Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

The wife let me order a new battery pack last night.....Elite 7 cell side by side 5000mah with 12 awg wire and female deans with the upgrade....that should push me into the 40+ mph range...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finished setting up my EZRun 10T system in my E Firestorm. This is a 3900kv setup. When installed with a 2S lipo, it was undergeared. Probably would need to go to a 22t+ pinion to start with.
Instead of getting the pinion, I switched over to 3S lipos. It was super fast with the stock 19t, but the motor was getting too hot after 10 mins. I geared down to a 17t pinion. With this gearing the truck hits 40+ mph, but is geared low enough to drive in grass/sand without overheating. The motor could push an 18t (maybe 19t) on hard pack or pavement.

Now that I am on 3S, I can run two of my helicopter lipos in parallel. This will give me a 4400mah 20C 11.1v power pack.

I am very happy with this system for only $75. Hobbywing has never let me down, nice products at throat cutting prices.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

I have finished setting up my EZRun 10T system in my E Firestorm. This is a 3900kv setup. When installed with a 2S lipo, it was undergeared. Probably would need to go to a 22t+ pinion to start with.
Instead of getting the pinion, I switched over to 3S lipos. It was super fast with the stock 19t, but the motor was getting too hot after 10 mins. I geared down to a 17t pinion. With this gearing the truck hits 40+ mph, but is geared low enough to drive in grass/sand without overheating. The motor could push an 18t (maybe 19t) on hard pack or pavement.

Now that I am on 3S, I can run two of my helicopter lipos in parallel. This will give me a 4400mah 20C 11.1v power pack.

I am very happy with this system for only $75. Hobbywing has never let me down, nice products at throat cutting prices.
Sounds like it has worked out good.....40 is plenty fast...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:30 AM
redfisher1974

Have any of you tried to unglue the tires on your firestorm or is it better just to buy new rims and tires?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
eaterofdog

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Sounds like it has worked out good.....40 is plenty fast...
Yeah I am happy with it. Tons of torque too.

You can boil those tires and rims for 15 minutes and the glue will turn brittle. After it cools, just peel them off.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Arigato

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Have any of you tried to unglue the tires on your firestorm or is it better just to buy new rims and tires?
On my Flux, they unglued themselves.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 AM
KyoshoFTW

so the 50k diff fluid worked out perfectly, i left some room inside too...feels like an outta the box losi diff got the titanium turnbuckles and hpi option shocks with 35wt, she looks purty... also just order aluminum caster blocks, knuckle arms, front brace, rear hub carriers and composite a-arms from a guy overseas. spending WAY to much money on this set up, but hopefully i will "bobby proof" her..ha
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 AM
drjunk

Im after a set of larger diameter wheels,tires for going through long grass and rocky surfaces...any suggestions? Would a set of savage wheels be to much on the gearing?....and if so, would i be able to cure it by fitting a smaller pinon gear, larger spur?....and yes, im a newbe
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 AM
KyoshoFTW

aestetically.....leave rim size alone....my buddy just picked up a traxxas rustler it has 2.8" chrome wheels and low pros, makes me think of an 80's buick with 24's , on a more serious note, just go with a taller tire, anything with a larger diameter is going to heat things up a bit as its going to take more effort to make a full revolution, i would think of retarding the timing a bit too, maybe even play with the gearing as it doesnt sound like your going to be going for speed but for torque and ground clearence...good luck with whatever you decide
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
SuKeZ

I use TRAXXAS 2.8 Talon wheel s with no problem. It's true that you have to decrease a pinion (in my case to 17t), but I've already done it before (with 2.2 wheels) as I was installing MambaMax and playing around with liPo 3s.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
drjunk

Thanks for that, robertbell6 and SuKeZ. Another option i was thinking about was longer shocks for extra ground clearance,...or is this not possible?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
SuKeZ

I have longer shock in the front as I bought a set from [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HPI-Firestorm-Threaded-Aluminum-Front-Rear-Shocks_W0QQitemZ300286438131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRad io_Control_Parts_Accessories]TeamBlueStar[/link] and I really like them! They are much tougher (especially rear) and front of the car is a little bit higher - so better jump landing and handling at all in my point of view so far
Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
drjunk

