RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Reply
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM
  #1451
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I trolled craigslist for a couple weeks and got a newSpektrum DX3 complete package for $120. Tons of RC stuff shows up on CL.
eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 AM
  #1452
jpvert
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal, QC, CANADA
Posts: 52
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Airtronics/Sanwa is the same company.
jpvert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
  #1453
CAClark
 
CAClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sheffield, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Ok, I just got these wheels, and I can't get them to fit? HPI Says they are option parts for the E-Firestorm, so what am I missing? LOL I'm sure I'm being a dunce!

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=2197

Cheers!
CAClark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 AM
  #1454
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

does it say what mm the hubs are?
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 AM
  #1455
CAClark
 
CAClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sheffield, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

They are 12mm hex, but the look like they are more shallow than the wheels on the flux as standard, but if HPI say they are option parts, they mus fit somehow surely? LOL

Cheers!
CAClark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 AM
  #1456
bigmd74
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: metuchen, NJ
Posts: 243
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

just remember you have to use the rear wheels for the front too.they should fit.
bigmd74 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM
  #1457
Willystylz
 
Willystylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Barrie, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,934
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

just shows how some of us are addicted to RC's. I was up till 2am last night throwing my new brushless system in for the e-firestorm. I was making some test runs up and down the street all in -10C weather LOL! Some would ask why i just didn't buy the Firestorm Flux.....my answer is that i like my cars/trucks to have some personal mods. For some reason i can't stand to run things bone stock. So i've got my LRP speedo coupled with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec 9.5 turns. The one BIG problem i ran into was that i couldn't get an ideal gearing to fit. The biggest pinion i could fit was a 24t for a gear ratio of 9.4:1 . The manual for my motor suggests 8.0:1 for 2wd/4wd off road and 9.0:1 for trucks. Hopefully HPI will make some different size spur gears for the e-firestorm. One suggestion for the gearing would be to go for a lower turn motor but my speedo can only handle over 8.5t brushless. What do u guys think?
Willystylz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
  #1458
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz

just shows how some of us are addicted to RC's. I was up till 2am last night throwing my new brushless system in for the e-firestorm. I was making some test runs up and down the street all in -10C weather LOL! Some would ask why i just didn't buy the Firestorm Flux.....my answer is that i like my cars/trucks to have some personal mods. For some reason i can't stand to run things bone stock. So i've got my LRP speedo coupled with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec 9.5 turns. The one BIG problem i ran into was that i couldn't get an ideal gearing to fit. The biggest pinion i could fit was a 24t for a gear ratio of 9.4:1 . The manual for my motor suggests 8.0:1 for 2wd/4wd off road and 9.0:1 for trucks. Hopefully HPI will make some different size spur gears for the e-firestorm. One suggestion for the gearing would be to go for a lower turn motor but my speedo can only handle over 8.5t brushless. What do u guys think?
I think you will find that 24t pinion is too big and will run way too hot in the summer if you go offroad at all.......I run 19t on my 8.5 havoc and it pulls pretty good.
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
  #1459
CAClark
 
CAClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sheffield, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Ok, they're on, seems they actually are not the best slip on fit like the stock wheels, so just needed a smidge of brute force and ignorance. All fitted now

Cheers all!
CAClark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
  #1460
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: CAClark

Ok, they're on, seems they actually are not the best slip on fit like the stock wheels, so just needed a smidge of brute force and ignorance. All fitted now

Cheers all!
Pics please....
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
  #1461
CAClark
 
CAClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sheffield, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Here are pics of the new ones fitted.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50100.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1135102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32660.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1135103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34581.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1135104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32809.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1135105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57800.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1135106  
CAClark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
  #1462
Willystylz
 
Willystylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Barrie, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,934
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz

just shows how some of us are addicted to RC's. I was up till 2am last night throwing my new brushless system in for the e-firestorm. I was making some test runs up and down the street all in -10C weather LOL! Some would ask why i just didn't buy the Firestorm Flux.....my answer is that i like my cars/trucks to have some personal mods. For some reason i can't stand to run things bone stock. So i've got my LRP speedo coupled with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec 9.5 turns. The one BIG problem i ran into was that i couldn't get an ideal gearing to fit. The biggest pinion i could fit was a 24t for a gear ratio of 9.4:1 . The manual for my motor suggests 8.0:1 for 2wd/4wd off road and 9.0:1 for trucks. Hopefully HPI will make some different size spur gears for the e-firestorm. One suggestion for the gearing would be to go for a lower turn motor but my speedo can only handle over 8.5t brushless. What do u guys think?
I think you will find that 24t pinion is too big and will run way too hot in the summer if you go offroad at all.......I run 19t on my 8.5 havoc and it pulls pretty good.
even though in the lrp manual it says i'm undergeared? A 19t pinion would really make me undergeared for the motor i have it appears..........unless the gearing is much different for this truck (size of tires??)
Willystylz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 AM
  #1463
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

After much experimentation, I have done the final install and config on my FS.

I was using the 2S Zippy battery, but when I got my EZRun I discovered it was way undergeared. As an experiment, I put the fan on the BEC and tried one of my 450 heli lipos. I'm getting top speeds in excess of 40 mph now and everything stays cool. So the new zippy 4000 battery is going up for sale and I'm getting more 3S lipos. It's nice to have everything running on one kind of battery.

When I moved the ESC fan over to the internal BEC, the BEC was overloaded. The Spektrum RX started rebooting at 40 mph. I got an external BEC and the internal BEC only runs the ESC fan now. Everything works fine this way.

I'm going to the beach and run this thing up and down the sandbars for a while. I've got three lipos and two chargers for this car now. Nonstop LOL

eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 AM
  #1464
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz


Quote:
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz

just shows how some of us are addicted to RC's. I was up till 2am last night throwing my new brushless system in for the e-firestorm. I was making some test runs up and down the street all in -10C weather LOL! Some would ask why i just didn't buy the Firestorm Flux.....my answer is that i like my cars/trucks to have some personal mods. For some reason i can't stand to run things bone stock. So i've got my LRP speedo coupled with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec 9.5 turns. The one BIG problem i ran into was that i couldn't get an ideal gearing to fit. The biggest pinion i could fit was a 24t for a gear ratio of 9.4:1 . The manual for my motor suggests 8.0:1 for 2wd/4wd off road and 9.0:1 for trucks. Hopefully HPI will make some different size spur gears for the e-firestorm. One suggestion for the gearing would be to go for a lower turn motor but my speedo can only handle over 8.5t brushless. What do u guys think?
I think you will find that 24t pinion is too big and will run way too hot in the summer if you go offroad at all.......I run 19t on my 8.5 havoc and it pulls pretty good.
even though in the lrp manual it says i'm undergeared? A 19t pinion would really make me undergeared for the motor i have it appears..........unless the gearing is much different for this truck (size of tires??)
Most brushless systems suggest you run one or two teeth smaller then the stock pinion......I and alot of people stay with the stock pinion and are ok...That being said the correct way to gear your setup is by temp.....Get a temp sensor and check the motor temp after a full pack and it should be no hotter then 160 to 170F,Keep in mind it will run hotter offroad then onroad etc....So if its runs 170f onroad you know it will overheat offroad...You can get a temp sensor for 25 bucks off of ebay.....But you should have no problems with the temps in -10 weather...
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
  #1465
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: CAClark

Here are pics of the new ones fitted.

Cheers!
Looks good.....keep the bowtie tires for offroad use...
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
  #1466
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

After much experimentation, I have done the final install and config on my FS.

I was using the 2S Zippy battery, but when I got my EZRun I discovered it was way undergeared. As an experiment, I put the fan on the BEC and tried one of my 450 heli lipos. I'm getting top speeds in excess of 40 mph now and everything stays cool. So the new zippy 4000 battery is going up for sale and I'm getting more 3S lipos. It's nice to have everything running on one kind of battery.

