esc went out and i am clueless on what kind i need to replace it i dont want the stock one just something that will last longer and maybe a fan on it any help would me great
You have warranty for three months and can just return it to HPI. Otherwise you can send the ESC to castle creations and get it replaced for I think $35: http://www.castlecreations.com/support.html
but if you want something else there is the mamba max pro which is overkill for this truck but its a great ESC. Other than that there aren't many others in here that people run besides the pro and sidewinder that you already have. I've heard the dyamite ESC is okay and I've would look into the new venom 80A ESC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.