ORIGINAL: SuKeZ

I have longer shock in the front as I bought a set from [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HPI-Firestorm-Threaded-Aluminum-Front-Rear-Shocks_W0QQitemZ300286438131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRad io_Control_Parts_Accessories]TeamBlueStar[/link] and I really like them! They are much tougher (especially rear) and front of the car is a little bit higher - so better jump landing and handling at all in my point of view so far
That set of shocks really look the buisness.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
rc noober

Seems like i Break something every time i run my e-Firestorm. First day I got it, I broke the front upright set which connects the front left wheel to the steering servo. Managed to do that right after 1 battery pack. About the third time running I broke a body mount pole and got water in the electronics which to my relief didnt kill it. I dried it out and It came back alive. Yesterday I ran it for about 2 minutes before the pinion set screw fell out causing the motor to spin without turning the tranny. by the time i get through Ill have 6 of every part on the thing. Im sure it would happen on other brands too but damn. I just want to bash and all I do is wait for the UPS guy. Im going to buy an E-Revo next. Good Luck me.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
eaterofdog

noober, Just go that way really fast... if something gets in your way, turn.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
kevinschneider22

noober... did you go through your whole truck and adjust/ tighten everything out of the box?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: rc noober

Seems like i Break something every time i run my e-Firestorm. First day I got it, I broke the front upright set which connects the front left wheel to the steering servo. Managed to do that right after 1 battery pack. About the third time running I broke a body mount pole and got water in the electronics which to my relief didnt kill it. I dried it out and It came back alive. Yesterday I ran it for about 2 minutes before the pinion set screw fell out causing the motor to spin without turning the tranny. by the time i get through Ill have 6 of every part on the thing. Im sure it would happen on other brands too but damn. I just want to bash and all I do is wait for the UPS guy. Im going to buy an E-Revo next. Good Luck me.
Your the first person i have seen have that many problems with this rc...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
supercharged347

I've beat mine real bad, the bodys getting to be torn a little here and there and in rough shape, but I've yet to break mine once !
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
KyoshoFTW

i noticed one prob with the sidewinder, not sure if its my jr tx/rx or the brushless, but at about 25-50 ft away, when punching the throttle it glitches a couple times then takes off, like it yanks the wheels up sits down tries again then its fine..... then other times ill take off and its super smooth...has any one else seen this?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Spoold95

I have seen it....Your car do it LOL. JK I have to say I am 95% satisfied with this truck. Im staying away from brushless for awhile and stick with what im native too BRUSHED lol. As for setup right now for me...

Esc - LRP IPC V8.1
Motor - Orion Revolution 10x2
Radio - Airtronics M8 (w/Micro Reciever)
Servo - Airtronics High speed metal gear
Batt - 3300 Orion Rocket pack

Car hauls, but is geared alittle too low at the moment (17t)

Just ordered the composite arm set, stainless screw kit, and graphite kit(from Platinum RC), titanium turnbuckles, and going to start working on my MT2 shock config. or just go with some AE's.

BTW if anyone is intersted, im selling a MRC SB4 V2 pro.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
KyoshoFTW

Anthony, did you run the stock 19t yet?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
KyoshoFTW

ok i just ordered some more goodies, should be here hopefully soon, alum is heavy but..... i went with the alum front brace, alum bulk head, alum caster blocks, alum knuckle arms, alum rear hub carriers, also got graphite a-arms on the way and put an order in the the platinum RC CF batt hold down, front cover and servo saver cover and JR high tq servo. Installed the HPI gold shocks and titanium turnbuckles.... looks gangster Still looking for a decently priced SS screw kit... anyone have any suggestions???
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 AM
CAClark

You'd have to build up your own screw set from parts I think, but this company comes from many recommendations.

http://www.tonysscrews.com/

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
jpvert

Take a look here (http://www.hexcrews.com/) also.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Spoold95

Last night I installed the Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles...Waiting for my stainless screw kit(Kit for Firestorm found on Ebay)...put an order in for the Graphite kit from Platinum (back order though) and ordered my Graphite shocktower from Horizon. Also posted my Team Academy SB V2 Pro so i can focus on the Firestorm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.