When I moved the ESC fan over to the internal BEC, the BEC was overloaded. The Spektrum RX started rebooting at 40 mph. I got an external BEC and the internal BEC only runs the ESC fan now. Everything works fine this way.

I'm going to the beach and run this thing up and down the sandbars for a while. I've got three lipos and two chargers for this car now. Nonstop LOL

What pinion are you running now?.....guess you can gear up a bit being its only 3900kv....
.. what do you want for the zippy lipo?
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
  #1467
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

It's the stock pinion. That's why I went to the 3S lipo, to bump up the RPMs. I haven't gotten an speed reading yet, but I know it goes faster than 40. If it is still undergeared, I am going to a taller tire. I really want to install some badlands tires anyway.

I'll let you know when I sell the zip.
eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
  #1468
CAClark
 
CAClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sheffield, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 60
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Yeah, they are in the cupboard, but I need to get some bacl wheels now too, as my clear shell arrived today too.... gonna back and white it like the guy posted in this thread (need some masking tape or something first though!

Cheers!
CAClark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
  #1469
KyoshoFTW
 
KyoshoFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 122
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

the wheels look gangster clark! Glad you got them on... I finally got the storm last night! charged up both packs and ran her.... i was quite nervous after reading the posts that say its deathly slow stock but it was a lot better then i expected. im sure that when my sidewinder and other parts come next week ill have a bigger smile. i was definately impressed with this truck, on a side[:@] note..the turning radius sucks, this is limited by the inability to tune the stock radio, swapped my jr stuff over to it and she goes lock to lock now just wanted to share.... have a great weekend all
KyoshoFTW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
  #1470
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: robertbell6

the wheels look gangster clark! Glad you got them on... I finally got the storm last night! charged up both packs and ran her.... i was quite nervous after reading the posts that say its deathly slow stock but it was a lot better then i expected. im sure that when my sidewinder and other parts come next week ill have a bigger smile. i was definately impressed with this truck, on a side[:@] note..the turning radius sucks, this is limited by the inability to tune the stock radio, swapped my jr stuff over to it and she goes lock to lock now just wanted to share.... have a great weekend all
I know mine takes two lanes to turn around if i dont lock her up and spin around..
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM
  #1471
ElectricGuy007
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 5,527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Most brushless systems suggest you run one or two teeth smaller then the stock pinion......I and alot of people stay with the stock pinion and are ok...That being said the correct way to gear your setup is by temp.....Get a temp sensor and check the motor temp after a full pack and it should be no hotter then 160 to 170F,Keep in mind it will run hotter offroad then onroad etc....So if its runs 170f onroad you know it will overheat offroad...You can get a temp sensor for 25 bucks off of ebay.....But you should have no problems with the temps in -10 weather...
I got lucky and chose a brushless system where I could keep using the stock pinion. I'm sure if I ever decide to go to a hotter motor then I'll have to change my gearing.
But for now im sticking with the 9.5 LRP system.
ElectricGuy007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
  #1472
Willystylz
 
Willystylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Barrie, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,934
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

hrmmm i've dropped down from a 24t pinion to a 22t and now i'm at a 20t. The thing is doing wheelies from a standstill but obviously lacks the top speed of the 24t pinion. We need some warmth up here so i can see how hot she gets on a normal summer day.
Willystylz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
  #1473
Willystylz
 
Willystylz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Barrie, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,934
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Thought i may as well post a pic of my E-Firestorm setup And yes that's a lowly Tamiya connector...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50603.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1135348  
Willystylz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
  #1474
redfisher1974
 
redfisher1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PalmerstonOntario, CANADA
Posts: 9,180
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz

Thought i may as well post a pic of my E-Firestorm setup And yes that's a lowly Tamiya connector...
looks good yeah change to deans.....Going out to run mine right now...roads are dry...
redfisher1974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:24 PM
  #1475
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Willystylz
And yes that's a lowly Tamiya connector...
LOL looks kind of steampunk with a brushless esc with an 80s connector.

You can get like 10 sets of knockoff deans for $10.
eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:53 PM.