Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
kevinschneider22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

where is the cheapest place to get one of these?!! HPI's website says the blue firestorm has the optional brushless setup. so wuoldnt it be a flux then?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 AM
e-firestormer

thats a great idea. I will try it on my next set of tires.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kevinschneider22

where is the cheapest place to get one of these?!! HPI's website says the blue firestorm has the optional brushless setup. so wuoldnt it be a flux then?
The video was made before the E-Firestorm Flux was announced. I guess they were trying to demonstrate the truck was brushless ready, and that a brushless system would eventually become available. Worked for me! I picked up an E-Firestorm the day the initial shipments made it out the LHS, and dropped in a brushless Sidewinder system shortly after those hit the shelves
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
vendettaoutlaw

NEW PAINT NO DECALS YET
Image Hosting
Image Hosting
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
kevinschneider22

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

The video was made before the E-Firestorm Flux was announced. I guess they were trying to demonstrate the truck was brushless ready, and that a brushless system would eventually become available. Worked for me! I picked up an E-Firestorm the day the initial shipments made it out the LHS, and dropped in a brushless Sidewinder system shortly after those hit the shelves

DARKWAV... i have seen a pic of your truck early on in this thread and fell in love! haha so do you have a standard 10 with the brushless system in it?! how much does a brushless set up, and whats good? Im just getting back into the hobby.... bear with me. Also what all do you have set up wise for your truck? And thanks for your help and advice!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Enzyme80

DARKWAV... i have seen a pic of your truck early on in this thread and fell in love! haha so do you have a standard 10 with the brushless system in it?! how much does a brushless set up, and whats good? Im just getting back into the hobby.... bear with me. Also what all do you have set up wise for your truck? And thanks for your help and advice!

I am running the e-firestorm w/ a brushless setup. I went through bishop power for the motor / esc. I went with the Sidewinder 4600 combo for like $130. The truck flies with it but if you are going brushless make sure you get some really good batteries otherwise you will have "turbo" lag. Under WOT it is a little hard to keep the front wheels down but a little weight has pretty much solved that problem. I probably could have done more with the shocks and overall setup to fix it but the weight works just as well for now. Overall the truck is pretty tough and after a year of some pretty decent bashing I have only broke one rear A-Arm (at least I think that is what it is called).
Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
meanstreak1

ORIGINAL: bigmd74

mercer here is an email right from the company
The PRC178 is the complete E-Firestorm Carbon Fiber kit. This kit includes PRC175, PRC176, PRC177. The kit is $31.50USD and I do have this in stock. Otherwise the parts are each are listed as follows.

PRC175-Battery Tie-down-$15.50
PRC176-Servo Brace-$8.50
PRC177-Front Brace-$10.00
Is the upper brace any stronger than OEM or just lighter?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
bigmd74

its carbon fiber so i guess.but if you hit anything hard enough it will break.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 PM
mercerbeef

bigmd- those look sweet, soons i get a chance i'm gonna order a set.
forgot who asked but if your looking for a motor heatsink, i pick one up at the lhs, its stamped eagle racing, it sits on the motor and the fins are front to back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56349.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1121112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31190.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1121113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82847.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1121114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75994.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1121115  
Old 01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
bigmd74

thanks.i bought them mainly for the looks.much better then the plastic factory stuff.i wish more companies like RPM,PROLINE ,EYC... would come out with some stuff for our Firestorm.HPI makes some stuff but i cant see spending almost 50 bucks on a alum knuckle.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM
mercerbeef

thats why i got mine from hotracing the front bulk head and arm mount brace was only $28, the steering knuckles and hubs were about the same, but i had to look under the nitro firestorms parts list
Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
kevinschneider22

Just bought mine! What all needs to be adjusted on these and what are the break in procedures. Just a bone stocker for now. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought mine! What all needs to be adjusted on these and what are the break in procedures. Just a bone stocker for now. Thanks everyone!
if it's a stock 10T...nothing just drive it they are bullet proof at stock speeds... and in a few days when its too slow(and it will be) go brushless...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM
redfisher1974

I was parting out my old TL01 and found that the heatsink and the esc fan fit perfect on the firestorm...now i just need to upgrade to a good lipo.....[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14470.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1125354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26162.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1125355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39614.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1125356  
Old 02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
DARKWAV

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't taken many more pictures of the truck since the ones in this post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7344472

Older pictures are here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7290556

Yes I bought the brushed version for $189. It took another 6 months it seems before the E-Firestorm Flux hit the shelves. Went with the Sidewinder 5700 system for $130. I would just recommend going right for the Flux though, better value. ESC is the same as the Sidewinder but the Motor is user-servicable…and black! I would only go for the brushed version if you're looking for a 60 MPH setup and want to put the money saved towards a more powerful brushless setup. I'm perfectly happy with the 2S 5700Kv setup which is more speed than you need for even an 1/8 scale track.

Current Mods:
Castle Sidewinder 5700
Futaba R603FF 2.4G Receiver
Futaba 3PKS-2.4 Transmitter
Futaba S3305 metal gear servo
HPI Firestorm Shocks
HPI Titanium Turnbuckles
HPI aluminum front suspension mount
HPI aluminum front brace
HPI Dish Wheels Black
HPI DSX-2 shell painted black, white, and silver
HPI Springs (various)
Pro-Line Tires (various)
T-Bone Racing front and rear bumpers
Deans
CC Bullets 4mm
Reedy 5000 mAh 20c Pro LiPo
Yeah Racing 5000 mAh 25C LiPo
Associated 30K weight gear diff oil

Previous Mods:
HPI aluminum rear hub carriers (removed -> caused a lot of ball stud breakage and thrown dogbones!)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
kevinschneider22

Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't taken many more pictures of the truck since the ones in this post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7344472

Older pictures are here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7290556

Yes I bought the brushed version for $189. It took another 6 months it seems before the E-Firestorm Flux hit the shelves. Went with the Sidewinder 5700 system for $130. I would just recommend going right for the Flux though, better value. ESC is the same as the Sidewinder but the Motor is user-servicable…and black! I would only go for the brushed version if you're looking for a 60 MPH setup and want to put the money saved towards a more powerful brushless setup. I'm perfectly happy with the 2S 5700Kv setup which is more speed than you need for even an 1/8 scale track.

Current Mods:
Castle Sidewinder 5700
Futaba R603FF 2.4G Receiver
Futaba 3PKS-2.4 Transmitter
Futaba S3305 metal gear servo
HPI Firestorm Shocks
HPI Titanium Turnbuckles
HPI aluminum front suspension mount
HPI aluminum front brace
HPI Dish Wheels Black
HPI DSX-2 shell painted black, white, and silver
HPI Springs (various)
Pro-Line Tires (various)
T-Bone Racing front and rear bumpers
Deans
CC Bullets 4mm
Reedy 5000 mAh 20c Pro LiPo
Yeah Racing 5000 mAh 25C LiPo
Associated 30K weight gear diff oil

Previous Mods:
HPI aluminum rear hub carriers (removed -> caused a lot of ball stud breakage and thrown dogbones!)
Thanks for ALL of the info! So what parts would you say are absolutely impairative to have for this truck? I bought my truck from amainhobbies for 159.00 shipped!! Also do i need to swap my front springs with the rears?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Hey firestormers. I am waiting for my Hobbywing 10T brushless setup to arrive this week. So far I have installed a Spektrum DX3 radio system, a Telebee gyro for drift control, and T Bone bumpers. The brushless is the last piece I need to have a sweet setup. Come on UPS!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
DARKWAV

Thanks for ALL of the info! So what parts would you say are absolutely impairative to have for this truck? I bought my truck from amainhobbies for 159.00 shipped!! Also do i need to swap my front springs with the rears?
- Brushless system (because it's fun)
- T-Bone bumpers (rear bumper especially)
- Gear Diff Oil (if just for bashing than 30K or 60K is great because it doesn't seep out so quick)

If racing, also get:
- Pro-Line tires to match track surface conditions
- Softer springs
- 25 wt shock oil

Stiff springs in back good for bashing to support the heavier rear-end of the truck. But i've been told ...generally speaking... softer springs are better in back for racing, perhaps it is more for improving traction than anything else I'm guessing. I'm not much of a racing expert though, only been out a few times myself.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Enzyme80

did the new servo and radio help out? I have been looking and am thinking about the same servo but w. the 3PM Futuba (dont have 200 extra right now.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 AM
JIMbEEzEE

ive had my firestorm for about 2-3 weeks and i shattered my bevel gears in the diff the small ones connected to the hubs and the other is missing 1 tooth if i seal the gears inside what will that do? im new and im not sure should i just get the replacement parts
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JIMbEEzEE

ive had my firestorm for about 2-3 weeks and i shattered my bevel gears in the diff the small ones connected to the hubs and the other is missing 1 tooth if i seal the gears inside what will that do? im new and im not sure should i just get the replacement parts
No way, call HPI, they will send you the parts.

I will be trying out my new EZRun 10T brushless system today. I need to check my gearing and see if it needs changes.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
bigmd74

well,i couldnt resist.i havent had the FLUX out in a while because of all the snow here in Jersey.so i took it out in the street which i vowed never to do again after a bad crash.well,what do you think happened.yep i hit a car tire and left half of the front suspension wedged under the tire.so her goes another rebuild.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
kevinschneider22

Hey everyone, ive started a thread in the HPI off-road forum for tuning/ mods tips for our trucks. So if anyone has anything they've done post it in the HPI only forum so we all dont have to sort through all of these 50+ pages lol! My truck has been sitting for over a week, still waiting for my batteries and charger to come from hong kong ;( also do batteries come charged already?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 AM
KyoshoFTW

Gettin my firestorm this week from tower I'm looking forward to getting back into the ST scene=.....use to bash around in my XXX-NT, but got into the touring and drift scene scene for awhile. But faster always crashes harder and thus create's a larger financial obligation. My buddy convinced me to start racing electric offroad with him, so some hop ups will soon follow...prob start with the sidewinder set up that everyone seems to love glad to see everyone, for the most part is happy with the firestorm!! Can't wait!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
redfisher1974

You should have got the flux.....You will find the non flux firestorm painfully slow untill you go brushless.....bullet proof but slow....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.